Did anybody REALLY do the wire-trick S-OFF???

phuckwithfire

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
That's kinda what I was thinking, heh... I'll just have to backup all my data and return to stock. Thanks for the advice. :)

Was it only the initial upgrade from GB to ICS firmware that formatted my internal SD? Perhaps I did it wrong?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
S-Off will not affect whether installing an RUU (or anything else) affects the internal SD. If you install an RUU or a ROM that clears the SD, then it will do it whether you are S-Off or not.

Having S-Off is a major convenience when installing custom ROMs, and, really, that's about all. If you have S-Off, then you can just install a custom ROM in one step. If you don't, then you have to go through separate individual steps and reboots to upgrade the kernel (or other low-level pieces - I may not be specifying the exact correct ones here) and then flash the ROM itself. And the separate individual steps include things like renaming a file to P98H123.zip (or whatever that file name is) and putting it on the root of your phone's SD, then rebooting, letting it flash that, then booting again, then remembering to delete that P98blahblah.zip file before you reboot again, etc.. Having S-Off just saves you from a lot of that PITA, error-prone steps.

Reactions: phuckwithfire

phuckwithfire

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
That's completely up to you. I'd be extremely grateful, though, and your info would be invaluable to me, since this is all new territory.

From what I just read, it looks like I'll have to flash to 3.14.605.5 to even do S-Off.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Well the ICS version they recommend ends in
.5 which was a leaked version
.12 is the official version. I don't think it will matter though.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

phuckwithfire

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Oh, okay. The All-In-One S-Off Toolkit says you HAVE to be on .5... I'm on .10.

I actually got my stock USB cable to work really well, and haven't had any connection issues with it. I was gonna dive into S-Off, but, now I've gotta flash another RUU, haha. This is never-ending, it seems. :p

I might flash the .5 RUU in a bit, but I'm worried about losing everything again. :x

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I am sure I have done the. 10 with Juno and s offed without problems... That is why I am confident with. 12

The all in one uses Juno, it just puts everything in a neat little wrapper

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2