First attempt at rooting my Metro PCS SM-G360T1 using Odin and TWRP

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
I finally got the nerve to root my Metro PCS Core Prime phone. I used Odin and TWRP and SuperSu.
Now the phone will only boot as far as the Metro PCS screen, it won't go past it and I can't shut it off unless I remove the battery. Not very handy eh?

I wanted to make a backup using TWRP but I saw no way to choose where the backup(s) would go. I was aiming for the SD card but that wasn't a choice. Plus the TWRP I got was version 2.8.7.0 it was all I could find and I wasn't even sure it would work.

I ran the SuperSu zip file and it tells me it's installed ok but since I cant get past the welcome screen I can't tell if the bleeding thing was successfully rooted or not.
It sure is anything but handy to use the 3 finer salute to get to TWRP <sigh> maybe it's great once everything is working. Since there is no audio on bootup I don't even know if all the apps are even there anymore. Root Check was installed but of course I can't see it.

Thank you all in advance, this is all new to me so I am in uncharted waters. How to get out of this hole I dug?:confused:

Regards,

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Mustang7757,
I used Odin and installed TWRP then SuperSu. According to Odin it all installed OK and once in TWRP I was able to choose and run the SuperSu .zip.

But beyond that I can't do anything since it hangs on the welcome screen from Metro. I will try as you suggest and see what goes on.

Thank you!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Mustang7757,
I used Odin and installed TWRP then SuperSu. According to Odin it all installed OK and once in TWRP I was able to choose and run the SuperSu .zip.

But beyond that I can't do anything since it hangs on the welcome screen from Metro. I will try as you suggest and see what goes on.

Thank you!

Ok let me Know

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Ok let me Know

Sorry to report that there is the only choice I see in v.2.8.7.0 of TWRP is RESTORE.. when I select that there is nothing to restore,

Plus I used to get the default Android screen with the all the choices on it like 'wipe system cache' or 'format' I guess now that TWRP is there its overtop of that menu. Iv'e tried all sorts of key combinations but now I can't get it to run.

I thought it was odd that TWRP asked me again, if I want to leave the files read only.... I set that when I first, finally got TWRP to open.

There's no way but to take the battery out of the device to shut it off.

It only takes me 10 minutes to get TWRP to open LOL i keep getting the Odin screen telling me about custom ROMS being troublesome.

Thank you very much for your interest

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Sorry to report that there is the only choice I see in v.2.8.7.0 of TWRP is RESTORE.. when I select that there is nothing to restore,

Plus I used to get the default Android screen with the all the choices on it like 'wipe system cache' or 'format' I guess now that TWRP is there its overtop of that menu. Iv'e tried all sorts of key combinations but now I can't get it to run.

I thought it was odd that TWRP asked me again, if I want to leave the files read only.... I set that when I first, finally got TWRP to open.

There's no way but to take the battery out of the device to shut it off.

It only takes me 10 minutes to get TWRP to open LOL i keep getting the Odin screen telling me about custom roams being troublesome.

Thank you very much for your interest

If you have the stock file go into Odin , then put phone in download mode and flash it back stock to get out of this .

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
If you have the stock file go into Odin , then put phone in download mode and flash it back stock to get out of this .

That worked I am now back to the welcome screen where i put in my Language and set up WiFi, although I didn't do it yet. At least it boots up now and shuts off when it should. I did have to flash it 2 times tho to make it work. Where do you think the whole thing went into the weeds? Any reason to set up all the stuff again, if I am trying to root it? I needed space for more updates to the phone so I thought rooting would allow me to remove the bloatware. Then I was told 'that won't work" ... so then I discovered that if I go into App Manager and choose an app I don't use but can't remove....I chose UNINSTALL UPDATE then DISABLE. It not only makes the icon to that program disappear, it gives more space.WHY?
I'm not removing it by doing this and it was done when the phone wasn't rooted. I started out with 40MB of free space and when I was done, I had over 1 GB. Makes no sense to me but it worked. So if rooting had been successful 'could' I have removed apps I don't use or care about or must I have a custom ROM for that task?

Regards,

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That worked I am now back to the welcome screen where i put in my Language and set up WiFi, although I didn't do it yet. At least it boots up now and shuts off when it should. I did have to flash it 2 times tho to make it work. Where do you think the whole thing went into the weeds? Any reason to set up all the stuff again, if I am trying to root it? I needed space for more updates to the phone so I thought rooting would allow me to remove the bloatware. Then I was told 'that won't work" ... so then I discovered that if I go into App Manager and choose an app I don't use but can't remove....I chose UNINSTALL UPDATE then DISABLE. It not only makes the icon to that program disappear, it gives more space.WHY?
I'm not removing it by doing this and it was done when the phone wasn't rooted. I started out with 40MB of free space and when I was done, I had over 1 GB. Makes no sense to me but it worked. So if rooting had been successful 'could' I have removed apps I don't use or care about or must I have a custom ROM for that task?

