ARCHIVED: [DEAD ROM] ThundeROM V1.8.3 4/5/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
i was looking at that new app wifi tethering... doesn't wifi hot spot do the same thing?

The end result is the same, but the wifi hotspot widget that was used previously just exploited Android's built-in wifi tethering ability and bypassed Sprint's attempted lock-down of it. That loophole was closed with the VD update, so wifi hotspot is now something that will only work if you pay Sprint to use it. However, rooted phones can still use third-party wifi tethering apps (as opposed to Android's built-in tethering), and the new wifi tethering app included with ThundeROM is one of those apps.

jimismallz

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Before I update from v9 to VD I want to make sure I am doing this right. I'm currently running ThuneROM-1.6.2-Deluxe with Zefie Xionia.005 Kernel (all through LegoROM)

So can I just follow KSmith's steps?
1) Download and place a VC or VD ROM on the root of your SD card
2) Go into custom recovery and make a nand backup.
3) Boot back into android run LG updater tool.
4) Shut off phone after update
5) Go into recovery. While the phone is off press and hold volume down, home, power button.
6) Restore the backup you made in step 2
7) Flash the VC or VD based ROM you placed on SD card in step 1

Do I have to worry about the kernel or when I flash the new ThundeROM will that over ride everything I have done prior to this? I'm just confused if ThunderROM 1.8 installs it's own kernel. Thanks!

kpfeiffer

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Before I update from v9 to VD I want to make sure I am doing this right. I'm currently running ThuneROM-1.6.2-Deluxe with Zefie Xionia.005 Kernel (all through LegoROM)

5) Go into recovery. While the phone is off press and hold volume down, home, power button.

Do I have to worry about the kernel or when I flash the new ThundeROM will that over ride everything I have done prior to this? I'm just confused if ThunderROM 1.8 installs it's own kernel. Thanks!

Yes. I did this to my husband's phone this afternoon. He was running 1.62 V9. Took me about 30ish minutes total and was super easy! It works because the updates don't touch custom recovery or break root if you are using the LG Update Tool from what I understand.

Reactions: jimismallz

bullman2410

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

This has worked for many. I did something pretty similar.

1) Dload and place VC/VD ROM of choice on root of SD card
2) Go into custom recovery and make a nand backup
3)Boot back into android and run LG updater tool (when it has completed it will reboot your phone automatically, let it reboot completely)
4) power off phone
5) Go into custom recovery by pressing volume down, home, and power button at the same time

(this is where I did it a little different)

6) make another nand backup
7) while still in recovery wipe data/cache/dalvik cache
8) flash ROM that was placed on root of SD card in step 1

Both ways gets to the same results. I wiped data just to be safe since I was coming from Lego ROM to ThundeRom but I'm not sure if it is necessary or not. I was nervous to do this whole process, but it ended up being pretty easy and straightforward. LG update will take 10+ minutes and booting up after you've flashed your new VC/VD Rom takes a little while as well (5 min give or take).

glitchsta

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Ok, installed 1.8 tonight and I like how u see android 2.2.2 thing is I would like to overclock so I flashes Xionia 008 me kernal, booted up to 2.2.1 so my question did the of kernel take me back to 2.2.1 obviously.... so hopefully an oc kernal will come out for 2.2.2. Also which buildprop works best as I got low quadrant scores with all... I am curently running deluxe buildprop lcd 140 as I like the increased resolution. Just wanted higher quadrant and Linpack scores. What can I do I want to run TR1.8 faster??? Thanks -Glitchsta

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Bone_Enterprise

Nov 12, 2010
www.digital-ops.net
I have not been able to use the WiFi Teather app myself, when I execute it it brings up a message that says "Tether started with errors, please check log."

It fails on ste 6 and 7 of 10:
~ Timestamp ~
Starting softap...
Failed

~ Timestamp ~
Activating WiFi Interface...
Failed

The only thing from default settings I changed was enabling wifi encryption and changing the SSID, would removing and re-installing this app by itself solve this issue?

jstntp

/\C...D3\/
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I have not been able to use the WiFi Teather app myself, when I execute it it brings up a message that says "Tether started with errors, please check log."

It fails on ste 6 and 7 of 10:
~ Timestamp ~
Starting softap...
Failed

~ Timestamp ~
Activating WiFi Interface...
Failed

The only thing from default settings I changed was enabling wifi encryption and changing the SSID, would removing and re-installing this app by itself solve this issue?

I am posting this while connected to the Wifi Tether app now. I have not had any issues using it.

How about a reflash of the Rom? Might be worth a shot.

swg0101

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone gotten the native WiFi hotspot to work in 1.8 (VD)?
When I tried it when I first flashed it, I remember it said "Network is unavailable".
But somehow I tried it again, and it seems like it's working again.
Can anyone confirm this?
P.S. I am not talking about the WiFi Tether for Root Users app, but rather the native WiFi tether built in to Android.
P.S.S. I am using Quick Settings -> Wi-Fi hotspot (toggle)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone gotten the native WiFi hotspot to work in 1.8 (VD)?
When I tried it when I first flashed it, I remember it said "Network is unavailable".
But somehow I tried it again, and it seems like it's working again.
Can anyone confirm this?
P.S. I am not talking about the WiFi Tether for Root Users app, but rather the native WiFi tether built in to Android.
P.S.S. I am using Quick Settings -> Wi-Fi hotspot (toggle)
Actually I was just about to post that the native Portable Wi-Fi hotspot works fine for me on ZVD.

I'm running a freshly installed stock ZVD Android with no special widgets, quick settings, etc. installed.

These are the particulars of my build.
Model number
LS670
Android version
Baseband version
LS670MVD_60401001
Kernel version
lge@android-build #2
Build number
ZVD.41B2924E
SW Version
LS670ZVD

I haven't installed a single app on this phone.

I've never allowed SprintID to install anything.

I uninstalled the following:

Sprint ID 1.5.15
[/system/app/W_Installer.apk] com.sprint.w.installer
Sprint Zone SZ_2.5.7
[/system/app/SprintZone.apk] com.sprint.dsa
Voicemail T.5.1.0.54
[/system/app/vtt-sprint.apk] com.coremobility.app.vnotes

I just go to

Menu->Settings->Wireless & networks->Portable hotspot
Portable Wi-Fi hotspot [checked]
Portable Wi-Fi hotspot settings

and turn on Portable Wi-Fi hotspot

Last edited:

swg0101

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Weird, doing that for me either gives me a FC or a "Network is unavailable" message. :/
For me I also uninstalled Sprint Zone and Voicemail, but also in addition to IQAgent and the binary in /system/bin.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Weird, doing that for me either gives me a FC or a "Network is unavailable" message. :/
Funny thing is I didn't need any hotspot widget to get this working on ZV9 and ZVC either, while others did.

If you have the time, test a theory out.

Backup your system, do a wipe data/cache. When the fresh system comes back up, exit out of the setup wizard, then immediately press and hold power to turn on airplane mode. Cancel any hands free activation that might have started.

Then when Sprint ID comes up, press menu and skip. Do not install any Sprint IDs. Deinstall Sprint ID (and Sprint Zone for good measure) (ie remove the .apk from /system/app)

Reboot.

Press and hold power, turn off airplane mode, allow Hands Free Activation to complete, followed by automatic update prl, update software, etc. (actually I don't think HFA will happen on a wipe data/cache reset, I performed a ##786# reset, but I included it here just in case)

Then try the portable wifi hotspot again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treyrday86