Can the Note 8 shoot RAW images?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
from the manual:

REAR CAMERA
• Picture size: Select a resolution for photos. Using a higher resolution will result in higher
quality photos, but they will take up more memory.
Tap the Save RAW and JPEG files switch to set the device to save photos as
uncompressed RAW files (DNG file format) in pro mode. RAW files retain all of a photo’s
data for the best image quality, but they will take up more memory.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
from the manual:

REAR CAMERA
• Picture size: Select a resolution for photos. Using a higher resolution will result in higher
uncompressed RAW files (DNG file format) in pro mode. RAW files retain all of a photo’s

Thanks - I swear I looked at that screen 10 times and didn't see the switch at the bottom!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
RAW files retain all of a photo’s
data for the best image quality...
Talk about a misleading manual.

RAW files do retain all the sensor data, but they are a "digital negative" that require editing. Often times RAW files look dull and flat, but by having all of the data, the final edited jpeg can look better than the camera created jpeg. You can't even view a RAW file in your average everyday image viewer.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

RAW files do retain all the sensor data, but they are a "digital negative" that require editing. Often times RAW files look dull and flat, but by having all of the data, the final edited jpeg can look better than the camera created jpeg. You can't even view a RAW file in your average everyday image viewer.

The manual isn't misleading - the RAW file contains all of the data that the sensor captures, but, yes, it does require computer-editing (which can be done on the phone, but it won't do a very good job). The RAW file isn't a "negative" (you may be thinking of Adobe's DNG format - very poorly named!) - it is a positive image.

RAW images have over 90% more data than JPEG images, as the JPEG images that a camera/phone produces is a RAW image that has been "processed" by the camera/phone to look the way the camera/phone "thinks" it should look like. The problem is, it may not be the way YOU want it to look.

That's why most advanced amateurs and pros shoot RAW - they want a say in how the final image looks.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The manual isn't misleading - the RAW file contains all of the data that the sensor captures, but, yes, it does require computer-editing (which can be done on the phone, but it won't do a very good job). The RAW file isn't a "negative" (you may be thinking of Adobe's DNG format - very poorly named!) - it is a positive image.

I agree with everything else you said, but not quite this. RAW files, regardless of format, are often referred to in the photography realm as a digital negative. Meaning they require processing/editing just like a film negative requires processing. Programs like Lightroom are thus often referred to as a digital dark room. I get what you're saying, so perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my reply.

My issue with the manual is they make it look like:

RAW = better image

When in reality, it's more like:
RAW + color corrections + highlight and shadow adjustments + optional elements (I.e. Adding a sun burst) = A better representation of your ideal image

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Almost every viewer I’ve used will view dng files because the contain an embedded low resolution jpg image. You are correct that the viewer can’t view the actual raw data, but most image viewers will allow a person to view the embedded jpg.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
A raw file contains a lot more than 90% more data than a jpg. Jpgs are only 8 bits ni depth. DNG files are usually 12 or more bits in depth.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

RAW images have over 90% more data than JPEG images, as the JPEG images that a camera/phone produces is a RAW image that has been "processed" by the camera/phone to look the way the camera/phone "thinks" it should look like. The problem is, it may not be the way YOU want it to look.

That's why most advanced amateurs and pros shoot RAW - they want a say in how the final image looks.

Most mobile editing apps aren't great, but Lightroom is almost identical in features and seems to create the same results as my computer. It's just a pain to use a small screen and takes more time, harder to make fine adjustments.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I agree with everything else you said, but not quite this. RAW files, regardless of format, are often referred to in the photography realm as a digital negative. Meaning they require processing/editing just like a film negative requires processing. Programs like Lightroom are thus often referred to as a digital dark room. I get what you're saying, so perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my reply.
Correct.

RAW files are hardly the prettiest. They can be exposed higher, have a weird tint or other stuff that requires editing in an image processor like Lightroom.

Like members of my photography club said, you shoot RAW if you want to edit as their nature of containing more image data means you can do more edits to it before it starts wrecking the image. If you’re just shooting to share, JPGs will be fine.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Like members of my photography club said, you shoot RAW if you want to edit as their nature of containing more image data means you can do more edits to it before it starts wrecking the image. If you’re just shooting to share, JPGs will be fine.

I like comparing editing to a steak. Saving as a jpeg in camera is like ordering a steak at a restaurant. You have a little control over how it's made, but it's still prepared as the chef sees fit and usually turns out ok. Saving as a RAW file is like bringing a raw steak home and cooking it yourself, giving you full control over how it's made but takes some trial and error before you get really good at it.

anon(10376564)

Dec 15, 2017
Visit site
from the manual:

REAR CAMERA

I guess I'm a bit dense. I still can't figure how to get my Note 8 to save image files in RAW (or DNG) format. FYI, my model is a SM-N950U which I purchased as Factory Unlocked through Amazon and activated through ATT. It therefore has only Samsung apps.

I can find the setting to get the camera in Pro mode but after that I can't find the setting to save as a raw file. Can someone take me through it step by step?

Thanks, Bob

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I like comparing editing to a steak. Saving as a jpeg in camera is like ordering a steak at a restaurant. You have a little control over how it's made, but it's still prepared as the chef sees fit and usually turns out ok. Saving as a RAW file is like bringing a raw steak home and cooking it yourself, giving you full control over how it's made but takes some trial and error before you get really good at it.

I really like that explanation :)
If the chef could now learn how I want MY steak... every time.... I wouldn't need to learn about photography :)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I really like that explanation :)
If the chef could now learn how I want MY steak... every time.... I wouldn't need to learn about photography :)
Lol, thanks. I'm in a beginner photography group on Facebook and use that analogy a lot when people ask about RAW files. It always hits the mark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucike8