Did anybody REALLY do the wire-trick S-OFF???

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yep, I did it.

Took me a few tries, but done with no ill effects.

I did wait a bit to see what kind of damage would be done, it didnt seem to fry anyones phone so away I went.

Now that I have moved up to the newest firmware, it is easy peasy flashing stuff....

No regrets

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I just can't bring myself to do it for some reason. It's annoying the bejesus outta me b/c I know it works and it's been proven relatively safe. Just can't bring myself to do the wire bit.

mtbhk44

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I did - I electrocuted myself and my cat at the same time. Luckily my kids were sleeping and my wife wasn't in the room or they would have gotten the juice as well.

But I'm S-OFF - poor cat will never be the same

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I just can't bring myself to do it for some reason. It's annoying the bejesus outta me b/c I know it works and it's been proven relatively safe. Just can't bring myself to do the wire bit.

You're probably like me and can't find a real reason to do it. I've been moding my phones for the last 6 years or more and yet I can't find a single reason to make me WANT to go S-Off.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The biggest reason I did it, outside of because I can, is to make my life easier when flashing ROMs. More sooner or later, as it sounds, there will not be s-on versions available.

That is the way it sounds at least.....

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
The biggest reason I did it, outside of because I can, is to make my life easier when flashing ROMs. More sooner or later, as it sounds, there will not be s-on versions available.

That is the way it sounds at least.....

That was my primary beef with S-Off. But as usually the rational was drown out by the irrational over in "The forum that shall not be named". Although that's also why I'm biding my time until AOSP get's done. Then I'm leaving that place until I get my next phone lol

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I did, it's a little tricky but not at all scary... Having the right wire and getting the timing right is the issue but if you fail it doesn't hurt the phone. At least in my experience.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
That was my primary beef with S-Off. But as usually the rational was drown out by the irrational over in "The forum that shall not be named". Although that's also why I'm biding my time until AOSP get's done. Then I'm leaving that place until I get my next phone lol

See I can see the point that some of them have on this one. The other day when I flashed, there were 3-4 pages of "I am s-on and this is messed up". S-off and the new firmware is like a free ride to flash away.

Now I know that a lot of that is people who cannot follow instructions, but still....

I am not even going to go into the "environment" over there.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
You're probably like me and can't find a real reason to do it. I've been moding my phones for the last 6 years or more and yet I can't find a single reason to make me WANT to go S-Off.

With ya on that. Pretty much why I started the thread. Can't find a reason, but so many people do it just to do it.

I consider myself a techie, but only the geeks would go so far, LOL.:D

I meant "geeks" in a loving way of course........

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm above and beyond a tinkerer especially with my phone but I'm not a fan of shorting things, nor do I believe that S-Off is necessary to enjoy this phone. Heck I tether so infrequently that root is almost not even necessary...except for my theme'ing.

putney1477

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm getty antsy to do it. I'm still not all that comfortable with flashing on HTC yet. I came from 2 samsungs where you could easily use ODIN to flash back to stock. That is the reason I want to s-off, so that I can get back to complete stock if I ever needed to. Right now I am just unlocked and rooted thats it. I want to flash the newest leak and try the radios and what not, but I want to be able to go back to stock if need be.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
you just have to flash the ruu or PH file in fastboot to go back. s-off is the way to go if your a flashaholic like me.

I hated all the extra steps (yeah I know their werent many) that I had to go through coming from Sammy

putney1477

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
you just have to flash the ruu or PH file in fastboot to go back. s-off is the way to go if your a flashaholic like me.

I hated all the extra steps (yeah I know their werent many) that I had to go through coming from Sammy

I dont think I can. I was under the impression that if you are on the leak, with firmware and all, you cannot go back. Thats why Im still stock. Just waiting until I have enough time to do it. I have everything ready, right down to my wire...... just need the time, and the guts

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I did it a couple of times when I hada bad flash with the ROM I am on. It isnt that hard or complicated to go back to stock. I do know that you absolutely can go back.

I will try to find the guide either while I am at work or when I get home tonight.....

I used a piece of coax to do it, it seemed easier than a wire or paperclip but that is just me.

Reactions: putney1477

mtbhk44

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I used low grade speaker wire to do this on two phones. The paperclip trick did not work for me at all.

Once you are S-OFF, you can RUU back to shipping stock (GB). If you aren't S-OFF, you cannot.

putney1477

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I did it a couple of times when I hada bad flash with the ROM I am on. It isnt that hard or complicated to go back to stock. I do know that you absolutely can go back.

I will try to find the guide either while I am at work or when I get home tonight.....

I used a piece of coax to do it, it seemed easier than a wire or paperclip but that is just me.

oh wow! If you could find that guide or info that would be great, then I would not have to s off
thanks!