Does Lack of Use of the S-Pen Defeat the Purpose Behind the Note 2?

lgreenberg

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I really like my Note 2 but find I've hardly used the S-Pen since I got it. I've been using the Note 2 for about three months and would guess I've pulled out the S-Pen less than a half dozen times.

I'm sure I'm in the minority (maybe not) but I've talked to two other friends who are Note 2 users and they say the same thing about their lack of S-Pen usage as well.

So the question, or questions are...

1. Does not using the S-Pen on a regular basis somehow defeat the purpose or idea behind the Note 2?

2. If you're a regular user of the S-Pen, what sorts of things are you using it for?

VetteDude

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
1. No, its still the best phone out there.

2. I use it for drawing in s note, surfing the web (some sites have tiny buttons), and texting with handwriting. It can replace anything your finger does and the gestures for back and menu are helpful to increase your speed with it

bdbear68

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I use it to surf the internet when I'm lounging around. It is much more precise than my fat fingers.

I use it the most for making lists or to make will notes. Basically, anything you would have written on paper before, you can now replace with your Note 2.

I coach football, and I am constantly doodling plays in my free time.

Even without the S pen, this phone is great! No other phone matches the screen size and processing speed of the Note 2.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Android Central Forums

lgreenberg

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I use it the most for making lists or to make will notes. Basically, anything you would have written on paper before, you can now replace with your Note 2.

Yeah, that's about all I find myself using it for - to create quick lists that I don't intend on keeping.

Example, we're ordering take out, I'll jot down the family's order on the Note and then call it in.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I use the pen to write obscene notes on pictures, then send them to my friends

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

cornettbr

May 18, 2011
Visit site
You should take it out and play with it more (pun intended) at first I didn't really use it either but since I have been playing with my phone and discovering all of the little things it can do I have been using it more and more.

Flexia

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I love using it for web browsing and just playing on the phone. It seems to make it a little easier to use.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
No, I don't think so at all.

I personally rarely use my S Pen. I want to use it more, but really with the way I use my device I can't really incorporate its usage. Do I think my Note 2 is a waste because I don't use the S Pen? I got the Note 2 due to the specifications and the screen. It's a lot faster than my iPhone 4 and while other phones have similar specifications they don't have the screen size. I love the how much room I have to view the web, photos, etc.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
It's still a great phone with or without the s pen. I do use it though. I have only had the phone a week and I make lists, use it on the web, sign documents and I love cutting articles or pictures and emailing or texting them. S pen is a great tool. It's a matter of remembering to use it.

Sent from my Really Big Phone

Unicorn56

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I use it for taking quick notes, drawing diagrams, and navigating my remote desktop. I am a database application designer and is great for when you're on the phone with a client and you need to jot things down or diagram your ideas as you talk.

aquafusiondane

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I still use the s Pen like the s note, handwriting, other thing. I would use the s Pen more if more games add support for it. I found angry bird is great with s pen while other game that use swiping don't have s pen support like temple Run 2. If more game add more support on stylus then I would use it often on the games

Sent from my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Does the S Pen risk scratching the screen at all? My Motorola Stylus for the Xyboard left several tiny micro scratches on my tablet. Only noticeable in bright lighting but annoying.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Imported Crayon Physics DLX from the OG Note and I'm having a whale of a time. It's a novelty for me to goof around with on screen caps and pictures and such.

The Note 2 is the only current game in the Samsung Galaxy series that doesn't have a pentile display.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
i find more and more i often pull out the spen to turn the phone on and bypass the unlock screen and go directly into notes, texting, email, whatever.....

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Does the S Pen risk scratching the screen at all? My Motorola Stylus for the Xyboard left several tiny micro scratches on my tablet. Only noticeable in bright lighting but annoying.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.

No, it won't scratch the screen, but I've heard if you have a screen protector it might scratch the screen protector.

aquafusiondane

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Imported Crayon Physics DLX from the OG Note and I'm having a whale of a time. It's a novelty for me to goof around with on screen caps and pictures and such.

The Note 2 is the only current game in the Samsung Galaxy series that doesn't have a pentile display.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

They switch it out because of color reason, I believe. I remember somewhere in the news saying that Samsung is not going to use their pentile technology, but still using super AMOLED. And it show crisper picture than pentile

Sent from my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Tapatalk 2

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
No, it won't scratch the screen, but I've heard if you have a screen protector it might scratch the screen protector.

Depends on the screen protector. A soft screen protector will get indents, not necessarily scratches. You just need to get a high quality one like from Spigen SGP or ZAGG. Spigen SGP have a few different protectors so you want to make sure you get the one that works with the S Pen. As for ZAGG, it goes on soft with a wet application so if you don't leave it time to dry (24-48 hrs) then it will indent with the S Pen. If you leave it enough time you won't indent it with the S Pen.

kennethkilo

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
The s-pen is like another button activated by hovering you pen over the screen. For example, websites with dropdown menus. IF you hover the pen over it the menu will drop down which was hard to do/ impossible to do with just your fingers because your fingers have only one input, to press/select. Also, this makes it ideal when you are using splashtop or any VNC app where your computer mouse cursor actually FOLLOWS where you hover your pen. It makes everything so much easier that way.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred