Did anyone notice this when preordering from Samsung with a trade-in?

Worshipper

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I placed my preorder for the s22 ultra for my wife yesterday. Tried to preorder on Wednesday and it was such a mess I couldn't get the order to go through. My wife is a dedicated Note user and she's been waiting patiently to trade in her Note 20 ultra for a newer model. Im staying with the pixel 6 myself. Had a Note 9 and just never used the pen so decided that Notes were not for me. Anyway, back to the title of my thread, did anyone notice this when placing their order on Samsung's website? I saw this right above the yes agreement button when clicking on the trade-in device option:

If you do not send your trade-in device, or it does not meet the eligibility requirements, Samsung reserves the right to disable your New Samsung Product remotely.

I thought this was interesting. I've never seen this before on their site and I've used their trade-in option a few times over the past 2 to 3 yrs for different devices. Does Samsung have a software feature that allows them to do this? Or is it some type of hardware feature where they can shut down the device if you don't send them the trade-in? It made me think back to the Carrier IQ scandal and wonder how many other companies have this capability?

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I placed my preorder for the s22 ultra for my wife yesterday. Tried to preorder on Wednesday and it was such a mess I couldn't get the order to go through. My wife is a dedicated Note user and she's been waiting patiently to trade in her Note 20 ultra for a newer model. Im staying with the pixel 6 myself. Had a Note 9 and just never used the pen so decided that Notes were not for me. Anyway, back to the title of my thread, did anyone notice this when placing their order on Samsung's website? I saw this right above the yes agreement button when clicking on the trade-in device option:

If you do not send your trade-in device, or it does not meet the eligibility requirements, Samsung reserves the right to disable your New Samsung Product remotely.

I thought this was interesting. I've never seen this before on their site and I've used their trade-in option a few times over the past 2 to 3 yrs for different devices. Does Samsung have a software feature that allows them to do this? Or is it some type of hardware feature where they can shut down the device if you don't send them the trade-in? It made me think back to the Carrier IQ scandal and wonder how many other companies have this capability?

Yeah I don't know about your other questions(sorry) but I have wondered that too. I have seen that during last couple of trade in tho with the fold 2, fold 3 at least. But luckily I've never had an issue and hope not to ever lol.

Worshipper

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Ok so this is something new they've started doing in the past year or so. Hope I never have a problem with this either. Samsung probably had some people try and pull a fast one with trade-ins. I was just curious if the carriers have the same ability to do this too.

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Yea I seen this too. I was under the impression that if you didn't send in your trade-in or it didn't meet the requirements when they receive it you just got charged full price for your new phone.

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm also worried about this. I've also read horror stories of Samsung trying to scam the customer by saying that there is something wrong with the phone that was traded in when the phone was in perfect shape. I'll be taking pictures of my phone before I ship mine out. As proof

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yea I seen this too. I was under the impression that if you didn't send in your trade-in or it didn't meet the requirements when they receive it you just got charged full price for your new phone.

You're correct.... they will just charge you full price. Their statement is probably in an extreme case because they can't charge your credit or debit card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332