Ditching my Pre for an EVO

TechAd

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I have been a very strong supporter of the Pre since it came out. However, Palm has let me down in a few areas.

1. Hardware- the Pre is one of the worst built phones I have used, the twisting slider is the most frustrating, also plastic touch screen, and keyboard.

2. Speed/Memory Issues- My phone has delays in launching apps, including the phone app (WTF!?!), and of course 'Too Many Cards Open' with only 1 or no cards.... :/

3. Battery Life, what battery life?

4. Visual Voicemail- even blackberry does it...what the hell?

The EVO looks like a quality phone, fast proc and a large amount of memory. Only negative I see is no physical keyboard....but with over a 4" screen, should be okay.

Anyone else jumping ship?

Last edited:

Litt

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking about doing the same. I love the Pre but want a bigger screen and more quality apps. I think that Palms PDK had a good chance of making the number of quality apps on the Pre much better, but it is too little too late. People move on to the next thing in less then a year, and Palm has just taken to long. Having said all this, I really do wish that Palm could put out a killer device and get programmers on board. WebOS rocks IMHO.

TechAd

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree, WebOS is great, most of my complaints are hardware related. Hopefully, HTC buys Palm and implements the best parts into their Android phones.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
eh.. Not jumping ship. just ditching the Pre until there's better WebOS hardware then I'll be back.
Playing with the Moment today I'll miss WebOS even with the killer specs of the Evo4G.

I'm on my 5th or 6th Pre and just can't stand the last replacement phone. Plus since 1.4.1.1 my Pre, and my wife's Pixi, reboots a few times daily ):

keri2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
eh.. Not jumping ship. just ditching the Pre until there's better WebOS hardware then I'll be back.
Playing with the Moment today I'll miss WebOS even with the killer specs of the Evo4G.

I'm on my 5th or 6th Pre and just can't stand the last replacement phone. Plus since 1.4.1.1 my Pre, and my wife's Pixi, reboots a few times daily ):

I truly believe that WebOS has the best UI and user experience out there but I too have been getting frequent reboots (I even have a reboot auto-scheduled every night). I am also missing texts and phone calls, just like my old WM phones which I have to say pissed me off more than anything. I failed to pick up my friend from the airport the other day because my phone kept going straight to voicemail until I rebooted my phone. This is bad news. I have even hard reset it. I also get the headphone stuck mode and too many cards.

Now if I said any of this over at Precentral, I would be stoned so I just keep my mouth shut over there.

Anyway, I have already made the decision to get the Evo and NEVER be a beta tester for a new OS again. I am too excited to try Android and the features I am looking toward most are the voice to text input, choice of virtual keyboards, the apps that I have been begging developers for, and the list goes on. :) Oh and I can't wait to read my ebooks on that thing! The Pre screen is a bit small.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, so I can't believe I find myself having signed up here. Just about a month ago I got an invitation from AndroidCentral to join, and I wrote them back saying that I refuse to join the "dark side" just yet, and here I am....

I have the same issues with my Pre, not really hardware issues, but for the most part it's the sluggishness of the phone, the inconsistant performance, and the relentless "too many cards errors" that make me think very hard about getting the Evo. Having seen how fast everything loads up, the fact that we get a good version of Google Maps (unlike the pathetic version webOS got), and of course the awesome hardware specs drove me to do this.

So, fellow PreCentral brothers, here we are, a new home..... HI! :D

TechAd

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
That's funny...the dark side.

Looks like this time the Jedi are being bought by the dark side...

All I can say is that if WebOS, Android and HTC become one; it will equal awesomeness!

Android 3.0 :D

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issues with my Pre, not really hardware issues, but for the most part it's the sluggishness of the phone, the inconsistant performance, and the relentless "too many cards errors"

Well, I know a few people that do not have any of those problems.

I also know that if you use the 720mhz/800mhz patch with the cpuscaler patch you not only get lighting fast phone with apps almost instantly opening, but your battery life will only drain about .10% per hour.

No more "too many cards errors" .. Just thought I would let you know ::smile::

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Based on news from Palm in the last few days it sounds like a lot of their employees might be doing the same!

I have been a very strong supporter of the Pre since it came out. However, Palm has let me down in a few areas.

1. Hardware- the Pre is one of the worst built phones I have used, the twisting slider is the most frustrating, also plastic touch screen, and keyboard.

2. Speed/Memory Issues- My phone has delays in launching apps, including the phone app (WTF!?!), and of course 'Too Many Cards Open' with only 1 or no cards.... :/

3. Battery Life, what battery life?

4. Visual Voicemail- even blackberry does it...what the hell?

The EVO looks like a quality phone, fast proc and a large amount of memory. Only negative I see is no physical keyboard....but with over a 4" screen, should be okay.

Anyone else jumping ship?

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm NOT excited about using Android at all.
I'm quite "scared" of it actually. I was at Sprint yesterday so I took a closer look at the Moment.
UI doesn't isn't in the same league as WebOS. Not even the same game.

I have already found that most of the apps, ok all, including the Gameloft games have a counter-part in the Android Market.

My phone has developed the nasty habit of crashing when I receive a call!

