Cyanogenmod 10

tayl428

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I've linked to it, but haven't tried it yet, life has been calling lately. FYI, There's also S-Voice and Google Now development going on for the Evo that is making great headway. Why would I ever want to buy a new phone? I think the Evo will run forever. lol

audiman2001

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
it's a great mod, but there are a lot of bugs... the camera doesn't work the mp3 player doesn't work.. if you run a CPU tuner with it, it will crash...

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I've linked to it, but haven't tried it yet, life has been calling lately. FYI, There's also S-Voice and Google Now development going on for the Evo that is making great headway. Why would I ever want to buy a new phone? I think the Evo will run forever. lol

That's my thinking too for now. Why drop $200 + another $50 for accessories on a new EvoLTE when we have all these new roms still being cranked out for the Evo4G. I mean, you can make your Evo have most of the features the new S3 has. When development dries up I'll make the switch.

Sent from my rooted NookColor using Android Central Forums

audiman2001

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
That's my thinking too for now. Why drop $200 + another $50 for accessories on a new EvoLTE when we have all these new roms still being cranked out for the Evo4G. I mean, you can make your Evo have most of the features the new S3 has. When development dries up I'll make the switch.

Sent from my rooted NookColor using Android Central Forums

And new features the s3 doesn't have.. that isn't go in to be released until at least 2013...

Sent from my evo 4g running JB

audiman2001

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Also another little tid bit is video is not supported yet.. or maybe its just my phone but it crashes every time I try to watch video

Illusions

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
It seems like CM10 development and communication from JMZ has stopped...no news, posts, or development seen for a week now (and counting). I am wondering if something has happened...

If anyone knows anything, please advise.

P.S.
For those not familiar with JMZ, he does very good work and is usually on the leading edge. Very responsive and helpful from what I have seen on various forums.

tayl428

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed this too. Seems like a LOT of the JB threads have gone near-silent lately. Not really sure why. I enjoyed JMZ's JB rom too, I still go back to it every now and then, but I really missed my camera when I wanted it.

On top of that, I really liked learning the TWRP recovery integration with GooManager. It makes updating nightlies a near-automatic breeze.

Illusions

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Tayl428, I have not used the new TWRP recovery. It always seemed like a work in progress that wasn't ready for prime-time. Is the program compatible with prior "backups" from other software like Rom Manager or RA -- so you don't lose older saved versions.

You mention the ease of downloading and updating using GooManager. I have seen the functionality but I have been reluctant to give up control. Will GooManager work with other recovery programs or only TWRP?

tayl428

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Tayl428, I have not used the new TWRP recovery. It always seemed like a work in progress that wasn't ready for prime-time. Is the program compatible with prior "backups" from other software like Rom Manager or RA -- so you don't lose older saved versions.

You mention the ease of downloading and updating using GooManager. I have seen the functionality but I have been reluctant to give up control. Will GooManager work with other recovery programs or only TWRP?

That is a downside, TWRP recovery is not directly compatible with CWM (I can't speak for RA, but a quick google search tells me 'no'). I don't believe you will be able to restore old backups without reflashing the old recovery image as well. (someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong). RA is getting pretty long in the tooth though, it's been around for a while. TWRP, touch-CWM, or other newer recoveries are evolutions of the Android recovery process.

GooManager needs something that is compatible with OpenRecoveryScript. It needs to act as an API between app and recovery, and CWM and RA doesn't do this. GooManager automatically creates a script at the app level and passes that to the recovery level so it can execute the script. I can definitely understand your hesitance on releasing control on the process, but it's pretty straightforward automation, about like old batch files in DOS. It also has some decent built-in error control handling, so I decided to give it a whirl. Even if you don't use GooManager, just the TWRP recovery is nice because you can do more with it, and with the newer phones that have larger memory, it's faster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Illusions

audiman2001

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I agree it has gona completely silent.. ive been waiting doe the release of 1.5 for JB so some things that don't work now were supposed to be fixed.. I may have to reflash a new ROM.. buy I love JB its going to be sad to get rid of it..:(

Illusions

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Tayl428, I meant to ask you one other question -- do you use A2SD? If so, did you upgrade to class 10 microSD card?

I use CWM Touch and I think I will stick with it for now. I don't see compelling reason to change to TWRP (particularly if not compatible).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trexgameaz