Did you test your upload speed on 3g?

mud76

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
There talking about this on a sprint forum.

Samsung Epic:3G Upload Capped?

Looks like someone from sprint commented on it also

by dshoem01

Sprint Admin
230 posts since
Mar 29, 2008
Currently Being Moderated
88. Sep 14, 2010 Posted in response to: jlapenta1
Re: 3G Upload Capped? .Was it not a public statement I made in my previous post that Sprint has recreated this issue? It has been officially noted as a problem and it's being investigated. One variable is the app and how the device interacts with the app. There has been no conclusive root cause identified at this point - when one is, it will be communicated on this forum by either Will or myself.

Thanks,

Desi
Average user rating .(1 rating)

Last edited:

mcp6530

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Using Speedtest.net app.
3 tests
Chicago area but in my building no 4g - using 3g for tests got the following results:
403 dl
138 ul

499 dl
159 ul

588 dl
147 dl

DG27 is my software - no updates yet.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Who knows it could be the speed app.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

I have my doubts about this theory looking at numerous reports of really slow uploading of photos using FB, email and others and pronblems with video conferencing that are being reported on multiple boards including this one.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I believe this is the stroke that will break the camel's back in my case.

During the past three weeks I have noticed several minor (and some moderate) issues with the Epic. Those were by themseves, not too significant to me. With this issue, it has become one too many.

I am reconsidering the idea of keeping the Epic as my main phone, at least until this issue is officially resolved.

robrob

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
From xda developers: i have both the evo and the epic. i have both phones cloned to a htc diamond. same ip set to all 3 phones. same everything really.. and only my epic has the limited upload. i had noticed this the very first day the phone came out and assumed it to be a software issue with 3g. glad i came across this thread.. so now i know im not crazy.

i get great upload with wifi and 4g on the epic.

if traffic is limited on port 80.. its done thru the software on the epic itself.. as sprint has no idea my phone is an epic 4g.

This guy's and the vpn test on xda does make it seem like a deliberate limit on port 80 (but only during 3G connections) implemented by the phone's firmware. It does appear Sprint is trying to save 3G bandwidth and help drive some bandwidth over to their underused 4G system. Sprint could fix this with a firmware upgrade but we'll have to convince them to actually do it.

mud76

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Again commenting on this
by dshoem01

Sprint Admin
245 posts since
Mar 29, 2008
Currently Being Moderated
199. Sep 17, 2010 Posted in response to: TKDJOE1
Re: 3G Upload Capped? .While I check daily (usually more than once) on the status of this issue, I won't post to this thread unless I have new information to share. Be assured though that this HAS been reported as a known issue, has the highest level of visibility within Sprint, and is being actively worked by Sprint and Samsung.

Again, I will post more info as it becomes available.

Last edited:

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I think its a port 80 issue. Other people have reported 600+ upload using a VPN.
Actually it may show it is not a port issue but those results quite alarmingly allows the possibility that the cpu getting bogged down. I don't know about you but tracking CPU usage the Epic is using a lot more and slower than Evo for certain of the same functions and it especially turns to molasses during 3g use and especially during upload.

aclays

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I'd be fricken happy with 150kb/s on 3g. Max speed I can get is like 20kb/s, but that's probably because I'm in a remote area with crappy 3g towers.

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Sprint and Samsung are still denying the problem. My Epic is going back.

I called Sprint today and the rep acknowledged the problem, said it had been reported by lots of Epic owners and Samsung had been made aware of the problem. She also said to hang in there for an update. This may have been BS but it sounded good!