Extended battery drained SO quickly...why?

Sal

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
My extended battery got drained SUPER fast today.So I love my extended battery but for some reason today, my phone lasted about 8-9 hours. That doesn't seem bad, but that's on "moderate" usage and for this extended battery its about half of what I'm used to. I've used my phone way more than this before and it has always lasted 14 or more hours and sometimes even up to 20 with light to moderate usage. I watched it today drain WAY faster than normal. I checked the battery usage and it was the usual display using the most (I keep it on low setting) followed by calls and camera and web, etc... Nothing out of the ordinary today. I used my camera several times. The only different thing I did was download the new Vintage Camera app and played with it for about 10 minutes. But then I closed it out and went about my day.

I also checked the usage settings and it showed that my Android System was running 100% of the day with no sleeping. I wasn't using it that much. The screen was off when I wasn't using it. Any one have any ideas what happened?

Its now totally drained so I have no way of getting more stats. Booo. Thanks for your thoughts!

Wierd. Had same problem yesterday and today with extend battery, which had worked well before. Rebooted and battery pulled twice. Nothing looks unusual under battery usage breakdown. Gonna try uninstalling last app or two, maybe....

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Wierd. Had same problem yesterday and today with extend battery, which had worked well before. Rebooted and battery pulled twice. Nothing looks unusual under battery usage breakdown. Gonna try uninstalling last app or two, maybe....

As I mentioned before, the only other weird thing for me beside my phone showing that it was "Running 100%" of the day with no sleep time was that when it shut down and I charged it and started it back up, it showed (using the Phone Info app) that it was in LTE Mode. I doubt this had any influence but it was strange that it switched from "CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto" to "LTE mode" on its own somehow. Glad to be on track and hope your similar issue is resolved soon.

Sal

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, SMD. I have Phone Info too. Just checked and I'm on the correct setting. So I uninstalled a Tv show streaming app I most recently installed. We'll see...:)

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
Sal, I will say one thing that was promising is the fact that the extended battery lasted that long even with something running continuosly. That would been a dead stock battery in about an hour or two.

szes0002

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Extended Battery Performance

I Purchased the Thunderbolt on Launch day. I ended up purchasing the 2750 Extended battery within a week of owning the phone. Since then, I could not have been happier with my battery performance. Not once had my phone died - and I abused it! However - the past 4-5 days I have been getting unusually bad performance out of it. It is now 3:20 in the afternoon - and i have 16% battery. At this point in the day prior to the poor battery life - I would have been around 75% charged. Any ideas what is going on? I've done a battery pull - and still no success. I've gone through and looked at some apps I have previously downloaded. One is the LTE App - which toggles between 3g and 4G. The other is the version of skype mobile that was just released a week ago, which allows the use of video. Another is wordsmith. However, I've made sure neither of these programs are constantly running in the background. It's just strange, because I used to be able to go 36 hours without needing to charge, and now I can barely make it 8. It's almost like I'm back to using the stock battery again. I would like to avoid a phone reset to factory settings if possible, so I don't lose my customized settings and apps.

Any Ideas to help me out?

Last edited:

Sal

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm a little confused. I deleted TV Show Streaming app and battery life seemed to return to normal for the previously great ext battery. Then yesterday, it did that weird thing where the battery gauge suddenly dropped 27% with a reboot, instead of more gradually\incrementally...and then it didn't take a full charge overnight, only up to 67%. WTF?

pbannist

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I think sometimes some program gets stuck in a constant data/sync mode and can run your battery down lickity split. Once I had a data sync operation get "stuck" where the data arrows were constantly on and never went off. The battery/phone was getting quite hot. It was obvious something wasn't right. I powered down, took out the battery, put it back together, powered it on and it's been fine ever since. That was three weeks ago :)

-Frank

I have had this issue a few times too. Even rebooting sometimes doesn't solve it - it just is in perma-communicating mode, running really hot, and I can't access the net in any apps at all. Even after a reboot it can sometimes just go back into this state, like whatever is doing this mass-communication isn't done yet. I usually just swap into Airplane mode for 10 minutes and when I go back it's fine.

That said, since getting my extended battery, this issue notwithstanding, I also get great battery life, and am still at 40-50% charge at the end of a 16 hour day with pretty heavy usage.

Are there any apps that show you what is using your network connection? Edit: Trying "Traffic Monitor Widget" now

biogon

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Just had this happen to me. Using the extended battery.

For the first 2 weeks, I was getting a solid 20+ hours off the charger and the battery still being around 30% with moderate use.

The past few days, I take it off the charger, and it drops 4% in the first 10 minutes.

On standby, it's dropped from 96% to 81% in ONE (1) hour.

I HAVE tried rebooting. It's on wifi the whole time.

What the hell!?

szes0002

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I have had this issue a few times too. Even rebooting sometimes doesn't solve it - it just is in perma-communicating mode, running really hot, and I can't access the net in any apps at all. Even after a reboot it can sometimes just go back into this state, like whatever is doing this mass-communication isn't done yet. I usually just swap into Airplane mode for 10 minutes and when I go back it's fine.

That said, since getting my extended battery, this issue notwithstanding, I also get great battery life, and am still at 40-50% charge at the end of a 16 hour day with pretty heavy usage.

