Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanker8764

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
We will get a upgrade whenever Verizon decides we need it until then just relax and know that Verizon knows what's best for us Hail to the great and powerful Verizon

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
We will get a upgrade whenever Verizon decides we need it until then just relax and know that Verizon knows what's best for us Hail to the great and powerful Verizon

When you hail Verizon, you'd better be standing on one foot, one eye closed, flapping your left arm like a chicken with your right thumb stuck up your ****. That's what the Verizon CSRs have to do when they take a call. ;-)

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have info on whether 5.1 improves the fallback to non-hd call? Or will we be forever turning off a function because of Verizon's idiotic choice to barrel forward with volte with Turbo's one radio thereby suffering dropped calls & sketchy simultaneous voice & data?

I doubt it. They had a similar issue when they introduced 3G as well IIRC. You also used to drop calls when moving between towers. That was always fun when driving to a job site with tech support on the line. I think part of the issue here is that 1X/3G are CDMA, and LTE is a form of GSM. If they hadn't dropped the 2 antenna setup we previously had, I don't think we would've had this issue, but I believe they did that because a 2 antenna setup with VoLTE murdered battery life.

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Seems like most "flagship" Verizon branded phones are actually beta testers for Verizon's way down the road end game (eg: thunderbolt). It became a "red headed step-child shortly after being touted as the next best thing since sliced bread. My fear is the Turbo is mirroring that path. My next device will not be a Verizon exclusive no matter how good it looks on paper.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Seems like most "flagship" Verizon branded phones are actually beta testers for Verizon's way down the road end game (eg: thunderbolt). It became a "red headed step-child shortly after being touted as the next best thing since sliced bread. My fear is the Turbo is mirroring that path. My next device will not be a Verizon exclusive no matter how good it looks on paper.

What is the Turbo supposed to be a test bed for? It wasn't the first device that got Advance Calling, or even the second, so their really isn't anything else that it could be. The Droid series aren't usually the first in line for updates, they end up behind OEMS flagship devices, the ones that are available from more than one carrier. That's how it's pretty much always been.

People seriously need to chill out. Android 5.1 has just started rolling out to the Nexus devices recently, my N7 WiFi doesn't even have it yet. IIRC, the only Motorola devices that have beat Nexus to the punch on updates is the X series, the Droid Maxx may have beat the X to 4.4, but I believe the Nexus beat of them to it.

JackamusFl

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Personally The roll is slowed because carry issues. Take android and treat it like apple and force updates. IMHO.

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
the Droid Maxx may have beat the X to 4.4,

It didn't; the X was updated to KitKat about a month before the maxx/ultra/mini got KitKat, which was stopped for a few weeks when some people had bricked phones from the Droid update. The X didn't beat the nexus 5,obviously, which was released with KitKat, but it beat some older nexus tablets and all of the Google play edition devices, which happened again with Lollipop on the 2014 X. Even on Verizon, both times...

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
What is the Turbo supposed to be a test bed for? It wasn't the first device that got Advance Calling, or even the second, so their really isn't anything else that it could be. The Droid series aren't usually the first in line for updates, they end up behind OEMS flagship devices, the ones that are available from more than one carrier. That's how it's pretty much always been.

People seriously need to chill out. Android 5.1 has just started rolling out to the Nexus devices recently, my N7 WiFi doesn't even have it yet. IIRC, the only Motorola devices that have beat Nexus to the punch on updates is the X series, the Droid Maxx may have beat the X to 4.4, but I believe the Nexus beat of them to it.
How about a SINGLE RADIO precluding any fallback should glitches in the AC plan INEVITABLY happen?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It didn't; the X was updated to KitKat about a month before the maxx/ultra/mini got KitKat, which was stopped for a few weeks when some people had bricked phones from the Droid update. The X didn't beat the nexus 5,obviously, which was released with KitKat, but it beat some older nexus tablets and all of the Google play edition devices, which happened again with Lollipop on the 2014 X. Even on Verizon, both times...

That should've been 4.4.4, not just 4.4.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
How about a SINGLE RADIO precluding any fallback should glitches in the AC plan INEVITABLY happen?

I thought I read that all phones are going to that configuration, but it only really affects CDMA/LTE handsets because the techs are so different. On an AT&T or T-Mobile model it's not an issue since LTE was a version of GSM. The reason for the switch I thought had to do with horrible battery life with 2 radios & VoLTE (Advance Calling).

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I thought I read that all phones are going to that configuration, but it only really affects CDMA/LTE handsets because the techs are so different. On an AT&T or T-Mobile model it's not an issue since LTE was a version of GSM. The reason for the switch I thought had to do with horrible battery life with 2 radios & VoLTE (Advance Calling).

That's the type of trade off I as a consumer can understand. Just as I understand if I want a paper thin phone, I will have to give up other sstuff: battery life, maybe wireless charging, or SD card...anything that takes up space, obviously.

It's those types of trade offs that make it so difficult for any of us to find our "perfect phone." Regardless of our priorities, some of the stuff we love best will tend to be mutually exclusive with other stuff high on our lists. For Samsung to make a physically beautiful, more premium looking and feeling phone like the S6, it had to sacrifice some of the things long time fans coveted. For HTC to have that metal unibody, it had to forego removable batteries and wireless charging.

I like the aesthetic of the HTC One materials. I've always liked metal phones going way back to some of the tiny Nokias 15 years ago. If I go that route, I likely suffer less radio efficiency, increased possibility of dinging and denting, no wireless charging, etc. I'd love to have a metal phone, but they haven't swayed me with enough things high on my list to make that plunge.

Anyway, I'm rambling a bit, but (as is well documented LOL) the camera is my only complaint with the Turbo. I hope its ultimate replacement model, whatever it might be called, fixes the camera issues and maybe adds some more interesting materials choices. I like they went with ballistic nylon. I'd go for a leather back like the G4 will have, or the Moto X has had. As long as they don't go backwards somewhere else, that could just be my perfect phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Personally The roll is slowed because carry issues. Take android and treat it like apple and force updates. IMHO.

Posted via the Android Central App

Please read up on how Android and Android updates work.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Just to clarify something, older verizon android phones didn't have two cellular radios - they had dual antennas and a single mobile radio that could transmit on both CDMA and LTE at the same time. The Moto X, the Turbo, the Nexus 6, and the iPhones (I'm not sure about the s6 or the m9) don't have the dual antenna connection.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Just to clarify something, older verizon android phones didn't have two cellular radios - they had dual antennas and a single mobile radio that could transmit on both CDMA and LTE at the same time. The Moto X, the Turbo, the Nexus 6, and the iPhones (I'm not sure about the s6 or the m9) don't have the dual antenna connection.

That's what I thought, and when I went to check, there wasn't any official articles on single antennas, but there were quite a bit of stuff on single radio voice, so I thought maybe I misread it earlier on.

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
You just made my point. If "older verizon android phones" had an issue they had a fallback capability (handoff to legacy systems) and didn't just drop in progress calls which now regularly happens because of sketchy (falsely marketed) LTE coverage (either that or the end user is forced to shut off that same promoted function while also giving up simultaneous voice & data unless they're connected to WiFi) . If AC HD calling is in it's infantcy shouldn't a supposed premier flagship device at least not regress in functionality of legacy hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.