Regards,

I'm glad the stock firmware worked , I'm not sure what went wrong , but you can root your phone and just remove bloat apps if that's what you need just leave the stock recovery and don't modify anything else

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
I'm glad the stock firmware worked , I'm not sure what went wrong , but you can root your phone and just remove bloat apps if that's what you need just leave the stock recovery and don't modify anything else

Is it safe to use Kingroot rather than Odin? It would be nice to be able to add SuperSu for root but must I first use TWRP that seems to be the preferred method, but you couldn't prove it by me at this point! What IS used to remove the bloatware? Is it an app or a ROM of some sort? I know TWRP has all sort of things you can do but in my case none of it seemed to works as advertised. In fact I NEVER did find the correct TWRP for my SM-G630TI Metro PCS phone. They make a big deal about that device being particular about what gets added to it. I looke all over and even at the XDA page, all the links to that file were dead or non existant. Maybe the one I used was wrong to start with I dunno. Is that frp going to pester me if I register it to a new account? It ws my wifes old phone thats why I am experimenting with it.

Thanks for your help and advice it was driving me batty!

Cheers mate,

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Is it safe to use Kingroot rather than Odin? It would be nice to be able to add SuperSu for root but must I first use TWRP that seems to be the preferred method, but you couldn't prove it by me at this point! What IS used to remove the bloatware? Is it an app or a ROM of some sort? I know TWRP has all sort of things you can do but in my case none of it seemed to works as advertised. In fact I NEVER did find the correct TWRP for my SM-G630TI Metro PCS phone. They make a big deal about that device being particular about what gets added to it. I looke all over and even at the XDA page, all the links to that file were dead or non existant. Maybe the one I used was wrong to start with I dunno. Is that frp going to pester me if I register it to a new account? It ws my wifes old phone thats why I am experimenting with it.

Thanks for your help and advice it was driving me batty!

Cheers mate,

No not kingroot, avoid it !!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I started out with 40MB of free space and when I was done, I had over 1 GB. Makes no sense to me but it worked. So if rooting had been successful 'could' I have removed apps I don't use or care about or must I have a custom ROM for that task?
No, rooting is enough.

What IS used to remove the bloatware? Is it an app or a ROM of some sort?
You need root access to uninstall a system app, nothing more.

In fact I NEVER did find the correct TWRP for my SM-G630TI Metro PCS phone. They make a big deal about that device being particular about what gets added to it.
Oops, that's probably the problem. You need the correct version of TWRP. The wrong one may fo some things, but it can also hard-brick the phone. 138.201.13.27/direct-download-link/TWRP_ms01lte-beta2.tar seems to be the right one. Or https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=24580957398892561. (I'd rather trust AndroidFileHost.) (The AndroidFileHost link is good - I just downloaded the file.)

Try that one, then see if you can boot.

If you can (you should be able to), go to https://forum.xda-developers.com/ga...w-to-root-galaxy-core-prime-g360t-t1-t3786762 to install Magisk.

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Rukbat,

Thanks for all the useful information and the links and the DIY page on XDA. I have seen both the files you recommended, it seems odd that a file that needs to be specific would have a name that no way relates to it's purpose like TWRP_MS0lte to me makes no sense. Hence I never used it, likewise the UNOFFFICIAL_TWRP... makes me think it's been hacked somehow, so again I avoided it.

I'll try once more time and see what this attempt brings. I have all the files now and should be good to go. At the very worst I brick the thing and that's the end of it, I am using a spare device exactly like the one I use every day. This saves me using mine as a Guinea Pig :D

Many thanks and I will be sure and let you know how this turns out. Now if I could only figure out why my Linux Mint loses audio when I put the machine to sleep/standby!

Again thanks, its most appreciated that people make other's problems theirs for a time. :):):)

Cheers,

25544 Norad

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Rukbat,

Thanks for all the useful information and the links and the DIY page on XDA. I have seen both the files you recommended, it seems odd that a file that needs to be specific would have a name that no way relates to it's purpose like TWRP_MS0lte to me makes no sense. Hence I never used it, likewise the UNOFFFICIAL_TWRP... makes me think it's been hacked somehow, so again I avoided it.

I'll try once more time and see what this attempt brings. I have all the files now and should be good to go. At the very worst I brick the thing and that's the end of it, I am using a spare device exactly like the one I use every day. This saves me using mine as a Guinea Pig :D

Many thanks and I will be sure and let you know how this turns out. Now if I could only figure out why my Linux Mint loses audio when I put the machine to sleep/standby!

Again thanks, its most appreciated that people make other's problems theirs for a time. :):):)

Cheers,

25544 Norad

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Rukbat,

Sorry to say that using the TWRP file we believe to be correct yielded nothing. I cannot access TWRP by any means I know. I either get the standard Android screen and apps with the message RECOVERY IS NOT SEANDROID ENFORCING Set Warratny Bit recovery. Or I can get to the Odin screen. I have installed TWRP twice today with the same results. At one time this phone was rooted with Kingroot... could that be the source of my misery? Of course its not rooted now with that method but maybe it's causing me the trouble. Don't forget that I did flash the stock ROM so maybe any KR leftovers are gone in that process?

Thank you,

Last edited: