Considering an Android phone for the first time ever - need help

Coreldan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So I've been a pretty die hard MS fan so all devices and services I use are in Microsofts ecosystem. And I do plan to keep it that way, but recently it struck me: the reasons I originally got a Windows Phone are pretty much no longer there, 1) integrated FB chat is going away with next update 2) Nokia (I'm from Finland :D) is pretty much no more 3) I really like MS services and I wouldn't switch to Googl equivalents, but I realized that ALL the same services are nowadays available on Android too, and quite often the apps for said services are better than on WP too

Anyways, I always sport high end phones that please me aesthetically too. It says ALOT about Xperia Z2 that it has managed to get me interested in Androd for the first time ever. This is something no other phone has ever managed to do.

Never having used Android except for like.. setting up mother-in-laws tablet and some demo units in stores, I have some questions that I need answered before I make any jumps, most of them are related to what can I do without rooting the phone:

1) Can I change a custom background/wallpaper of my choosing without rooting the phone?

2) Can I use custon MP3s as ringtones without rooting the phone?

3) Are there some specific things I cant do without rooting? What kind of work it is to root the phone, also how legal is that with warranty in mind?

4) Im pretty sure I found the answer to it, but can I sync my Outlook.com email and calendar to the phones built in calendars etc, so that I dont have to use a different app just for that? I'm not a fan of the "there's an app for that"-ideology, I want integration as far as possible, which is why I now consider moving away from WP cos it has moved from integration to apps, but if it goes to that, I rather take the apps that are better made.

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
You actually can do quite alot without rooting (and according to this Rooting your Android | Android Central the Xperia hasn't even been able to be rooted yet).

Yes you can change wallpapers and ringtones. I haven't used the Xperia personally, but most stock email and calendar functions can be synced with your existing ones. Custom launchers, which also don't require root, allow you to apply themes, change icons, add gesture controls and a whole host of other customizations.

Here's a great article about what root can and can't do for you:
There is no magic in root | Android Central

Coreldan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I guess partially cos US availability is limited, this Xperia Z2 forum here is very quiet..

I wonder though if Office and OneDrive apps work properly on the Z2? I read about some issues with them on a G3, but this would be a deal breaker for me if they don't work reasonably.

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a shop there with demo units? See if you can download the app and try it out. Or if you're buying thru a carrier, most have a 10-30 day trial period.

Coreldan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just dont feel like putting my MS-account details into demo units :D

Around here we don't have such trial periods, not to mention I wouldnt buy on a contract anyways, it's not any cheaper than buying upfront unlocked in here.

blackguard

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
So I've been a pretty die hard MS fan so all devices and services I use are in Microsofts ecosystem. And I do plan to keep it that way, but recently it struck me: the reasons I originally got a Windows Phone are pretty much no longer there, 1) integrated FB chat is going away with next update 2) Nokia (I'm from Finland :D) is pretty much no more 3) I really like MS services and I wouldn't switch to Googl equivalents, but I realized that ALL the same services are nowadays available on Android too, and quite often the apps for said services are better than on WP too

Anyways, I always sport high end phones that please me aesthetically too. It says ALOT about Xperia Z2 that it has managed to get me interested in Androd for the first time ever. This is something no other phone has ever managed to do.

Never having used Android except for like.. setting up mother-in-laws tablet and some demo units in stores, I have some questions that I need answered before I make any jumps, most of them are related to what can I do without rooting the phone:

1) Can I change a custom background/wallpaper of my choosing without rooting the phone?

2) Can I use custon MP3s as ringtones without rooting the phone?

3) Are there some specific things I cant do without rooting? What kind of work it is to root the phone, also how legal is that with warranty in mind?

4) Im pretty sure I found the answer to it, but can I sync my Outlook.com email and calendar to the phones built in calendars etc, so that I dont have to use a different app just for that? I'm not a fan of the "there's an app for that"-ideology, I want integration as far as possible, which is why I now consider moving away from WP cos it has moved from integration to apps, but if it goes to that, I rather take the apps that are better made.

1. Yes and even more than that! The Xperia themes will also make changes deep into your system to change the look of your app drawers, your settings menus and screens, and even your navigation buttons :) no root required, it's a built in feature. There are several presets and you can buy more for a buck or two right from the themes screen. I have the Android L nav buttons on mine now

2. yup, this is standard for all android phones

3. If you have to ask my best advice is don't even bother. Unless you're a real tinkerer and do it for sport there's not much incentive to root nowadays.

4. not sure never tried outlook cal.

Bryanksees

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
In android, You have a mail folder. You add acct by just typing in your email and password. The phone does all the work for you. I have a Microsoft email (outlook) and Gmail ( they both show up. you can also do combined view for multiple email addresses. I have about 4 on my GalaxyS4. Mine, work, girlfriends, and my sec email acct. I love android. Ive used iphone and windows before. Hands down android is the best in my book. "You said, there is an app for that". Android is basically ALL apps. everything you use is an app. Some are built in from google or the phone provider (aka samsung). I dont have my phone rooted and I havnt had a problem with anything. You really dont need it rooted. Theres are easy apps to make custome ringtones from mp3s, I use "MP3 cutter and ringtone maker". You can make ANY picture on earth your background. You can also make your lockscreen a different picture or the same picture. Not sure about rooting, never did it, dont think you need to

thatdennis

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Hey same here, I love MS services (until they screwed things up). So here:

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Don't bother rooting unless you want to make your phone really customised.
4. Yes

Sent from my D6503 using Mobile Nations mobile app