Are there any apps that show you what is using your network connection? Edit: Trying "Traffic Monitor Widget" now
I have come across this app as well - but after reading the reviews I didn't want to install it as it seems it uses a lot of battery juice and cpu power just by itself. However, as a one time diagnostic, and then un-install, it might not be a bad idea. Any news from you trying the program?

pbannist

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I have come across this app as well - but after reading the reviews I didn't want to install it as it seems it uses a lot of battery juice and cpu power just by itself. However, as a one time diagnostic, and then un-install, it might not be a bad idea. Any news from you trying the program?

I've had it running a few hours now and haven't had it using that much battery - can't see it at all in the "What's using my battery" page and if it's getting classified under OS or System (since it's a widget...?) they don't seem particularly high.

It's not perfect for what I was thinking (doesn't have any graphing, plus it's very slow to update the detailed views it keeps), but does seem like it may help me catch whatever the culprit is on my phone. So far have found that Pulse is doing a lot of downloading that I didn't know about, but only 4M so nothing to be super-concerned about. I'll keep watching:)

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
Are you guys with battery issues in 4G areas? I'm in Philadelphia and my buddies on Verizon are asking me about the TB.

Right now the 4G connection in Columbia, SC has been constant all day and hasn't been switching between 3G and 4G so the battery has been the same as 3G. The only time it was draining quickly was yesterday when the signal kept on switching back and forth.

szes0002

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I've had it running a few hours now and haven't had it using that much battery - can't see it at all in the "What's using my battery" page and if it's getting classified under OS or System (since it's a widget...?) they don't seem particularly high.

It's not perfect for what I was thinking (doesn't have any graphing, plus it's very slow to update the detailed views it keeps), but does seem like it may help me catch whatever the culprit is on my phone. So far have found that Pulse is doing a lot of downloading that I didn't know about, but only 4M so nothing to be super-concerned about. I'll keep watching:)
I have also downloaded the traffic monitor widget and have not found any specific programs that are running and using my network power. So I'm not sure what is going on, because even yesterday the extended battery still isn't what it used to be. 8 hours is not enough for this thing......

biogon

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
A curious thing:

I noticed a lot of my apps and widgets magically switched themselves to updating on a much more frequent schedule than I had originally set.

For example, the "News" app, which I never use, was sucking down the most power according to Spare Parts, because it started updating every hour over WiFi.

A weather app had set itself to update every 15 minutes.
A Google RSS reader had set itself to update every 30 minutes.

I reset them to update every 3 hours or on demand only.

Currently: 2h 41m uptime, 94% battery. That's better!

-j

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
A curious thing:

I noticed a lot of my apps and widgets magically switched themselves to updating on a much more frequent schedule than I had originally set.

For example, the "News" app, which I never use, was sucking down the most power according to Spare Parts, because it started updating every hour over WiFi.

A weather app had set itself to update every 15 minutes.
A Google RSS reader had set itself to update every 30 minutes.

I reset them to update every 3 hours or on demand only.

Currently: 2h 41m uptime, 94% battery. That's better!

-j

Yea, I've been getting a lot of updates but I have also noticed that since our 4G connection started here my Best Buy app will NOT work at all!

EDIT: The app comes on but then as soon as things start to load I get an error message asking me to Force Stop it or Report it.

Realestatepro

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
New user with battery questions...

Hello everyone... Im a new to android and the thunderbolt is my first android phone... so far i love it with the exception of the battery life... so as suggested i picked up an extended battery but for some reason i am not getting the battery life i expected out of it... if i take the phone off the charger at 8am by 4-5 pm its dead... i read this whole thread and it seems some people are getting 20+ hours and im not getting anything close to that...

I have downloaded several apps such as angry birds,astro, lookout, advanced task killer, documents 2 go, ekey, facebook, free music download, goggles, keyring, LTE onoff, movies, run keeper, and trip advisor every other app on the phone are the stock apps that came pre installed from verizon... however i rarely use any of the apps and when i do i close them out or at least i believe im closing them out properly ( previously a blackberry user ) the only apps that i believe are running are advanced task killer and lookout... is that was causing it to drain so drastically... i mean i literally had it plugged in at my office until it was at 100% i unplugged it and withing 15 mins it was at 89% makes absolutely no sense to me...

Im a newb when it comes to Android so Any help would be greatly appreciated...

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
Hello everyone... Im a new to android and the thunderbolt is my first android phone... so far i love it with the exception of the battery life... so as suggested i picked up an extended battery but for some reason i am not getting the battery life i expected out of it... if i take the phone off the charger at 8am by 4-5 pm its dead... i read this whole thread and it seems some people are getting 20+ hours and im not getting anything close to that...

I have downloaded several apps such as angry birds,astro, lookout, advanced task killer, documents 2 go, ekey, facebook, free music download, goggles, keyring, LTE onoff, movies, run keeper, and trip advisor every other app on the phone are the stock apps that came pre installed from verizon... however i rarely use any of the apps and when i do i close them out or at least i believe im closing them out properly ( previously a blackberry user ) the only apps that i believe are running are advanced task killer and lookout... is that was causing it to drain so drastically... i mean i literally had it plugged in at my office until it was at 100% i unplugged it and withing 15 mins it was at 89% makes absolutely no sense to me...

Im a newb when it comes to Android so Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Yea you absolutely have something running in the background cause I unplug my stock battery at 7:30am and can text, talk, surf a little get a few apps and by the time I go to the gym at 11:30 I am 89%. Try going to MENU>SETTINGS>ABOUT PHONE>BATTERY>BATTERY USE and see what is the most battery. My buddy has an extended battery and has been on it constantly and can make it all day long. By the time he gets home at around 8:00pm he is at 30%.