Emergency call from lock screen other uses

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
At last I found a better use for the emergency call from lock screen (Nothing to do with emergency mode)

Initially I was trying to remove it (No luck there) as it gave a full dialer keypad and I imagined if someone found my lost phone they could call anywhere and run up a bill, but it seems it will only call a recognized emergency number even though you can type any number in. I do not know what numbers it excepts but presume they are the standard 999 or 911

1dialer.png

I then found by using contacts you can assign existing contacts as emergency numbers. This allows you to populate the 4 icons on the front of the emergency dialer and if you have more than 4 you can also search/review the others from the dialer lower left button.

Doing this apart from it's primary use as an emergency feature also acts as a speed dial

dialer.png

To complete it's usefulness I changed the scrolling owner information on the lock screen to "If found please call using the emergency call button below" so apart from calling your lost phone from a friends you may also be lucky someone calls your friend/partner from your lost phone

ziva2006

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
That is extremely useful and great tip. Took me awhile to figure out how to add a contact to it though. You have to add the contact to your ICE (In Case of Emergency) group. Awesome!

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
That is extremely useful and great tip. Took me awhile to figure out how to add a contact to it though. You have to add the contact to your ICE (In Case of Emergency) group. Awesome!

Sorry yes should of noted it was the ICE group in contacts

I spent a lot of time searching for how to remove the lock screen but there seems no standard way although I just noticed now there is an option to remove but that maybe just the Icons and there are almost no images of the emergency dialer or reference to it in the manual.

I think some service providers may customize this feature so some may not have the full functionality that other do

Marc Wilson 57

May 2, 2014
Visit site
How do you get the little icons to appear on the lock screen?
Mine just shows a lot of grey buttons with "+" on. When I press one, it shows a list of people to call.

Which is handy, but not quite "Speed dial".

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
How do you get the little icons to appear on the lock screen?
Mine just shows a lot of grey buttons with "+" on. When I press one, it shows a list of people to call.

Which is handy, but not quite "Speed dial".

As we noted above go to contacts and use the groups function a little icon with 2 heads, you will see a group already there ICE-Emergency contacts

Just add some contacts to this group then they will be available on the emergency dialer to add as icons or to search/list,

Tap the grey + icon and the first person you select from the list will be allocated to that icon

It's just two key presses to dial up to four people so faster than speed dial as you do not have to unlock your device and three presses for calling more

Last edited:

AsgharUK

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
Excellent tip, thanks.

Just wondering though, how do I remove or change a contact that is added to one the four crosses, even if I remove the contact from the emergency group it still appears on the speed dial (one of the four crosses) and pressing it just dials the number.

CharlieRoberts88

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Excellent tip, thanks.

Just wondering though, how do I remove or change a contact that is added to one the four crosses, even if I remove the contact from the emergency group it still appears on the speed dial (one of the four crosses) and pressing it just dials the number.

I also had this problem, I solved it by editing the contact, I changed the number that was on the contact from 'mobile' to 'home' or 'work'.
So then the number was still saved in my contacts but not in the lock screen.

letmewashyourlegs

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I tried this today and it didn't seem to work. I even deleted the contact from my phone, but clicking the plus where the contact's image used to be still dials that contact's number. It's really really important that I am able to completely destroy any way of contacting this person. Is there anything I can do other than factory reset my phone?

readmore28

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
In regards to the question about getting rid of contacts on the emergency dialer. If you're on the emergency dialer from the lock screen press your settings button and then click on remove. A little checkbox will pop up on the right hand side of the contact's image/profile allowing you to remove any selected profile from your emergency list. Good luck!

Jason Denwalt

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
I tried this today and it didn't seem to work. I even deleted the contact from my phone, but clicking the plus where the contact's image used to be still dials that contact's number. It's really really important that I am able to completely destroy any way of contacting this person. Is there anything I can do other than factory reset my phone?

If you tap and hold the person in the 4 boxes on your emergency dial screen (the one with the 4 boxes) you can then check them and delete them

lgossin

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
go to a contact, edit it, look at the group section (each contact should have one), (press the group field) ICE is one of the default groups

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe