Question Can't update android version

mkazi007

Mar 16, 2024
Visit site
I have an old LG G4 LS991 running android 6.0 , when i go to the update center , it only shows app updates & there's no software update option. Is there any way to update the android version?

mkazi007

Mar 16, 2024
Visit site
Yes and yes
Although most banking apps won't work because of having to root.
Can i revert back to the current Android OS if i don't like Lineage or anything bad happens during the proccess. Do u have any proper instructions to install it on my LG G4 LS 991 ? Or is there any other way to install regular Android updates manually?

Last edited:

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Well I haven't done it in a number of years and I'm foggy on the commands needed. But XDA developers does have totorials and there are plenty of how to's on YouTube. As for reverting back? No, it involves reflashing stock os. So needless to say, any data not backed up will be permanently lost.
Maybe you should be looking to buy a newer phone instead.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
You're wasting a lot of time and effort trying to force your phone to update itself to a more current Android version. Unless you go through the arduous process of educating yourself on coding and Android development so you can take the Android source code and compile it to work with your phone (.... odds are a phone this dated simple won't be fully functional afterwards as there are hardware limitations that newer software won't support). There are no third-party firmware projects for your model so this will all be on you. Your phone was manufactured by a company that has exited the phone market (LG) and it's a carrier-locked model to a carrier that's gone (Sprint).

Buy a new or at least newer phone and stop frustrating yourself.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

mkazi007

Mar 16, 2024
Visit site
I agree, but i just wanted to utilize this for my another number which i need only to make calls. Is there any way to unlock it and use it internationally ? I might not need to update it.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I just want to chime in and say you should buy a lotto ticket if the phone is lucky enough to be problem free (aside from the version question). The G4 had a design flaw that made it prone to solder losing connection and bricking the phone unless you literally put it in a freezer. For yours to be working at all after this much time is rather amazing in and of itself.

But to your original question and potential defects aside, a phone that old really shouldn't be used for anything except maybe an offline media player. It's old enough that LG just announced a new G4 device this year, which is an OLED TV. LOL

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I agree, but i just wanted to utilize this for my another number which i need only to make calls. Is there any way to unlock it and use it internationally ? I might not need to update it.
Sprint replied upon CDMA cellular networks, most carriers used and use GSM so Sprint phones were outliers that weren't very compatible with most other phones. There's a cellular radio chip inside all our smartphones, it's that chip that determines all the cellular network connectivity abilities. So this is a low-level hardware thing, not anything a software thing can get past.

There's still the option to use WiFi only, no cellular at all. But when you're outside than you might not have any consistent WiFi connectivity, here in the U.S. or internationally. So sporadic online connectivity with just WiFi might or might not work out for you.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d