Question The YouTube app's version.

Fred V1

Jun 5, 2019
Visit site
Screenshot_2023-10-20-23-18-34-01.jpeg
I received a "Switch to YouTube.com" massage from the YouTube app and it permanently cut off all access to the app because "This version is outdated. There are no updates available in your device." Naturally, I was furious, as it feels like YouTube wants to punish anyone who can't afford a new device or unable to update their old OS or the YT app, it feels like an insult.

I tried clearing the app data and the so-called outdated version clearly functions properly, only for the same message to return and block all access. I think YouTube doesn't care about those who can't catch up. My OS version is one number above 5.

Should I delete and reinstall the app?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you access the YouTube website using your browser?

I realize that not everyone can afford buying the latest and greatest device, but using a device on Android 5 or 6 is a significant security risk, since it's so old, and many security flaws have gone unpatched ever since it stopped getting updates.

Like it or not, it's not uncommon for very old versions of an app to stop working. Tech progress marches on, and unfortunately that means things get obsolete more quickly than before. Android 6 is 8 years old, and not even Apple supports their devices for that long.

Fred V1

Jun 5, 2019
Visit site
Can you access the YouTube website using your browser?

I realize that not everyone can afford buying the latest and greatest device, but using a device on Android 5 or 6 is a significant security risk, since it's so old, and many security flaws have gone unpatched ever since it stopped getting updates.

Like it or not, it's not uncommon for very old versions of an app to stop working. Tech progress marches on, and unfortunately that means things get obsolete more quickly than before. Android 6 is 8 years old, and not even Apple supports their devices for that long.
Can APKs at least remedy the issue?

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Can APKs at least remedy the issue?
Probably not, as the latest version requires the OS to be Android 8 or newer. It's possible that YouTube is blocking access to apps beyond a certain version.

You might find a version that is newer than what you have that still supports Android 5, but if YouTube is actively blocking it on the server side, there's nothing you can do.

Can you just use the browser as has been asked already? That's probably your only option.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred