DROID MAXX: Lollipop Update News

Status
Not open for further replies.

droiduser247

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
I haven't heard anything lately but, Motorola has been updating their apps for support of 5.1 I have a feeling it'll be soon. Hopefully by December.

Posted via the Android Central App

mwmmikey

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
FYI: A security update just came in today.
24.13.3.en.US
Likely stagefright version 1 since someone on the moto forums is noting it's not passing all the stagefright tests.
Size: 2.7 MB

Last edited:

steveg2112

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
As they have only just got around to patching for stage fright I am guessing there is no prospect of lollipop anytime soon, if there were they could have done the patch as part of lollipop.
At this point I think moto and vzw are hoping the majority of people will have forgotten their promise to update our phones.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
There's no evidence of that at all. It was likely faster to push a security patch for Stagefright than get a full upgrade approved and pushed.

I'm not 100% confident that they'll push lollipop eventually, but I'm more than 90% confident. Though this is over two years old, they were selling the phone as new as recently as last week, I believe. There are plenty of people we are just starting a two year upgrade cycle with the droid Maxx or droid mini.

redline31

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Android 6.0 has been confirmed for our droid maxx for early 2016. The likelihood of the droid maxx getting 5.0 or 5.1 in the meantime are very slim.

Edit : 6.0confirmed for the moto maxx, not the droid maxx. Sorry to get your hopes up guys.

castigs

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Source?
I think you're confusing the Droid Maxx with the Moto Maxx... Only the latter of which there was any announcement that it is getting 6.0.

Posted via the Android Central App

kappadappa

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Motorola and Verizon lost me with their broken promises on this phone. I've moved to a Nexus 6P and am thrilled that I did.

I have fond memories of loving my Droid phones in the past, but never again.

Rafael Mejia

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issue, just turn your location off. If u do factory reset you won't have the issue at first, but as soon as u start downloading apps that use your location, I'll start rebooting again. Hope that helps. PS: excuse my broken English.

Keith Garwick

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I do not expect Motorola to ever again upgrade the Droid Maxx (xt1080m Obake). The logic is simple:
- Droid Maxx was the flagship device in 2013
- Hardware / software intercept has come and gone (very, very gone)
- Motorola is a corporation that intends to make a profit, they do not operate as a not-for-profit or a charity
- New devices command a much higher profit margin, and an increased demand, over older devices
- KitKat software development has been fully amortized
- There is no profit motive to justify spending additional resources to develop a new OS for a device that is being phased out
- Security updates are generally not platform specific, ya' gotta build them anyways - distribute the critical patches as needed

I love my Obake. It has every single feature that I prioritized when I purchased it. The 4.4.4 build works splendidly, outperforming all the custom 5.0 ROMS that I have tested on it.

"But what's in a name...."

kwadguy

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
The problem with the Droid Maxx is that it is based on the unusual processor / chipset used for only a very short time, for the Moto X (2013) and the Droid Maxx. That platform was quickly orphaned as Motorola went to a more standard platform. So maintaining updates for that platform is not a priority.

The Lollipop update was pushed out for the Moto X (2013), which suggests it wouldn't be an appreciably large amount of work to work one up for the Droid Maxx. But the Maxx does have a few hardware differences, such as wireless charging.

Not to mention that the Lollipop update that did get pushed out to the Moto X, even 5.1.1, has its issues. And, honestly, Lollipop isn't that huge an update to Kitkat 4.4.4.

Anyway, Verizon doesn't seem that keen on the update, and Motorola certainly isn't. So there you have it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The Maxx is still listed to receive lollipop "pending partner support". They still haven't announced that it won't get it.

As time goes by I imagine it gets more and more likely that the update won't happen, but they were selling the Maxx until a month or two ago, so some people are still using newly bought devices. It's not like they stopped selling it a year or more ago.

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I wonder why it is such a big secret as to if/when there will be a Lollipop release for the Droid MAXX. :confused: Why can't they just say what their plans are in this regard? Either they (Verizon/Motorola) are working on a release, or they are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.