Bye Bye S22 Ultra

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Just preordered the Fold 4. The Ultra was easily the worst Galaxy phone I've had and I've had all of them since OG. Despite all the tips and tricks in these threads, my battery life has been terrible from jump. Can barely make it thru a day and I'm on WiFi most of the time. Signal strength, despite Samsung's claims to the contrary, is so bad it reminds me of the early days of cell phones in the 90s. Random reboots and the unusable screen in bright sunlight to top it off. Things have been so bad I even tried a 13 Pro Max for 30 days but couldn't handle iOS.

Hoping the new generation of chip on the Fold 4 will restore my faith in Samsung.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Wow good luck with your Fold 4 I'm sure it will be a great phone ...sorry to hear of the issues with the S22 Ultra as it's definitely not the normal issues I've heard about the phone ...in my experience as well has been excellent with most everything and screen brightness one of the best in market ...but I can hear your frustration if you had issues ...

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh, no! That's too bad that your experience with the S22 Ultra was unfavorable! But at least you know what works for you and were able to decide on a new device instead! Let us know how you like your new Fold 4!

Last edited:

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Enjoy the new Fold. I think it would be an interesting phone to have and play with but there are pros and cons to both. To me they are different phones for different wants/needs. That's why I kinda wonder with your criticisms of the S22U and hoping to get in the Fold 4 if you are really gonna get that.

I mean just two things... I'll be surprised if your battery life will be any better on the Fold. I haven't read many posts where people said the battery on the Fold is so much better than the S22U and I don't think that will change even with a 2nd gen processor. Second is screen brightness. I live in Florida and if I let it go Adaptive, that 1700+ is plenty bright in this Ft. Lauderdale sun. My N20U was already bright enough at 1500 nits and now you have 1700 nits. I think with the Fold 3 it was 1300 nits max?? So it will be less than the N20U? :confused:

DXOMark:
"The Z Fold3 is very functional in indoor conditions, but lacks brightness outdoors, making content difficult to perceive; darker details are lost, especially in direct sunlight."

Won't know really until they come out and read posts though. Enjoy.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Enjoy the new Fold. I think it would be an interesting phone to have and play with but there are pros and cons to both. To me they are different phones for different wants/needs. That's why I kinda wonder with your criticisms of the S22U and hoping to get in the Fold 4 if you are really gonna get that.

I mean just two things... I'll be surprised if your battery life will be any better on the Fold. I haven't read many posts where people said the battery on the Fold is so much better than the S22U and I don't think that will change even with a 2nd gen processor. Second is screen brightness. I live in Florida and if I let it go Adaptive, that 1700+ is plenty bright in this Ft. Lauderdale sun. My N20U was already bright enough at 1500 nits and now you have 1700 nits. I think with the Fold 3 it was 1300 nits max?? So it will be less than the N20U? :confused:

DXOMark:
"The Z Fold3 is very functional in indoor conditions, but lacks brightness outdoors, making content difficult to perceive; darker details are lost, especially in direct sunlight."

Won't know really until they come out and read posts though. Enjoy.

There are posts here from others like me they when the phone is outside in bright sunlight the phone immediately gets hot and the screen dims automatically regardless of settings. It's infuriating. Never had a phone heat up so quickly and I lived in south FL for over 20 years!

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
There are posts here from others like me they when the phone is outside in bright sunlight the phone immediately gets hot and the screen dims automatically regardless of settings. It's infuriating. Never had a phone heat up so quickly and I lived in south FL for over 20 years!

Interesting. I've noticed these slabs can really soak up the heat either directly or indirectly in these summer conditions. But fortunately for me nothing more than other phones I've had. I have read people that have reported phones getting abnormally hot. When did you purchase your phone? First runs at launch?

Maybe you got unlucky with a build that runs on the hot side.

I keep thinking of the reports where Samsung was having a hard time producing the SnapDragons getting only around 30% yield where Qualcomm then gave chip manufacturing from Samsung to that Taiwanese company. Just because 30% of chips passed doesn't mean they could be on the high end of tolerances. But just a personal thought.

Good luck with this one.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Interesting. I've noticed these slabs can really soak up the heat either directly or indirectly in these summer conditions. But fortunately for me nothing more than other phones I've had. I have read people that have reported phones getting abnormally hot. When did you purchase your phone? First runs at launch?

Maybe you got unlucky with a build that runs on the hot side.

I keep thinking of the reports where Samsung was having a hard time producing the SnapDragons getting only around 30% yield where Qualcomm then gave chip manufacturing from Samsung to that Taiwanese company. Just because 30% of chips passed doesn't mean they could be on the high end of tolerances. But just a personal thought.

Good luck with this one.

Bought it in the initial wave of pre orders. Within a few days I regretted trading in my S21 Ultra which was the best Samsung I've ever had. Figured things would get better with updates but that never happened.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that you've had such bad luck with your S22 Ultra. I hope you'll have much better results with your new Fold 4. Let us know how it works out for you.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
My experience with my 22 ultra has been the opposite of yours but there have been some that did have your complaints but was resolved when they returned their phone and got a replacement. It sounds like you had one of the defective ones. It does happen. I hope the fold 4 works much better for you.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Good luck on the new device but the s22u and fold ⁴ chips are almost same and s22u bigger battery, hopefully works out for you.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
My fold³ like brand new still
Wow that's great I just can't see a plastic screen opening and closing at least 75 times a days which is what I would need. Does the crease look worse as it gets older? Does dirt and grit scratch it? Very courious about these folding devices but currently I need a larger phone with a bright screen due to my eyes that why I just picked up the S 22 Ultra yesterday which seem to fit me perfect.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Wow that's great I just can't see a plastic screen opening and closing at least 75 times a days which is what I would need. Does the crease look worse as it gets older? Does dirt and grit scratch it? Very courious about these folding devices but currently I need a larger phone with a bright screen due to my eyes that why I just picked up the S 22 Ultra yesterday which seem to fit me perfect.

Yeah just keep clean like any other phone and be no issues, I've open lot of times over course bof the day not sure number count but no issues there also , I use to use it like tablet but now I'm using it as a phone and tablet and love it , I've said it few times in the Forum it's my favorite device, once they make it with built in Spen that's all I'll be getting in the future.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
If it was 15 years ago I would have the Z flip for sure. My favorite device of all time was the Blackberry flip phone I really miss it.

jettie1767

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I preordered the Fold 4 and GW 5 Pro yesterday trading in my S22 Ultra for $1000 plus a $400 discount coupon. I had the Fold 3 but needed the S22U for better pictures during my travel to Asia last May. I think with the Fold 4 getting the same cameras as the S22+, it will produce better quality pics than the Fold 3. I hope I get it by Aug. 26.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I too will be trading my S22U for the Fold 4. My S22U would occasionally overheat and become sluggish and I get constant 5G dropouts. I'm sure this is probably just my issues.

I'm looking forward to see what the new 8 gen 1 plus (or whatever it's called) does better with overheating and battery life.

As we know Samsung makes it easy to get a new device with trade in offers and free goodies. So basically why not do it?

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
My Fold³ only just about scraped to the end of the day most of the time but others I had to top it up.

It's now my back up phone.

I wanted / needed the sPen housed and not in my pocket or inserted into a bulky case.

This led me to buying the Samsung Galaxy s²² Ultra and haven't suffered buyers remorse or experienced the issues you unfortunately have.

I appreciate we all set up our phone's differently and use different apps and use them differently however I get around two days of usage.

I wish you well with the Fold⁴ and look forward to your thoughts on it perhaps after owning it for a month or two.

I wish you all the best. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred