Did anybody REALLY do the wire-trick S-OFF???

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
oh wow! If you could find that guide or info that would be great, then I would not have to s off
thanks!

Not sure you understand. There is really only one set of instructions. He didn't do anything different.

It's not hard to get right, and it is hard to mess up your phone beyond repair. The worst that happens to some is they have to reflash the Rom boot image and start over.

I've flashed Xboxes to play burned games before so some of this stuff is not scary at all compared to that. You are probably freaking out over shorting the contacts. Don't. It isn't that serious.

Rezound, s-off, loving it.

giant22000

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Me too! I did it the first day I got the phone about a week ago. Left over cat5 was a blessing! Go for it, I've read nowhere on the internet where somebody has bricked there phone as a result of it...

HangnMoss

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I went S-Off as soon as it was posted, just to make flashing easier, and give me more options. Shortly after I went back to stock GB and S-On to have my phone serviced (cracked digitizer). My replacement is also S-Off, and neither time did I have any issues. Second time through I got it first shot. I had the timing down after taking quite a few tries to get the timing right on the first phone.

The folks who had problems failed to follow the directions completely, which was the first direction in the guide. I also know of no permanent damage being reported due to S-Off.

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Got my Rezound Monday night. Activated it yesterday. Unlocked and rooted yesterday.

Figured out that I really need to flash a ROM to get wifi tethering to work right.

Did the wire trick for S-OFF just now. Worked first time, no problem.

Now my question is, do I have to Unlock and root again? When I boot to the HBOOT menu, it says ENG S-OFF, but it also says "*** LOCKED ***" at the top. Do I have to unlock again? That means a Factory Reset, which is just extra time ultimately getting to where I want to go. PITButt.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Got my Rezound Monday night. Activated it yesterday. Unlocked and rooted yesterday.

Figured out that I really need to flash a ROM to get wifi tethering to work right.

Did the wire trick for S-OFF just now. Worked first time, no problem.

Now my question is, do I have to Unlock and root again? When I boot to the HBOOT menu, it says ENG S-OFF, but it also says "*** LOCKED ***" at the top. Do I have to unlock again? That means a Factory Reset, which is just extra time ultimately getting to where I want to go. PITButt.

I believe the instructions say to NOT unlock again.

Reactions: StuartV

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Hey MrSmith,

I'm looking at the instructions here:

Instructions | Unlimited.IO

and I don't see where it addresses this question. Or in following their link for the Rezound-specific instructions.

I also don't see anything about it in the instructions here:

S-off is Official!!! With Instructions... - xda-developers

That said, I'll refrain from Unlocking again until I something happens that tells me I need to do it. :)

MrSmith, thanks for all the help you give on here!

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey MrSmith,

I'm looking at the instructions here:

Instructions | Unlimited.IO

and I don't see where it addresses this question. Or in following their link for the Rezound-specific instructions.

I also don't see anything about it in the instructions here:

S-off is Official!!! With Instructions... - xda-developers

That said, I'll refrain from Unlocking again until I something happens that tells me I need to do it. :)

MrSmith, thanks for all the help you give on here!

Yeah from what I've read re-unlocking will quite possibly make the "Unlocked" stick on your phone. I remember reading it somewhere but I could be wrong...or they changed the directions on me lol.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
So, does that mean I should unlock it again or not?

I mean having Unlock "stick" sounds like a good thing, right?

Bulkybear

May 27, 2011
Visit site
So, does that mean I should unlock it again or not?

I mean having Unlock "stick" sounds like a good thing, right?

Not a good thing actually. If unlock sticks then you couldn't return to a factory state for warranty purposes. As soon as vzw or HTC sees that unlocked on your hboot they will just tell you sorry your warranty is void. As far as your other question idk I have a thunderbolt. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in on that bit. One question I have is from reading the thread it seems like some people used the unlock tool by HTC. I always read to stay away from that because if you lock it again with that tool it shows relocked instead of locked and still permanently voids the warranty. Is this right?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
When you use the HTCDev Unlock tool, it makes you click through several disclaimers that unlocking CAN result in being denied warranty coverage. It does not say your warranty is automatically void.

I can say for sure that I unlocked mine using that tool, then did the wire trick S-OFF and mine now says LOCKED (not RELOCKED).

Finally, I'm not so sure why people want to worry too much about that. Once you use that tool to generate your unlock key, HTC will have the information that your specific phone was unlocked - or at least that you said you were going to unlock it and that they gave you the key. So, if they want to void your warranty, they have all the info they need, whether the boot screen says LOCKED or not.

Bulkybear

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't referring to doing the wire trick and seeing relocked. Just that if you unlock and then lock the bootloader with the tool instead of showing locked it would show relocked. But your right. I forgot HTC records your info when you get the key. My question is why would anyone want to do this then? I had to return my first bolt for a warranty replacement. So I had to restore s on and the stock firmware. Had I used HTC tool I would have been charged for the replacement. I ask because I'm thinking of getting a rezound and of course I want root and roms. Not being able to restore to stock without them knowing I ever unlocked it would be nice to know.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Well, even though HTC has the info about what phones have been unlocked (or, at least, been issued keys for), I doubt Verizon has that info or attempts to check it, if you bring the phone in with a warranty issue. So, even though it's possible, I'd say it's not likely enough that *I* would be worried about losing my warranty over unlocking it (if it shows LOCKED when you take it in to the VZW store).

I just finished flashing the latest ICS RUU and it was a no muss, no fuss affair, now that I have S-OFF. And since my HBOOT screen shows LOCKED, I'm assuming if I ever needed to, I could flash back to an official release RUU, then restore S-ON and it would still show LOCKED (again, I'm assuming), so I could then take it in for a warranty issue...

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Next up, flashing Nils' ICS ROM so I can get back to have a good (secure) WiFi Tether - like I had with my TB. Goes good with my Unlimited Data Plan. :D

woodyt74

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
OK...tried to S-Off today after much reading and research. All seemed to go fine but the program kept scrolling the do the wire trick message. I tried the wire trick with some CAT wire and after a long while and many re-boots it finally came to a close with the fail message and press enter to exit. I did that and my phone still showed the green juopunutbear with a green arrow pointing down to what looks like a hard drive. I left it there for over an hour with no change so disconnected it from the PC.

After many attempts, battery pulls, reboots, etc. I finally got into recovery and did a nandroid restore which showed completing normally. However, when I rebooted it went right back to the juopunutbear/green arrow image screen. I finally had to re-flash my ROM and all seems back to normal.

Any ideas on what might have happened or how to avoid this on the next try (if any...:-\)?

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Just run Jupontobear again I believe, I think if starts from where it left off if you can't get the wire trick done. If I remember they talk about this in the thread on the forum not to be mentioned.

woodyt74

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, finally found that thread. I was on the early ICS leak and that might have been an issue as well even though that was the download I used. I updated to the latest leak and downloaded the appropriate Juopunutbear file so will try again when I have another day to waste. :D

phuckwithfire

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey, guys. What EXACTLY are the benefits of S-Off? I've been modding Androids for some time, but this is my first HTC. I've been rooted/unlocked/ROM'd since a permanent root was available. Now that S-Off has been around for awhile, I'm having difficulties finding anything helpful about the benefits of it, just more info along the lines of whether, or not, it's needed.

I guess what I'm getting at is, I just BARELY flashed a leaked RUU for the first time ever (3.14.605.10), not knowing that it'd completely format my internal SD, and I lost lots of pics and music and such (not the end of the world, mostly just an annoyance)... If I were S-Off, would I be able to flash the OTA RUU without losing everything again? I kinda know my way around Androids, but not well enough to not make mistakes (mostly, I'm just really good at following directions, but, not knowing why I'm doing what I'm doing, or what exactly's going to be affected). I've tried searching the "forum who shall not be named" to no avail, and God forbid I ask these fairly n00bish questions there. I don't really feel like crying myself to sleep tonight. Any info on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, guys. :)

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
S off let's you really do anything with your phone. The biggest thing was pre ics, s off allowed you to upgrade or downgrade with a single flash instead of two it took if you were just unlocked.

You can flash firmware independent of a rom, and I think s off is going to be needed if you want aosp... At least initially.

S off saves headaches.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

phuckwithfire

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply, and for not making me cry. :)

I'm sure I'll S-Off here soon, if only for ASOP. Probably the only reason I haven't, is I had a messed up pin in my stock USB cable. Upon trying to plug it in, it messed something up in the port. And now, whether charging, or connected to a computer, the cable has to be sitting JUST RIGHT to stay connected. It's a huge headache. I'm worried if I try to S-Off, with how much you physically have to do to the phone, I'll move it, and lose the connection midway and bork my phone up.

Anywho, with S-Off, can I flash the OTA RUU without it formatting my internal SD card? If not, what's your suggestion to back everything up, preferably on the phone itself (my computers are all very unhappy with me currently, and I don't really use them enough to justify the motivation to get up off the couch, backup their HDDs, write zeros, and reinstall OSs :p)?

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey, guys. What EXACTLY are the benefits of S-Off? I've been modding Androids for some time, but this is my first HTC. I've been rooted/unlocked/ROM'd since a permanent root was available. Now that S-Off has been around for awhile, I'm having difficulties finding anything helpful about the benefits of it, just more info along the lines of whether, or not, it's needed.

I guess what I'm getting at is, I just BARELY flashed a leaked RUU for the first time ever (3.14.605.10), not knowing that it'd completely format my internal SD, and I lost lots of pics and music and such (not the end of the world, mostly just an annoyance)... If I were S-Off, would I be able to flash the OTA RUU without losing everything again? I kinda know my way around Androids, but not well enough to not make mistakes (mostly, I'm just really good at following directions, but, not knowing why I'm doing what I'm doing, or what exactly's going to be affected). I've tried searching the "forum who shall not be named" to no avail, and God forbid I ask these fairly n00bish questions there. I don't really feel like crying myself to sleep tonight. Any info on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, guys. :)

S off let's you really do anything with your phone. The biggest thing was pre ics, s off allowed you to upgrade or downgrade with a single flash instead of two it took if you were just unlocked.

You can flash firmware independent of a rom, and I think s off is going to be needed if you want aosp... At least initially.

S off saves headaches.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

And it gives you a good appreciation of being on the bomb squad! :D