Does anybody know of a reliable Pedometer app that meets the following criteria?

Alpha-Dummy

Feb 17, 2020
Visit site
I am looking for a good pedometer app that I would like to use therapeutically to determine my daily walking distance. However, it should meet the following criteria:

1. Distance measurement with GPS, because apps I tested only determined the number of steps relatively precisely via sensor and estimate the distance by means of estimated!!! step length. The differences between these apps were considerable.

2. Since I take the tram between my "walking exercises", the app has to recognize this and pause automatically. After all, I don't feel like fumbling the phone out of my pocket, unlocking it and pressing Pause or Start each time.

The apps I tested (Pacer, Runtime, "Walk with Map My Walk" & "Pedometer Step Counter Weight Calorie Tracker") didn't do that and that's why I'm asking here now.

3. A small extra bonus would be if the GPS deactivates itself when no "walking activity" is detected. That would save battery but I can also switch it off manually.

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
By definition a pedometer counts footsteps. I doubt you will find any app using GPS to calculate distance walked being able to distinguish when you are on a tram. Logging the foot count would take into account the lack of steps when you are on the tram but if using GPS you would still be registered as moving. You can't have it both ways

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think step count is more important than distance if going for exercise results. Someone with short legs would burn more energy taking 20 steps to cover a distance than someone with long legs covering it in 15 steps. So I would reconsider not only your GPS requirement, but the use of a phone at all if you want accuracy. A phone tracking with motion sensors can be horribly industry, tracking all sorts of erroneous motion as steps.

In all seriousness, I would just stick to a traditional pedometer that clips onto your shoe for the best accuracy.

Alpha-Dummy

Feb 17, 2020
Visit site
Maybe I didn't make myself clear: I'm looking for a distance measurement app, counting steps would be okay, but the differences between different apps are just terrible.
That's why I was hoping to find a pedometer app that uses GPS to determine the distance.
IMHO you could pause the measurement if GPS detects movement but the pedometer remains "deaf".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali