From now on, Nexus phones will come with the bloatware

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Isn't this bloatware?

A lot of it is, yes - especially if there is a functioning app (which meets all the basic requirements) that is provided by the OEM. Redundant apps make me sad. We don't need 3 texting apps, 1 is good. However, in the basic conversation of bloatware, typically we're talking about things added by the OEM or carrier (especially the carrier) because of their agreements with third parties or to promote their own services. Examples of this are Facebook, DirecTV, Verizon Navigator, etc. These are things that generally add no functionality for which the OEM is generally being paid some sort of revenue to install.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
If you mean by "bloatware", apps pre-installed by the manufacturer or carrier that the user does not want or use, but that cannot be uninstalled, then the Nexus 6P already has lots of bloatware - Google bloatware! I have numerous Google apps on my phone that I did not ask for and do not use, but cannot uninstall. They are not part of the basic functioning of the OS. They are simply user apps from Google that cannot be uninstalled. In fact there are more of these than there were from Samsung and Sprint on my previous phone. These include: Android Pay, Chrome, Drive, Google Play Games, Google Play Music, Hangouts, Photos, Sheets, Slides, TalkBack, etc.

Isn't this bloatware?

Other than Play Music and Photos, which I use, I agree with you. But in the grand scheme of things, other OEM's still have far more useless bloatware, especially when you factor in the carrier branded crap. That's the advantage of having a phone made just for Google. Also, to be fair, things like Sheets, Slides, Keep, and G+ can be uninstalled by the user. Once that's taken care of, you have even less to deal with on a Nexus, as opposed to others. Having said that, I do wish Play Games and Play Books could be uninstalled, as opposed to just disabled.

Posted via the Android Central App

tokuzumi

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Nexus phones are designed to push Google services. Whereas Samsung might say Trip Advisor or Amazon is a system app, and you can't uninstall it. Or maybe you will get Candy Crush as a system app. Your only recourse is to disable the app. Are there apps on my Nexus 5 that I haven't even clicked once? Yes. Is it bloatware? I don't believe so. And if I really wanted a leaned out version of Android, I'd root, and flash the rom of my choice.

ctt1wbw

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Just to point out.

The build of Android on your Nexus isn't necessarily full-on AOSP. It's Google's own take on Android. Notice how you don't see the AOSP camera app or the AOSP browser.

And extra features don't necessarily mean bloatware. What do I mean by that? Features like dual-window and other stuff in Android N. The one thing I noticed in Nexus devices is that they tend to be kinda bare in terms of features. So adding more features with a meaningful impact or even for customization is a good thing in my books, as long as they don't go overboard.

What does "Google's own take on Android" mean when Google created Android?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
What does "Google's own take on Android" mean when Google created Android?

First, not to nitpick, but Google didn't created Android. A few individuals, most notably Andy Rubin, created Android. Google acquired the company and made it their own.

Second, there is AOSP (Android Open Source Project) and then there is what we know as "stock Android". Stock Android is AOSP with Google's services added, including the Playstore. While AOSP is open source, Google's services including the Playstore are not. AOSP doesn't have Gmail, Google Maps, the Playstore, etc, etc. So while we may call it "Google's own take on Android" what they mean is AOSP + Google Services.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Nexus is a fork of AOSP.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
A common misconception I see is that people think Google created Android.

Well, they own Android, but they didn't create it. Like what vzwuser76 said above, it's created by a small group of individuals, notably Andy Rubin, in a company called "Android Inc.". Google was one of their backers, before buying over the company in 2005.

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Well if Google apps are considered bloat (play music, the dialer, etc), then I love google bloat.

Carrier bloat is another matter.

AOSP is always an option...nothing to get worked up over here.

epic_user

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
One man's bloat is another man's indispensable feature.

I have to disagree. What makes it bloatware is that it is a user app (not a feature of the operating system or an indispensable OS app) that is pre-loaded on the phone or loaded without the user having requested it that cannot be uninstalled by the user. That is bloatware.

And this is why Google has become the new Microsoft. This isn't just a carrier adding a few apps to its phones - this is the OS company taking unfair advantage of its unique position (within the Android marketplace) to push its own apps over those of its competitors. When Microsoft did this sort of thing with Windows, they were cited for anti-trust violations - the same standards ought to be applied to Google on Android.

Last edited:

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
And this is why Google has become the new Microsoft.
To the extent that Google apps are more or less baked into the UX these days, yeah, I'll give you that. But if Google is following a similar hidden-agenda, at least their chicanery has been yielding visible performance gains, especially over the last couple of years. Granted, that's not a defense that Google's lawyers would want to trot into a court of law with, but it's enough to keep me from thinking of all the Google apps on my phone (even the ones I don't use) as "bloatware." It also makes me think that the mobile playingfield is the major difference between Microsoft and Google on this point.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I have to disagree. What makes it bloatware is that it is a user app (not a feature of the operating system or an indispensable OS app) that is pre-loaded on the phone or loaded without the user having requested it that cannot be uninstalled by the user. That is bloatware.

And this is why Google has become the new Microsoft. This isn't just a carrier adding a few apps to its phones - this is the OS company taking unfair advantage of its unique position (within the Android marketplace) to push its own apps over those of its competitors. When Microsoft did this sort of thing with Windows, they were cited for anti-trust violations - the same standards ought to be applied to Google on Android.

On the Nexus device, of COURSE Google is going to pre-install all of its apps, no problem there.

Other manufacturers are free to use AOSP and build their own "fork" of Android (look at what OnePlus did), they just can't get the Google Play Store and the benefit of the apps distributed through it. To get that, they need to follow Google's guidelines to ensure compatibility and include Google's underlying framework in the build. To use GOOGLE'S version of Android, yes they will need to include the Google apps as they are part of it. Those apps are easy to disable and you are not required, in any way, to use those apps for those functions.

Apple pre-installs mail, music, photo apps on THEIR devices, where are the anti-trust claims there? Same deal, THEIR branding on the OS (as with Google's version of Android rather than AOSP), THEY determine the pre-installed apps.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

There is something huge you are missing though. If a manufacture wanted to they could simply compile AOSP and not use Google services at all. Where they are being caught is that to preload the Google Play store the OEM has to be part of the Open Handset Alliance and be certified by Google. And to do all that you have to preload a list of Apps that are part of the Google play services. All of the Google Play Services go together. It is completely optional if it is to be installed. You could root your phone and load AOSP and amazon app store and have nothing to do with any Google Services.

Barry Weston

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
A pinch is too much credit.

Even a grain...

Basically here's the interpretation I like best.

Pure Android is not the Android you get on a Nexus device. Pure Android is what you find on github.

What you get on a a Nexus phone is Googles view of Android. Their launcher, their apps, etc, etc. So going forward, Android from Google (Nexus, Ara, and what ever else they cook up) will have a possible different view than what a current Nexus device has, which is, like I said, not stock Android, but Google's view of Android.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
However, I don't see it being "bloat" to the extent that Samsung, LG and HTC (to name a few) are known for. For example, on my WiFi-only Samsung tablet (so, no carrier involvement) I have disabled the following -

• Businessweek+
  • Twitter
  • TripAdvisor
  • Peel Smart Remote
  • NYTimes
  • Flipboard
  • Evernote
  • Dropbox

THAT is "bloatware" and not something I see happening on the Nexus devices.

Larry Beberdick

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
That's ok with me. better than Samsung and Version bloatware. by the way, Android 6.01 is great. just got it on my Note 4. batter life is about doubled. What i would really like to see in the next Nexus is a note competitor, with a stylus. that way we don't have to wait for months or years after an android release to get the latest improvements.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So going forward, Android from Google (Nexus, Ara, and what ever else they cook up) will have a possible different view than what a current Nexus device has, which is, like I said, not stock Android, but Google's view of Android.

I think those comments were only to reinforce that Google will be careful to only add in features that they consider useful and bring value to the consumer... which is what they've been doing all along. You have to Split apps and features here though, as I think Sundar is not referring to what apps they bundle with either the Google Play Services requirement or what they add on for the Nexus line. He's talking about system level features... stuff like Doze, or the upcoming Daydream stuff. Most all of these features end up getting incorporated into the main Android source branch, available to everyone.

Google isn't very stingy with features. There are a VERY few select features that are only available on a Nexus phone.... just about the only one in the system feature that I am aware of is Ambient Display... and I think that is only because the feature requires some licensing from Qualcomm to use the low power processor modes. If this feature didn't need anything like that, I am quite certain it would be available for all phones.

Now you can debate whether or not the Google apps that Google includes as bloat... but most of them are damn good apps, and the services backing them are unparalleled... What would you rather have? Google Now and Google Maps? Or Samsung S-Voice and Verizon's VZ Navigator? But as far as OS features, Google treads quite lightly... avoiding the heavy handed operating system bolt ons that we often see in OEM phones.

John Lafitte

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Isn't this just vendor partition? They are encouraging all manufacturers to put there stuff here rather than baking it into OS image. I wouldn't expect Nexus devices to be any different. It's a stock experience but still has hardware and in the past carrier specific stuff in there.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Then it wouldn't be a Nexus phone by definition. discussion over lol.

Actually, no. There has never been a Nexus device that didn't include the Android Market/Playstore or other Google Services. AOSP is a starting point, pure and simple. It is the open source version that anyone can take and do whatever they want to it. That's what you see these lawsuits against Google about having access to the Playstore. Those companies want AOSP WITH the Playstore, so they can fork AOSP to their hearts content AND still have access to the Playstore. However, Google doesn't allow you to have access to the Playstore unless you also include their other core services (Gmail, maps, etc) and you also agree to limitations on how much you can modify their version of Android.

Basically, what most people think of as stock Android is Google's Android, which includes the Playstore and their services, and is the version seen on Nexus devices.

AOSP however probably hasn't been seen by most Android users, unless they're planning to start their own fork of Android. AOSP is like stock Android but without any trace of Google or it's services, and no Playstore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrussellcampbell