DROID MAXX: Lollipop Update News

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewCfromCT

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Lollipop is way past irrelevant at this point and the Maxx will never see Marshmallow.

Bought a 6P and 6.0 is the best OS so far by a lot.
Since I am content with KK I'm ok with my Maxx (for now) and I find it funny that I'll be skipping Lolipop like I skipped ICS (started Android with GB)...BUT I would HOPE for an explanation/apology from Moto/VZW about "why?" (but I will NOT be holding my breath)

Oynxcrest

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I wonder why it is such a big secret as to if/when there will be a Lollipop release for the Droid MAXX. :confused: Why can't they just say what their plans are in this regard? Either they (Verizon/Motorola) are working on a release, or they are not.

We just spent 40 minutes on the phone with Verizon tech support because our MAXX with 4.4.4 won't work with the new Mazda Bluetooth. The tech support guy didn't seem hopeful of an update. Motorola has announced that they have the update, but have not released it to Verizon. He seemed a little peeved about this as well.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Wait, Motorola has the update, but isn't releasing it?

Wow, they really care about their customers!

Never believe anything a Verizon or Motorola support technician tells you. They could be accidentally right, but nobody at their level would know the answer to that question.

anon(8444889)

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
It is too bad they have apparently abandoned the Maxx. Now that Verizon has ended the 2 year phone contracts there is less incentive to upgrade your phone every 2 years like there was before. I will probably keep the Maxx for another year as long as it holds up. But when I do get a new phone I will probably get a Nexus since I know it will receive continuous support past 2 years.

Motorola/Lenovo may be saving money now by not spending resources to update the Maxx but they will also lose future customers like myself when it comes time to get my next phone. But maybe there are not many like me that put this level of importance on updates so they may not care. Darn.

Posted via the Android Central App

trace_effect

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
The Motorola Droid series (unlike the Moto X plus for example) are more a Verizon flagship than Motorola. Motorola devices are typical 99% OEM and they get the updates faster/more regularly than anything save for Nexus devices.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Right, it's not Motorola's call when the Droids get updates. It's very possible that the update is done but Verizon and doesn't want to push it.

clay.bergen

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Android 6.0 has been confirmed for our droid maxx for early 2016. The likelihood of the droid maxx getting 5.0 or 5.1 in the meantime are very slim.

Edit : 6.0confirmed for the moto maxx, not the droid maxx. Sorry to get your hopes up guys.
I heard from a reputable source that marshmallow will be rolled out to the Droid Maxx xt1080m in 2 weeks from now.

Don't shoot the messenger if that doesn't happen.

Jheebs

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I heard from a reputable source that marshmallow will be rolled out to the Droid Maxx xt1080m in 2 weeks from now.

Don't shoot the messenger if that doesn't happen.

Ha ha ha...that's the funniest thing I ever heard. Your source lied...

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I have no reason to doubt them, but what would point to this being a lie?

1. The Droid Maxx hasn't received the lollipop update yet.

2. The droid Maxx is not on the list of Motorola phones that will get marshmallow. It's still listed as getting lollipop pending partner support.

Jheebs

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

2. The droid Maxx is not on the list of Motorola phones that will get marshmallow. It's still listed as getting lollipop pending partner support.

This...+1

clay.bergen

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site

Hmmm. Well, maybe the person I got info from misunderstood me. Lying would be uncharacteristic for this person.

Droid Maxx 2 perhaps?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Just talked to my sources. Yes. Mixed up. Droid Maxx not being updated. <sigh>

Anyone know how to unlock a non-dev version of the bootloader for XT1080m? :)

Your source still wasn't right about any Motorola phone getting an update in two weeks (by 1/25).

If your droid Maxx never took the update to 4.4.4, the sunshine app would be able to unlock the bootloader. Otherwise - nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.