There's a lot of work porting Android to just about everything.
Why no WebOS porting? Port it to the Evo4G, and I'd never buy another phone :)

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm NOT excited about using Android at all.
I'm quite "scared" of it actually. I was at Sprint yesterday so I took a closer look at the Moment.
UI doesn't isn't in the same league as WebOS. Not even the same game.

Did you try the 720mhz/800mhz patch with the cpuscaler patch?

From what I have heard it, along with others, greatly enhances the phone, and WebOS

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

From what I have heard it, along with others, greatly enhances the phone, and WebOS

Figured I'd chime in here. I had the 720mhz patch with the pre. And while it did great at work (touchstone charger), when I got home in the evenings and sat the phone next to me on the couch, it would go from 60-70% to 10% in about 2 hours. Phone worked much faster, but man it dies quick with only 1 or 2 bars. Much quicker then before the patch.

I actually just switched to the moment. Great little phone, very snappy. I definitely miss the Pre, but after 4 days on the moment I'm starting to get into it. I wish it had 2.1 on it, but I guess I can wait a couple more weeks for the official update. Its good that i'm warming up on android os before the Evo comes out.

Palm's web os was great, but the hardware was barely that. I'm pretty excited to see what the Evo has.

PinkoCommie

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Heh... same boat. I have really enjoyed using WebOS, but...

1. The hardware is janky. It started out OK (just OK, it was never spectacular), and developed the screen delamination problem (just in one corner, so it is "cosmetic"), now has the Oreo wobble, the "o" key on the keyboard is wonky... that type of stuff

2. WebOS is an ingenious and elegant paradigm for interacting with a mobile phone. However, the idea is better than the execution. I love cards, and the whole concept. But actually using the phone can be a pain. Changing or
creating an appointment for a day two months in the future takes WAY too long. Simple tasks are often a pain. No SMS groups? No way to easily delete or archive Gmail messages (I know you can change the default folder to archive, but then you only get easy archive, no easy delete)? Browser will not work with Gmail's mobile web client (it works, but not RIGHT)? Google reader is all retarded (does not scroll to top of open thread, etc)? Seriously? That kind of stuff could not be worked out in close to a year of the phone being in users' hands? Really, Palm? Really?

3. Dang "too many cards" deal... It is not really a multitasking phone when opening a browser with a moderately complex page and the email client only works half the time. I have no patches (plenty of homebrew, but that's it) to mess with things, and after all the updates that were supposed to address this issue, it STILL happens a couple of times a day.

Soooo... I am considering the EVO. I might go with something different, but right now it looks like the most promising candidate for a new phone. I do not need, and probably will not use the HDMI connection (that's what my HTPC is for). I am excited about the large screen, more solid hardware, and learning a new OS. I (like most of us here) am a geek at heart. Once I have figured out one toy, it is time to challenge my brain with something new ;)

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I actually just switched to the moment. Great little phone, very snappy. I definitely miss the Pre, but after 4 days on the moment I'm starting to get into it. I wish it had 2.1 on it, but I guess I can wait a couple more weeks for the official update. Its good that i'm warming up on android os before the Evo comes out.

Palm's web os was great, but the hardware was barely that. I'm pretty excited to see what the Evo has.

I did the same thing about a week ago. Been using a Sprint Pre since launch day. But I'm now on my 3rd replacement and the current Pre has a hardware issue. So I've decided to get the EVO when it comes out. In the meantime I picked up a moment to get used to android. I was actually surprised at how much I am finding I'm liking Android and this phone. I went ahead and installed the 2.1 leaked version. Definitely an improvement over 1.5 and is pretty easy to do and pretty easy to go back to 1.5 if I want to. I'd say don't wait and give it a go.

Yes there are aspects of WebOS I miss, but I thought I'd miss it more than I am. Android might not be as elegant in some aspects but it does everything for me that WebOS can do and I'm finding more customization on Android (or at least easier to customize).

If a new WebOS device with much improved hardware were to come out in the future, I'd highly consider going back. But now that I've used android, I've found it to be a viable alternative to WebOS.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site

I've had the 800 patch earlier than I should've and used the 600 before that.
It's a marginal difference really. It improves launch times by about half possibly.

Fixed most "too many cards" except for launching games.

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Figured I'd chime in here. I had the 720mhz patch with the pre. And while it did great at work (touchstone charger), when I got home in the evenings and sat the phone next to me on the couch, it would go from 60-70% to 10% in about 2 hours. Phone worked much faster, but man it dies quick with only 1 or 2 bars. Much quicker then before the patch.

The Evo is a fantastic phone, I have been looking at it myself, the 720p HD video is very nice. Might be a bit big for me though.

Just so you all know were I am coming from.. Having said that, did you use the cpuscaler patch with the 720mhz patch? You need them both, with the cpuscaler patch your phone will not die in 2 hours, and will last all day.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes webOS looks good, but lets not forget that when you compare a stock Moment to webOS, you are looking at an older version of Android, even the 2.1 upgrade brings it to just Nexus One/Droid status, it's HTC Sense that adds the real eye candy as far as I am concerned.

Eguy

Lloyd Lover
Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Even using the Droid, I still am not as happy as I was with webOS. It certainly is the best OS out there, if only it was put on better hardware. If the EVO ran webOS, most of these problems wouldn't exist!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hohenheimofdarkness