Battery suddenly depleted

Marc Robson

May 7, 2013
Visit site
This has been happening for a few weeks (I cannot recall if it started prior to upgrading to 4.3, I think it did) but I kept thinking I just was not paying close enough attention to the battery.

This week I woke and went to check the interwebs. Noticed my phone was reporting 100% charge (please disconnect the charger). I disconnected and read two articles (maybe 6 minutes of browsing). The phone suddenly died without a low-power warning. When I tried to restart, it showed a completely empty battery. I plugged it back in and a few minutes later I pressed power - the battery was now showing 50%. The phone did start and ran fine.

I have the original battery and three spare batteries. This has occurred with the original and at least one of the spares.

Some of the times the screen flickers before the phone dies; looks like an old TV with faint horizontal lines scrolling downward. But not always.

This happens TOO frequently. Any ideas?

I am running stock AT&T/Touchwiz

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This has been happening for a few weeks (I cannot recall if it started prior to upgrading to 4.3, I think it did) but I kept thinking I just was not paying close enough attention to the battery.

This week I woke and went to check the interwebs. Noticed my phone was reporting 100% charge (please disconnect the charger). I disconnected and read two articles (maybe 6 minutes of browsing). The phone suddenly died without a low-power warning. When I tried to restart, it showed a completely empty battery. I plugged it back in and a few minutes later I pressed power - the battery was now showing 50%. The phone did start and ran fine.

I have the original battery and three spare batteries. This has occurred with the original and at least one of the spares.

Some of the times the screen flickers before the phone dies; looks like an old TV with faint horizontal lines scrolling downward. But not always.

This happens TOO frequently. Any ideas?

I am running stock AT&T/Touchwiz

Not entirely sure if this will cure it, but it is worth a shot. Clearing cache in recovery. Here is how: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Any ideas?
Start marking those batteries, and set aside any that are questionable.

Be sure you fully charge any battery once you swap it in, so that you can be sure you're getting accurate calibration data for that particular battery.

Run those babies down to at least 20%, and take screenshots of Settings -> Battery so that you have hard data to go on when you compare the batteries.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Marc Robson

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday was good. Today I switched batteries and had multiple instances. I did mark that battery and put it aside. I will make the screen cap comparisons over the next few days (using a fresh fully charged battery each morning) and look for any patterns.

I have also cleared the cache in recovery.

Thanks for the thoughts !

SoreAintya

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issues with my wwife's S3, Samsung battery and two Anker all showing full charge then dying in a hour or so.
This started happeningafter the update, and the update is the cause. I've done a factory reset to no avail, still drains faster then it should.
What's odd though is it isn't the same results everytime.
My daughter also has an S3 that's still on 4.2 and the batteries work as intended in her device and I'm reluctant to update her phone now because of it.

SoreAintya

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
The odds of 3 batteries dying the exact same time is astronomical...
Also, as I mentioned same batteries in daughter 4.2 S3 work as expected. I even did a factory reset on my wife's phone with nothing installed except Swiftkey and she still had issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raykv23