First Impressions

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
After a few hours of using this, its definitely bigger in the hands then the N8. But it very well could be the case I'm using too. Also a big heaver as well. Tomorrow will be the true test of battery life. And I just wished they would have included action memo of old. I really miss that. Hopefully someone will will try to come up with a way to use it on the N9.

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I had all the notes from Note 1 to the infamous Note 7 (had two of those) and then I switch to Apple -- the 7 and now the X. Thought I'd stay with Apple forever, but the Note called me back.

Just got it yesterday -- and it's quite the transition -- still have a lot of catching up to do -- but so far so good.

Now I have an iPhone X I'm not sure what to do with -- trying to separate business from personal but that seems like a lot of confusion -- so I guess selling it is in my future.

But I feel like I need a Note for Dummies guide to remind me of all things Android -- and to remember what to do with a Home Button.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
I had all the notes from Note 1 to the infamous Note 7 (had two of those) and then I switch to Apple -- the 7 and now the X. Thought I'd stay with Apple forever, but the Note called me back.

Just got it yesterday -- and it's quite the transition -- still have a lot of catching up to do -- but so far so good.

Now I have an iPhone X I'm not sure what to do with -- trying to separate business from personal but that seems like a lot of confusion -- so I guess selling it is in my future.

But I feel like I need a Note for Dummies guide to remind me of all things Android -- and to remember what to do with a Home Button.
I picked up my wife's X today after using the Note all day and it felt tiny lol

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I say, hi bixby i'm going to a movie and she turns my screen brightness to 1% and shuts my ringer off. "leaving work" she texts my wife that I'm on my way home. So many great things! I just laugh when ppl say bixby is worthless because I know they haven't given her a shot.

I’ve been saying this since the beginning. Amazing how many people think they know what Bixby can do but actually do not. I love google assistant as well. And together both complement each other very well.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Nah, not really to be completely honest. I came over from iPhone X. Was just over it. Hadn't really been paying attention to the Note scene so I just grabbed an S9+ and then when I got home and jumped on these forums again I found out the Note 9 event was happening like, the next day or so I think.

Meh, think what you want about me. Wasn't trying to get special treatment at all. I originally asked a rep if there was an exception that could be made so I could do the exchange and originally they said it wasn't an issue. Got a little complicated but in the end it worked out.

Shrugs...

That's fine. Not judging. Just wondering about the details a little. It doesn't appear you were kicking and screaming and berating the rep as it appeared from your original post.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
That's fine. Not judging. Just wondering about the details a little. It doesn't appear you were kicking and screaming and berating the rep as it appeared from your original post.
Well, I had to force there hand a little after the fact because they wanted to play the "bad information" card after the fact. The whole point of my preordering was on the condition they would allow an exchange. It took a 2 hour chat to get it all done but eventually they made it work.

sd13

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I am receiving my phone today and I was wondering what would be the best way to restore from my S9 Plus but I also want to restore my pictures and videos from both s9 and my iPhone. I do use google photos to backup everything, but I want to have all my pictures in my galllery app on my new note 9.

OmegaSparks

Aug 17, 2018
Visit site
Yeah I actually think having both provides a good balance because they do different things. I love how Google now always tells me about my morning commute. It has saved me hours in traffic on big accident days.

Hey, is there a way to set that up? I have been wanting to do the same thing.

Link995

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I received mine on Wednesday 8/22. AT&T 512 Blue:

I have 2 phones, the X and the N8. I use one for work and one for play. I really love the note 9, to me it is everything I was wanting in the note 8. I like the heft of it. I set it up as new just cause I am OCD like that. LOL

To me, it feels much smoother and faster. I love the new messages app and I like the little tweaks here and there in the settings.

The speakers seem louder to me and better than my 8. The calls seem more crips on the 9. I am really happy I got this. I purchased the 8 unlocked about 6 months ago on Overstock and didn't realize it was an international version. Not a big deal, it worked great. Just did not have access to Samsung Pay and Visual VM. I will be selling that one now along with the Samsung case.

