Droid Incredible Stock Night Clock

keebz

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone use the Stock Clock's Night Clock feature? I'd like to use it but it turns off after a minute or so when the phone is inactive like normal. I wish there was a way to disable the "Turn off screen" feature so I could use the Incredible as a night clock. How much battery do you think it'll use up if it stays on the whole night in the night clock mode (it's very dim)?

Also, any innovative ideas for keeping the Incredible propped up so you can actually view the night clock, as opposed to just laying it on its bottom like normal? I don't have any dock stations.

If there's no way to disable the "Turn off screen" feature with the stock night clock, then are there are any alternative free apps that only serve as night clocks, but also use very little battery?

MHBlink8

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
There is no setting that I know of that will keep the screen on while the clock is being displayed, but you can set it so the screen will not turn off while the phone is charging, which it most likely is if you're using it as a clock.

Go to Settings>Applications>Development and select Stay Awake.

That should give you what you want.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there is a way. I use my stock night clock and alarm when I'm on the road (don't trust the ones in the hotel anymore) and my screen clock stays on all night. But the screen also shuts off when I'm just plugging in to charge with the phone on, like if I just want to top off the battery. I can't remember exactly what setting I have but I know its possible...I'll have to dig into the phone and see how I did it.

credo

May 1, 2010
Visit site
When I go to Clock, then select the crescent moon for the night clock, it stays on for me. I never changed any settings. I assumed this was the default.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

keebz

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Do you both keep it plugged in overnight when you do this? I don't keep my phone plugged in and charging overnight, but still, I would think the Desk/Night Clock feature would cause it to remain on always and disable the "Turn off screen after x minutes" feature.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Do you both keep it plugged in overnight when you do this? I don't keep my phone plugged in and charging overnight, but still, I would think the Desk/Night Clock feature would cause it to remain on always and disable the "Turn off screen after x minutes" feature.

It doesn't. I haven't seen any of the desk clocks have a built in feature (at least not stock ones) to disable the screen from shutting off if the phone isn't plugged in and charging.

keebz

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well this might be a hopeless battle anyway if it turns out that even the Night Clock, as dim as it is, being left on all night will drain an excessive amount of battery.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Why the problem leaving it plugged in?

I think the stock clock app and alarm work really well with the exception of handling the volume settings for notifications and phone calls.

keebz

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Leaving it plugged in would cause the battery to wear out quicker than normal, unless they fixed the problem with phones where it continues to use up Li-Ion battery charge cycles (this isn't the case with, for example, laptop batteries as they automatically stop charging and run on AC power only after it reaches full capacity).

Plus, as of this moment, the cord is stretching it the distance for me, based on where I'd need to put it during the night, ha... Can be fixed I guess with a bit of rearranging the furniture.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Leaving it plugged in would cause the battery to wear out quicker than normal, unless they fixed the problem with phones where it continues to use up Li-Ion battery charge cycles (this isn't the case with, for example, laptop batteries as they automatically stop charging and run on AC power only after it reaches full capacity).

Plus, as of this moment, the cord is stretching it the distance for me, based on where I'd need to put it during the night, ha... Can be fixed I guess with a bit of rearranging the furniture.

From everything I have ever heard, that's been a non-issue for a while now. Phone batteries are designed to not only stop charging and slightly discharge after being fully charged, but completely switch over to AC power until the phone is unplugged. In which case, the battery kicks in.

keebz

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys I'll check it out by changing the settings and keeping it plugged in.

But, Chris Kerrigan, I remember reading that this whole issue with the Droid Incredible started from that problem -- you keep it plugged in, the LED hits green when fully charged, but instead of using AC power exclusively, the phone just starts using the battery. Then, when people took it off the charger in the morning and looked at the battery usage/icon a few minutes later, it went from full to probably 85-90% or less. You would think the battery/charger would operate similarly to laptops by now, but supposedly, at least with the Droid, the same logic is not followed.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
From my understanding that's an issue with just the Incredible, as it's not an issue with anything else that I've ever seen. Phone batteries are deigned in this fashion, but for God knows whatever reason, something is screwed up with the Inc either hardware or software wise that completely goes against all of that.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys I'll check it out by changing the settings and keeping it plugged in.

But, Chris Kerrigan, I remember reading that this whole issue with the Droid Incredible started from that problem -- you keep it plugged in, the LED hits green when fully charged, but instead of using AC power exclusively, the phone just starts using the battery. Then, when people took it off the charger in the morning and looked at the battery usage/icon a few minutes later, it went from full to probably 85-90% or less. You would think the battery/charger would operate similarly to laptops by now, but supposedly, at least with the Droid, the same logic is not followed.

This is the reason some people like to bump charge their phones. I used to wake up, unplug, see what emails had rolled in overnight then turn the phone off and re-plug while i showered etc...by the time i was done getting ready for work the light was green again i was ready to rock.

About your cord stretched to the max problem, if you came from the Storm 1 (and loads of us did), you can use that charger...the cord is way longer and it charges the phone just as well...maybe a little slower due to the lower rating but it works. In fact I only use my original Inc charger when I'm traveling and I use the old BB one at home. That way I don't have to worry about "did i pack my charger or not", it just stays packed in my bag.

easy1jay

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I've been using my Droid Incredible as a night clock since I've got it back in April. I leave it plugged in overnight, around seven hours, and hadn't had any problems with it not being fully charged in the morning. Although I also have my screen set to stay lit when plugged in. This can also be controlled with an app called Setting Profiles Lite.

As for keeping it propped up, I've been using a mesh business card holder which has worked quite well for me. These are a couple bucks at Target or Office Depot.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I've been using my Droid Incredible as a night clock since I've got it back in April. I leave it plugged in overnight, around seven hours, and hadn't had any problems with it not being fully charged in the morning. Although I also have my screen set to stay lit when plugged in. This can also be controlled with an app called Setting Profiles Lite.

As for keeping it propped up, I've been using a mesh business card holder which has worked quite well for me. These are a couple bucks at Target or Office Depot.

Thats a good idea!

169072_sk_lg.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bongo