Can i perform OTA updates after root if i dont have CWM or TWRP installed ??

u4atharva

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys.. This is my first post and i am kinda new to rooting..

I did some research and rooted my nexus 4 using the NRT 1.6.3
I didn't install CWM or TWRP (Kept the flash CWM option unchecked under the ROOT button)

So basically I just have the Root access for the phone. Nothing more (i guess)

So am I still running on Stock Android ????

Moreover when any system updates comes in the future, can i perform the OTA updates or do i have to download it and install it from the recovery mode ???

Some people say that if u didn't install CWM or TWRP (Like i did), u can normally perform the OTA updates without any extra steps :eek:

But If u have CWM, then there are chances of bricking the phone..

I am confused. Any help would be much much appreciated :)

Victor Slavov

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you are running stock Android. About the OTA updates, I do not know myself. I am currently using the Paranoid Android custom ROM.

Installing a Custom Recovery isn't a big deal, since everything is 100% automated in your case. I would recommend you installing either TWRP or CWM and creating a NANDROID backup, which is basically a FULL backup of your phone. This way you are sure you can almost always fix your phone if something goes wrong.

Good luck! :)

u4atharva

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. :)
I gave a thought to installing a custom ROM, but decided to stay with the stock android for some time. In near future I'll install it anyway.

If anyone could guide me with whether i can perform OTA updates or not, it will be of great help :)

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
You should install a custom recovery, it is really useful in some situations. Also, I know that if you have twrp you can still accept ota through the normal way. Dont know about cwm though.

Toronadian

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
You should install a custom recovery, it is really useful in some situations. Also, I know that if you have twrp you can still accept ota through the normal way. Dont know about cwm though.

Can you explain to me how? I'm running stock 4.2.2 rooted with franco kernel and .33 baseband, but know how to get it back to .48 radio and possibly stock kernel. With just stock 4.2.2, and stock kernel and baseband with TWRP, how would I get OTA update? Want to know with 4.3 seemingly coming soon.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Can you explain to me how? I'm running stock 4.2.2 rooted with franco kernel and .33 baseband, but know how to get it back to .48 radio and possibly stock kernel. With just stock 4.2.2, and stock kernel and baseband with TWRP, how would I get OTA update? Want to know with 4.3 seemingly coming soon.

Flash the appropriate kernel and baseband that match your android version (all must be stock for the OTA to install), backup your root with Rootkeeper, or just root again after the OTA.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Toronadian

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Flash the appropriate kernel and baseband that match your android version (all must be stock for the OTA to install), backup your root with Rootkeeper, or just root again after the OTA.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Thanks for that. I have read though, that Franco Kernel changes more than just "regular" kernel files (for lack of better wording) and thus if I was to restore stock kernel either by myself or through his app, there's still some things that have been changed that are not stock. I'll probably need to restore a stock image. Or using a nandroid backup I made right after rooting and unlocking bootloader will be enough to get back to stock, then downloading the zip of the new Android update, and flashing it on my phone?

Sorry for the poor wording, not exactly the most tech savvy.

kingseanrocks

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
You should install a custom recovery but ota updates can sometimes unroot your phone but developers will often root the ota then you can flash it through your recovery.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that. I have read though, that Franco Kernel changes more than just "regular" kernel files (for lack of better wording) and thus if I was to restore stock kernel either by myself or through his app, there's still some things that have been changed that are not stock. I'll probably need to restore a stock image. Or using a nandroid backup I made right after rooting and unlocking bootloader will be enough to get back to stock, then downloading the zip of the new Android update, and flashing it on my phone?

Sorry for the poor wording, not exactly the most tech savvy.

Yes.. the backup you made will include the stock kernel and all stock files then, it is good that you made one before tinkering then :)

You should install a custom recovery but ota updates can sometimes unroot your phone but developers will often root the ota then you can flash it through your recovery.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Nexus OTA's don't have a wait time for devs to root them.. it's stock Android, you just flash superuser.zip and you are rooted :)

kwayku

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I guess so . I had some issues with my galaxy nexus which include random reboot, I told it to the Samsung assistance store for repair. I was running android 4.2.2, after waiting for five weeks and had the phone back my bootloader was unlocked and the phone was running stock android 4.0.4. I was very furious on how to lock the bootloader back but I couldn't , so I formatted the phone , wipe the cache and rebooted. signed is my google account went to about phone system update and I see the phone receiving a system update for android 4.1...
So it did, currently i'm Gnexus is running on android 4.3 the latest version and all of that through the ota. SO YEAH YOU WILL only if your running stock android on your nexus
:cool:

Ninad Patil95

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
When i was installing a custom rom, something went wrong and the system crashed. I accidentally wiped all my data and my stock backup was gone. So now i don't have my stock and have ViperRom installed on my htc one. So can i still get the OTA update.?
And i have CWM recovery

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
When i was installing a custom rom, something went wrong and the system crashed. I accidentally wiped all my data and my stock backup was gone. So now i don't have my stock and have ViperRom installed on my htc one. So can i still get the OTA update.?
And i have CWM recovery

Being on a custom rom, you don't need the ota update. The dev for the rom you are using will most likely update the rom to the latest build. If you are wanting to go back to stock, you have a couple of options. You can flash a rooted stock rom and radio or you can flash the factory image. There are guides here.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

dcb4l77

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
So you're saying if you use twrp you can still update via ota? I still get the prompt to update but it just goes to twrp recovery. What should I do from there?

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genxathletix