DROID Turbo vs DROID Maxx - Upgrade or Stay?

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Turbo vs Maxx - Upgrade or Stay?

Personally the reason I have liked Moto phones is they do the basic things well. Sturdy build, best radios, great battery life, close to stock android. From what I am reading the Turbo is lacking in some basic areas. Weak wifi and LTE signals, bad call volume, no voice & data yet, questions around VoLTE dropping calls if you lose your 4g signal. What good are all the bells & whistles if the basic functions of the phone don't work well? I'm holding out to see if these things can be fixed with software upgrades. Otherwise the Turbo seems like a pass to me. Really disappointing because I have been looking forward to this phone for months and was planning to jump on it right away.

Yeah. I really hope there is a version that will work on AT&T. I think the battery life will be even better. (My opinion of course) and the voice and data thing won't be a problem. I know VoLTE is coming but that won't work without LTE I assume and Verizon has a lot of holes in lte where I am and where I travel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

Best described this way - my upgrade last year from the S3 to the Maxx was a huge smile. Going from the Maxx to the Turbo is just a little grin.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Best described this way - my upgrade last year from the S3 to the Maxx was a huge smile. Going from the Maxx to the Turbo is just a little grin.

Having this many bright beautiful pixels on screen for over 8 hours makes me dance like Taylor Swift. Shake it off!

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Arrrgghh....I did not know that. Sorry for the post. I guess I'll be looking forward to these features. acole10000, not so much. Apologies.

Sounds like you are referring to theDROID RAZR MAXXX not the DROID MAXX

TechCaptain

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

I have the Maxx, and I debated whether to go to the Turbo or not, then I decided not to. The Maxx is still a powerhouse of a phone, and it can still do everything I want it to with ease. The only things that bug me are the faster processor and better camera on the Turbo, but the Maxx's camera is still fairly good, and it is still very fast, considering it doesn't have nearly as many pixels to push and it has 8 cores for different tasks, it still has the specs in my opinion to run with the current flagships.

Posted via the Android Central App

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site

IMHO I would wait till it is ready to throw out a window. I bought the Turbo 64GB because my Samsung SGS3 was wading away and even with an extended battery it would not last 6 hours..
Personally, I might switch to Edge to buy out my Turbo and upgrade to either the LG G4 or The newest HTC newest flagship.

Sent using my Verizon Turbo charged 64GB Ballistic Nylon phone unfortunately with a case on back

reddingb

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site

This has been one of the best threads I've seen in a long time. I agree with almost every point made. I had the Maxx, then went with the Turbo, Like another post stated, I had to have the newest greatest out there, so went with the Turbo, Due to some medical expenses I sold my turbo and went back to the Maxx and to be honest I like it better, has mentioned the feel is a lot better than the Turbo, but the ballistic on the Turbo is pretty sweet. The size is quite different, one post said not much of a difference however when in hand you will feel the difference, battery life was no different at all between the two, My opinion is to stay with the Maxx, Both are incredible phones but the Turbo is not worth the added cost.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site

I had the MAXX. Went to the Turbo. Hated the camera. Might have been more mp, and better at landscapes, but that was it. Out of frustration went back to the MAXX. Didnt find one point of regret or missing anything when giving up the Turbo. Ive since given up motorola completely, as they offered me nothing but a good battery, but if picking between the two, im 100% with the MAXX.

TechCaptain

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
The lack of colored email notifications is a major drawback

I do like this on my Maxx HD. Green light is text message. Blue light is K9 mail, white is Gmail, red is comcast mail, etc. However the Turbo's notification comes up with icons indicating if it's Gmail, other email, text messages, voicemails, etc. Pull your phone out of your pocket and you see the time and the notification icons. Hey, you have a Gmail. You can then tap on the Gmail icon and it will give you a preview of the email message, if you want to read it you swipe up. With the Maxx HD (and I presume the Maxx) you have to power up the screen, pull down the window shade to see the notification then tap on it to see what it is. Furthermore, if you like, you can hand wave over the display of the Turbo and it will show you the notifications.

Here's some other stuff I'm looking forward to doing:

[Droid Turbo is sitting on the table, asleep] "OK Google, How old is Demi Moore?"
[Maxx is sitting on the table, asleep] Pick up phone. Power on the screen. Swipe up from the app drawer icon. "OK Google, how old is Demi Moore?"
----
[Droid Turbo is in your pocket, you want to take a picture] Pull Turbo out of pocket, quickly twist wrist, pull phone up so you can look at screen. Take picture. Looks pretty good.
[Maxx is in your pocket, you want to take a picture] Pull Maxx out of your pocket. Power on screen. Tap on the camera icon. Pull phone up so you can look at screen. Take picture. Looks OK.
----
[Droid Turbo is in the other room, you are working on your PC] Text message comes in. Window pops up on your PC alerting you to the text. You read the text and respond using your PC's keyboard. You don't touch your Droid Turbo.
[Maxx is in the other room, you are working on your PC] Text message comes in. LED notification light starts winking green. You don't even know you have a text message until you go into the other room and look at your phone. When you discover you have a text, you power up the phone, pull the window shade down, tap on the notification, read the text message, then respond using phone keyboard.

The Droid Maxx can do all of that too ya know

Sent from my (still relevant) Droid Maxx

reddingb

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site

Having both phones in hand and using both off and on for several months I have to agree that the Maxx is my choice like many . First of all the 5.0 Maxx feels 100% better than the 5.2 Turbo , doesn't sound like a lot but it is. I actually get better battery performance from the 3500 mh Maxx than I do from the 3800 mh Turbo. The texture on the the Maxx just cant be beat, yes the ballistic on the turbo looks beautiful but it does slip from hands more often if used naked. As far as performance both are almost the same, yes the Turbo's speed is a little quicker and the quality if the picture is a little sharper but unless you are a tech, fanatic the difference is not enough to upgrade. I personally would like to see the same Droid Turbo come out with a 4,7 screen but with the same specs the turbo has. The phones are coming out too big, this is one time that bigger is not always better. Stick with the Maxx.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_glow