Does it matter where you buy the Nexus?

Zottig

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I have always bought my phones at a corporate Verizon store though they’ve never really done anything to EARN my business per-se. I’ve never used an “authorized” seller… with the exception I guess of my Xoom which I did get at Best Buy but that is because I was able to get the $200 subsidy without the 2 year commitment (long story).

Like most of us... I am looking to get the Galaxy Nexus tomorrow and there is a “Verizon” store right by my house but I wasn’t able to find it on the Verizon website…. it’s pretty new so I wasn’t totally surprised by that however. Then I noticed that it was called Verizon Wireless “Premium Retailer” and upon further inspection it’s not a corporate store but sure works hard to look like one. I JUST got a call from them saying they got the phones in and can sell me one first thing tomorrow morning... but we've all heard that before.

Anyway… are there advantages to buying from a corporate store? I know I get 25% off accessories because of my work, and I don’t know if the “new every two” credit is good at resellers so those would be factors.

All I know is I don’t feel that I get anything from buying from Verizon direct, though I want to be sure that’s the case. I figure I should at least get RewardZone points or something. I know Costco has the phone for $10 less which would amount to a bigger discount than the RewardZone points I guess… though it’s only $10 and I am not sure my membership hasn’t lapsed. Plus Verizon bungled this launch and though I am not boycotting them, I figure I should give my business to whatever seller who will benefit me the most.

I guess in the end I don’t want to end up being treated like a red-headed stepchild because of where I bought it (not that Verizon treats its customers all that great to begin with.)

I don’t want the Verizon stores to tell me that they can’t/won’t help me and that I need to take it to where I bought it should it need repair or warranty replacement, etc or that there isn’t some other gotcha I am unaware of.

Thoughts?

Ben Lewitt
Grand Rapids, MI

Zottig

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I did have one bit of feedback from a friend I discussed this with at lunch... he said I should stick to the corporate store so it's less likely my grandfathered unlimited data plan would be botched up. I assume Costco or Best Buy SHOULD be able to handle it, but it's certainly not something I'd want to risk losing that's for sure.

Ben

gnipeh

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
The livingsocial coupon that many people have restricts the use to Corp store only. Also, I want to check out whether I am eligible for that $100 discount (I am the family plan owner, but I am using a family plan member's upgrade)

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have called both Corporate stores near me and they both have no information about the Nexus, don't offer to call me, anything. I called a "Premium Retailer" and the guy took my name and number, offered to put my name on one as soon as he received them, and offered to call Verizon for me to try to get me an early upgrade since I am having equipment issues. Needless to say, they have my business...

Laramie

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I have called both Corporate stores near me and they both have no information about the Nexus, don't offer to call me, anything. I called a "Premium Retailer" and the guy took my name and number, offered to put my name on one as soon as he received them, and offered to call Verizon for me to try to get me an early upgrade since I am having equipment issues. Needless to say, they have my business...

Pretty much match what I've dealt with over the past few years. Since my first smartphone back in 2007, I've probably gone through 10 different phones (blackberry, android, iphone). I have been in/out of probably 6 different corporate stores and they all seem to be chock full of idiots. Most don't have a clue about actual phones/technology and lots of them are rude/smug. I've only had 1 really positive experience at a corporate store.

Retailers on the other hand have been a pleasant surprise. I know people who say they won't set foot in anything but the Go Wireless stores. Everytime i've been to one, the people are very friendly and go above and beyond to help you. Not sure what the difference is but it's night and day.

rew001

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I have always bought my phones at a corporate Verizon store though they’ve never really done anything to EARN my business per-se. I’ve never used an “authorized” seller… with the exception I guess of my Xoom which I did get at Best Buy but that is because I was able to get the $200 subsidy without the 2 year commitment (long story).

*SNIP*

I don’t want the Verizon stores to tell me that they can’t/won’t help me and that I need to take it to where I bought it should it need repair or warranty replacement, etc or that there isn’t some other gotcha I am unaware of.

Thoughts?

Ben Lewitt
Grand Rapids, MI

The bolded part is all I'd be worried about. I bought two X's from my I.T. guy and both of them crapped out on us. VZW wouldn't deal with us direct, we had to deal with the supplier my I.T. guy bought the phones from. Makes sense though. But with retailers like Best Buy I think you'd just go to them if you effed up your phone for a replacement.

Laramie

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody know how warranty issues are handled? If I buy from a reseller like Go Wireless (they only sell Verizon phones, might be a California thing), do you take it to them or can you call customer service or go to a corporate store to get it fixed?

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody know how warranty issues are handled? If I buy from a reseller like Go Wireless (they only sell Verizon phones, might be a California thing), do you take it to them or can you call customer service or go to a corporate store to get it fixed?

Warranty is Warranty, should be handled by anyone regardless of where you purchased it. Samsung would provide the warranty on this phone, not Verizon or a retailer.

Laramie

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Warranty is Warranty, should be handled by anyone regardless of where you purchased it. Samsung would provide the warranty on this phone, not Verizon or a retailer.

It's been a while but I remember having issues with both my Blackberry Storm and original Droid (outside of the 14 day return window) and when I took it to store or called CS, they either gave me a refurb on the spot or had one shipped 2 day fedex. Never had to actually deal with the manufacturer.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards