Bought a "New" & "Unlocked" Samsung Note 9...I Thought!

mbacardi

Jul 29, 2020
Visit site
I will try to disable the security (windows 10 and running windows defender and Malwarebytes). Odin seems to recognize my phone and process starts, so this sounds like it could be my problem. Before I posted I went to Best Buy to see the Samsung rep. They said Samsung staff were pulled from stores due to covid, but I managed to get the reps email. He said they stopped flashing phones in the store before they were pulled out. He suggested doing factory reset and re-insert sim card to get phone to update, which did not work. I will update my progress later today. Thank you all again for the input!!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I will try to disable the security (windows 10 and running windows defender and Malwarebytes). Odin seems to recognize my phone and process starts, so this sounds like it could be my problem. Before I posted I went to Best Buy to see the Samsung rep. They said Samsung staff were pulled from stores due to covid, but I managed to get the reps email. He said they stopped flashing phones in the store before they were pulled out. He suggested doing factory reset and re-insert sim card to get phone to update, which did not work. I will update my progress later today. Thank you all again for the input!!
How did you make out with flashing the firmware?

mbacardi

Jul 29, 2020
Visit site
okay I just tried again after i disabled windows firewall, antivirus and malwarebytes. It failed again. Odin recognized my phone. On the first try it seemed to just sit there for long time then I got the failure message. 2nd try it told me "complete(write) operation failed". I have tried all 3 USB ports and two different cables. I read that the kies (program??) can cause this error and needs to be disabled? I do not know how to do that...Going to try my old laptop next...

mbacardi

Jul 29, 2020
Visit site
How did you make out with flashing the firmware?

Hey I just saw a post of your from April 2020 where you helped someone flash their firmware and it sounds like they were having a similar problem as me. You you told them to hit the reboot bootloader tab in odin before hitting start. Here is a screen shot. Reboot Bootloader.png

I also have another question. With Samfirm I can only download the t-mobile firmware. I suppose this is all the same base samsung firmware, correct? I found a link to an AT&T release from January 2020 to Android 10 with the same 2.0 ui (N960USQU3DTA4). Since I am on AT&T should i be trying to use this patch instead?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey I just saw a post of your from April 2020 where you helped someone flash their firmware and it sounds like they were having a similar problem as me. You you told them to hit the reboot bootloader tab in odin before hitting start. Here is a screen shot. View attachment 323257

I also have another question. With Samfirm I can only download the t-mobile firmware. I suppose this is all the same base samsung firmware, correct? I found a link to an AT&T release from January 2020 to Android 10 with the same 2.0 ui (N960USQU3DTA4). Since I am on AT&T should i be trying to use this patch instead?
Hi, the only time you hit reboot bootloader, if for any reason the phone gets stuck while firmware downloads like half way , you need to hit that to restart the phone for Odin again or it won't allow you to flash again.

Try dowmload frija tool also see if it has it

mbacardi

Jul 29, 2020
Visit site
Hi, the only time you hit reboot bootloader, if for any reason the phone gets stuck while firmware downloads like half way , you need to hit that to restart the phone for Odin again or it won't allow you to flash again.

Try dowmload frija tool also see if it has it

Okay I tried my old lap top and followed same instructions as above. Odin said "pass!" Phone has the blue screen with droid figure and says installing system update. It has been about 10 minutes. Do i leave the USB cod in the phone and leave it connected to computer? About how long should it take?

mbacardi

Jul 29, 2020
Visit site
This is the steps :

Windows computer needed

Latest Odin can Google it from XDA Forums and download the latest should be 3.13.1 or 3.14.1 / or Frija tool or samfirm (i usually download both)

Download samfirm v0.4.1 tool and frija, extract it with 7zip.

You will extract files for Odin 3.14.1once download with 7zip and will do same for firmware with 7zip .

Put your model number SM-.N960U.region TMB or SPRT select check for updates , then download the FIRMWARE , extract the FIRMWARE with 7zip.

There will be 4 files after you extract the firmware

BL

AP

CP

CSC

Each of those files will go in Odin when you open to the corresponding slots

BL

AP

CP

CSC USE HOME CSC FIILE TO SAVE DATA

Home data slot dont put nothing

connect your phone with cable to computer , once the files are in its slots hit start, once done you'll see pass in Odin and it will reboot

*Make sure you put phone in download mode
*If dont see your phone connected in Odin change cables or ports in computer .

I finally got it to work by using my old computer and followed the steps above. Phone took about 1/2 hour to restart. After I set it back up it updated over the air and now has Android 10 with July 1, 2020 patch and 2.1 UI installed. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! and sorry for a million posts/questions!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I finally got it to work by using my old computer and followed the steps above. Phone took about 1/2 hour to restart. After I set it back up it updated over the air and now has Android 10 with July 1, 2020 patch and 2.1 UI installed. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! and sorry for a million posts/questions!
Thats great your very welcome!

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Thats great your very welcome!

I've read this entire thread because I see that my pre-order for the Note 20U is a "Sprint' model. I actually do use Sprint, but was thinking of switching my plan over to TMobile. I ordered from Samsung, can I unlock the phone myself? Or is unlocking a device completely different from what's being done here...?

I have rooted many phones in my day, but nothing in the last 3 years or so.

I would like to unlock my device properly and remove all Sprint software.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've read this entire thread because I see that my pre-order for the Note 20U is a "Sprint' model. I actually do use Sprint, but was thinking of switching my plan over to TMobile. I ordered from Samsung, can I unlock the phone myself? Or is unlocking a device completely different from what's being done here...?

I have rooted many phones in my day, but nothing in the last 3 years or so.

I would like to unlock my device properly and remove all Sprint software.

Now that tmobile acquired Sprint you have to call and find out how to sim unlock if thats what your referring to?

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Now that tmobile acquired Sprint you have to call and find out how to sim unlock if thats what your referring to?

I actually called Sprint. The phones auto unlock after 50 days apparently.. I didn't understand how and what "locking" meant, completely. Now I do, I guess the Sprint variant will be fine since it will come with a Sprint SIM and I can get going out of the box of my N10+ Sim didn't work and I can just uninstall the Sprint bloatware. I was considering going over to TMO, so I wanted it Unlocked. They did tell me if I wanted to be TMO to do it before I activate the new device.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I actually called Sprint. The phones auto unlock after 50 days apparently.. I didn't understand how and what "locking" meant, completely. Now I do, I guess the Sprint variant will be fine since it will come with a Sprint SIM and I can get going out of the box of my N10+ Sim didn't work and I can just uninstall the Sprint bloatware. I was considering going over to TMO, so I wanted it Unlocked. They did tell me if I wanted to be TMO to do it before I activate the new device.
So you going do it with sprint 50 days to unlock, i thought tmobile would be sane 45 days activated to unlock if device fully paid .