I purchased a Spigen case (Neo Hybrid - Blue and Silver) for my 9 which looks great on it, but it seems slim to me so I am awaiting the pre-order of the UB Pro white which should arrive in about a week. I like thicker cases, I enjoy the heft in my hand. The color of the 9 is nice but to me, no issues because I always use a case so you never really see it.

I didn't really use Bixby on my 8 but decided to give it a whirl on my 9. With Google Assistant, I have to say I am happy with this 1 - 2 punch. I am going to explore it further.

I did't really see any lag in the Samsung launcher but I really like Nova so I have been using that. The S -Pen works great and seems the same to me except for the new features. I am not a fan of the gold top of the S-Pen, wish it was silver. I hate gold. LOL

To wrap it up I am glad I got this phone. I wasn't going to do it at first because my 8 is like brand new, but I couldn't resist. I am glad I did. If you are on the fence, I would go to a retailer and play with the display first to see if you notice the difference from your current phone and also see if the new features make you happy and fit your needs.

IMissMyPsion

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your impressions.

Please can anyone help me from their early experiences? I've two issues with my existing 2017 watch, and hoping that the Note 9 will fix them...

Has anyone used it with Android Auto - does it work fully?

Has anyone paired it with a Garmin Watch (specifically the Vivoactive 3 for golf and running)

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Still trying to figure out why why why would they make the default stylus this garrish yellow color? Why not make it match the color of the phone?

scy121

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I am very satisfied, I also have an S9+ so I haven't decided which I will keep. I normally get black or silver phones. not sure I care for the blue very much

scy121

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I am receiving my phone today and I was wondering what would be the best way to restore from my S9 Plus but I also want to restore my pictures and videos from both s9 and my iPhone. I do use google photos to backup everything, but I want to have all my pictures in my galllery app on my new note 9.

Do you backup to the Samsung Cloud? That's what I restored from, fairly smooth

finsmaniac02

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So I have had the Note 9 (coming from the Note 8) for a few days now.

I must say, I am very happy.
As someone else said, its not as exciting getting this "new phone" as others because of how similar it is... but o well.

A few things that people haven't been saying that I want to point out.

At first, I was a little upset about the bigger side bezels than the Note 8. It is honestly noticable. I think maybe these are the biggest side bezels on a curved Sammy since maybe the original Note 4 Edge? Like I said, this bugged me for a while.
However, I have grown to appreciate it. Functionally, the phone almost seems like a "non-curved" phone now. I feel like I have a little more room to grip without "screening it". Also while writing with the pen, I feel like I don't have to write on the edge of it anymore (I was annoyed with that on the Note 8).

Next thing, the charging. It is still the same quickcharge 2.0 or whatever, which is dissapointing. However, some review pointed out that the wattage was higher while charging then in the past. And this was wired and wireless. I didn't know if I would notice, BUT I have: While in the car, I can stream music and run GPS (screen on whole time, on Google Maps) and - it is still charging! My Note 8 would not still charge under this load (wirelessly). It would either stay steady or slowely drop.

Also a small new thing (which I wonder if I can finally ditch tasker!?) is "Turn on Wi-Fi Automatically". Maybe this has been there, but its the first time I have seen it. I already got a "we noticed you connect to **** often, so do you want us to turn Wi-Fi on when you are nearby?". This could be very awesome. I used to use Tasker to do just that kinda thing.

To the bad:
The finger print and facial/iris recognition still isn't up to what I wish it was. I THINK maybe it will be better once I get used to exactly where the fingerprint scanner is. But, it just doesn't seem as magic as apple's face ID still (I HATE when I have to admit that apple has done something better).

Performance and battery seem pretty awesome so far.

I just wanted to point out a few things that I don't see mentioned much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
confteam