Bought a "New" & "Unlocked" Samsung Note 9...I Thought!

mbacardi

Jul 29, 2020
Visit site
I have a question and sorry in advance I am only mildly knowledgeable about about the phone operation. I am upgrading from an S8 and I just bought a Note 9 that was advertised as new and unlocked. It came in an unopened box with head phones, charger and operation manual, but was not shrink wrapped. Looks very new.

I put in my AT&T sim card and got it set up. I noticed the firmware is Android 9 and the security patch was dated November 1, 2019. I know there have been numerous security patch releases as my My S8 is on a March 2020 patch. So I tried to manually update the Note 9 and it altered between telling me it was up to date or it would look like it was going to download an update, but would then stop and tell me to try again in 24 hours. I also tried Smart Switch, did a a factory reset and none of thes worked. Called AT&T they told me to call Samsung, who then told me to call At&T.

I did some digging and I discovered that Software build number matches a November 2019 Sprint update (N960UQ3CSJ2). So I got back on the phone with Samsung and gave them my IMEI number and they told me my phone is not only NOT new, it was activated in August 2018, but it was activated on the Sprint network. I called Sprint and they told me they need the prior owner's account info to help me, which is not available.

I figured this is the problem with the update failure. The phone otherwise seems to operate on the AT&T network and I can make calls, text, etc. Before I go and send the phone back, is there any way to get around or remove this Sprint version?

Thanks for your help and hope this makes sense

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't think I'd bother with all of that -- probably best to request a refund or exchange from the seller. But maybe @mustang7757 can suggest something.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Bought a "New" & "Unlocked" Samsung Note 9...I Thought!

The other issue is when you get it unlocked a carrier firmware so it works with other network providers, but it's also supposed to configure each sim that goes on , so if you put the att sim its supposed to have the att splash screen when you start up , its bloatware etc...

Have to be careful as how they did the unlock could come back and relock the phone if they didn't do through proper carrier unlock , ive seen those issues.

mbacardi

Jul 29, 2020
Visit site
So this is the part where I start to get confused. Would I download the most most recent security patch or I see a January 2020 patch that looks to also be the one with Android 10?

If forced the update through odin would it still be a "sprint phone"? I am not sure how this part works and if I can just update the security patch and or the Android 10 as well....

Does the forced update/flash wipe off the old Sprint stuff and then I am on my merry way with my AT&T SIM card and able to get regular security patches going forward through my phone, or would I have to always manually update?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So this is the part where I start to get confused. Would I download the most most recent security patch or I see a January 2020 patch that looks to also be the one with Android 10?

If forced the update through odin would it still be a "sprint phone"? I am not sure how this part works and if I can just update the security patch and or the Android 10 as well....

Does the forced update/flash wipe off the old Sprint stuff and then I am on my merry way with my AT&T SIM card and able to get regular security patches going forward through my phone, or would I have to always manually update?
You would have to flash Att firmware , now here's another catch , Att firmware been hit or miss for getting updates so either your going flash to the next one or get OTA . Going to att firmware should wipe the sprint stuff and put att on it but if it was unlocked properly it would have done this with the sim card .

mbacardi

Jul 29, 2020
Visit site
What is really weird is the phone does have the At&t splash screen when it starts and it for sure has At&t bloatware. However, I think it might be too risky for my skill level to deal with flashing and the ambiguity of what might happen later seems like a pain too.

By the way, I really appreciate your quick reply, as well as everyone else who posted and for the very detailed information!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
What is really weird is the phone does have the At&t splash screen when it starts and it for sure has At&t bloatware. However, I think it might be too risky for my skill level to deal with flashing and the ambiguity of what might happen later seems like a pain too.

By the way, I really appreciate your quick reply, as well as everyone else who posted and for the very detailed information!
Ok perfect then its legit unlock , but you'll need to flash to get it up to current software , i can guide you if needed?

mbacardi

Jul 29, 2020
Visit site
That would be great, my only concern is I assume there is a chance I could "brick it" and then not be able to return it, or would I be able to just do a factory rest and then ship it back if it does not work? Sorry if a dumb question.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Bought a "New" & "Unlocked" Samsung Note 9...I Thought!

That would be great, my only concern is I assume there is a chance I could "brick it" and then not be able to return it, or would I be able to just do a factory rest and then ship it back if it does not work? Sorry if a dumb question.
These are Samsung stock official files , you won't brick , I've helped many with this successfully , your choice ?

mbacardi

Jul 29, 2020
Visit site
That would be great! Can I get back to you tomorrow to start? I just want to hear back from the person I bought the phone from before I make any major change.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This is the steps :

Windows computer needed

Latest Odin can Google it from XDA Forums and download the latest should be 3.13.1 or 3.14.1 / or Frija tool or samfirm (i usually download both)

Download samfirm v0.4.1 tool and frija, extract it with 7zip.

You will extract files for Odin 3.14.1once download with 7zip and will do same for firmware with 7zip .

Put your model number SM-.N960U.region TMB or SPRT select check for updates , then download the FIRMWARE , extract the FIRMWARE with 7zip.

There will be 4 files after you extract the firmware

BL

AP

CP

CSC

Each of those files will go in Odin when you open to the corresponding slots

BL

AP

CP

CSC USE HOME CSC FIILE TO SAVE DATA

Home data slot dont put nothing

connect your phone with cable to computer , once the files are in its slots hit start, once done you'll see pass in Odin and it will reboot

*Make sure you put phone in download mode
*If dont see your phone connected in Odin change cables or ports in computer .

mbacardi

Jul 29, 2020
Visit site
Okay I was able to finally figure out an download odin. i downloaded version 3.14.1, however, I did see there was a version 3.14.4, should I have downloaded that instead? I also downloaded samfim v0.4.1 zip file and the 7zip tool. However I have not used 7zip before and seem stumped at this point....

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Okay I was able to finally figure out an download odin. i downloaded version 3.14.1, however, I did see there was a version 3.14.4, should I have downloaded that instead? I also downloaded samfim v0.4.1 zip file and the 7zip tool. However I have not used 7zip before and seem stumped at this point....
Either one should be fine 3.14.1 or 3.14.4
7zip very easy , locate the file you download with the tool right click and choose extract with 7zip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia