G3 Battery Life experience. Whats yours?

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: 2 concerns radio strength and battery life

I don't have the phone yet but signal strength is always hard to judge. Its always going to be dependent on where you live and your carriers service in that area. Comparing bars on different phones isn't really that reliable since theres no standard for phone manufacturers and carriers when they report bars in the software. If I remember correctly several years ago apple had a problem with customers complaining about reception quality and bars so their solution was to do a software update that made the bars appear higher than the previous factory setting.

When we are asking signal strength questions,we are asking to compare to other phones used. For example,I hover around 100 on my g2 at home. If I brought m8 home and was at 90,voila we have significant improvement

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

When we are asking signal strength questions,we are asking to compare to other phones used. For example,I hover around 100 on my g2 at home. If I brought m8 home and was at 90,voila we have significant improvement

Just wondering there you're pulling the 80 and 90 numbers from. If you're judging by bars in the notification area then its a bit off since the number of bars reported is dependent upon the settings they programmed the phone with to report signal strength at the factory. Four bars on one phone may actually be the same as three bars on another in actual signal strength. Are you looking in the Status menu that reports dBm? Believe me when I say this is a subject matter that will quickly go over my head, I just know that signal bars at the top of the screen often lie.

Last edited:

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site

Just wondering there you're pulling the 80 and 90 numbers from. If you're judging by bars in the notification area then its a bit off since the number of bars reported is dependent upon the settings they programmed the phone with to report signal strength at the factory. Four bars on one phone may actually be the same as three bars on another in actual signal strength. Are you looking in the Status menu that reports dBm? Believe me when I say this is a subject matter that will quickly go over my head, I just know that signal bars at the top of the screen often lie.

It's way more detailed than that. Enjoy.

http://www.tested.com/tech/android/557-how-to-measure-cell-signal-strength-on-android-phones/

brewzer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

I'm going to have to go back to the AT&T store and compare the dBm of the G3 to my S3. If it's anywhere close I'll be getting the G3. If it isn't I'll get the S5 active. My S3 is on its last leg so I can't wait to upgrade any longer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

See my other thread on signal strength. I had problems with the G3 being significantly lower (approx 10dBm) in signal than a nexus 5 in the UK. Not sure if I just had faulty handsets or if the LG just isn't that good

Posted via Android Central App

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

See my other thread on signal strength. I had problems with the G3 being significantly lower (approx 10dBm) in signal than a nexus 5 in the UK. Not sure if I just had faulty handsets or if the LG just isn't that good

Everyone I've known to have an LG device has had signal issues. Those devices weren't smartphones though but rather basic phones and a couple Chocolates. Either way, constant dropped calls and weaker signal caused every single one of them to ditch LG. No other phone manufacture has failed them at all and this includes Motorola, Nokia, Samsung and HTC.

Again, these issues could have been resolved since then but it's scared me away from giving LG a chance. The G3 does look like a monster of a phone though!

anticlutch

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site

Everyone I've known to have an LG device has had signal issues. Those devices weren't smartphones though but rather basic phones and a couple Chocolates. Either way, constant dropped calls and weaker signal caused every single one of them to ditch LG. No other phone manufacture has failed them at all and this includes Motorola, Nokia, Samsung and HTC.

Again, these issues could have been resolved since then but it's scared me away from giving LG a chance. The G3 does look like a monster of a phone though!

The Chocolates were built rather cheaply (or at least felt that way) and I've never seen anyone treat their Chocolate nicely so perhaps that may have played a role? My LG Dare, Chocolate touch, and G2 were all excellent with reception. My G2 usually seems to outperform my HTC One M7 as it'll hold on to a 4G signal with Verizon at my work whereas the M7 will constantly switch back and forth from 4G to 3G. At home (or anywhere with a stronger signal), the two phones will be within 4-7dBm of each other, with the M7 slightly behind the G2 in terms of reception. My Samsung Note 2 had slightly better reception than the G2, so... take that for what it's worth I guess.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

The Chocolates were built rather cheaply (or at least felt that way) and I've never seen anyone treat their Chocolate nicely so perhaps that may have played a role? My LG Dare, Chocolate touch, and G2 were all excellent with reception. My G2 usually seems to outperform my HTC One M7 as it'll hold on to a 4G signal with Verizon at my work whereas the M7 will constantly switch back and forth from 4G to 3G. At home (or anywhere with a stronger signal), the two phones will be within 4-7dBm of each other, with the M7 slightly behind the G2 in terms of reception. My Samsung Note 2 had slightly better reception than the G2, so... take that for what it's worth I guess.

My sister had a Chocolate and took good care of it. Not that it matters because things change and LG could have improved upon the radios in those many years. I hope someone chimes in with real world comparisons of the G3 vs other devices such as the S5/Note 3/HTC One M8 so we can get some side by side results.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

koppee1

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Ok after two days both consistent results.

With 5% battery remaining:
Screen time = 3h 50m
Total usage or on time = 10h 30m
Android OS wake = 8h

50% Auto brightness, sync on, push on, knock code on, network auto, using circle case and wireless charging. Power saver off.

I restarted the phone after fully charged. No high consuming apps in battery stats. Screen then Android OS are biggest consumers.

Im gonna try making a few changes today. Is this close to what others here are getting?

Im going

This is about what I'm getting as well. Although weirdly, wave is my number one culprit. As in its off...location is off...but it says GPS use is 8 hrs

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I am nearly always near a charger, so battery life isn't a huge concern to me. Everyones usage is going to differ. I will be receiving mine tonight and I will put it through the paces as well and report back how my experience has been.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

conan1071

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok after two days both consistent results.

With 5% battery remaining:
Screen time = 3h 50m
Total usage or on time = 10h 30m
Android OS wake = 8h

50% Auto brightness, sync on, push on, knock code on, network auto, using circle case and wireless charging. Power saver off.

I restarted the phone after fully charged. No high consuming apps in battery stats. Screen then Android OS are biggest consumers.

Im gonna try making a few changes today. Is this close to what others here are getting?

Im going

So your phone was fully charged and then only off the charger for 10h 30m and after that had only 5% battery left with only using 3h 50m screen time???

donhr

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes. Battery 100% at 8AM. By 6.30PM 5% remaining and 3hours 50min screen time usage. Its pretty consistent. I am now trying turning power saver on for the next few days.

Are these stats off? What do urs look like?

donhr

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Signal is between 4 to 5 bars. Occasionally 3 bars. It switches between 4g and 3g or H. But my m8 got great batt life before. So u mean u guys are getting much better battery life than this?

It seems when on stanby it hardly drains any batt. It is during screen use that drains it fast. How much screen time are you getting?

brewzer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

I've seen you post multiple times about your signal strength issue. It's what lead to my initial concern but I have also read where other people have no signal strength issues. Whose right and whose wrong? You're probably both right but we don't know if it is a build quality issue with the radios or if it is an environmental or network issue. I am definitely going to keep my eye on this and until there is more info I will hold off on my G3 purchase.

brewzer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Signal is between 4 to 5 bars. Occasionally 3 bars. It switches between 4g and 3g or H. But my m8 got great batt life before. So u mean u guys are getting much better battery life than this?

It seems when on stanby it hardly drains any batt. It is during screen use that drains it fast. How much screen time are you getting?

You shouldn't be measuring signal strength by the bars on your phone, that is totally flawed and far from accurate. You can easily look up your signal strength on any Android phone and it is measured in dBm.

If you want to check out just where you are at in raw numbers, you can check the status screen in Android's menu. Just pull up the menu, scroll down and select About Phone, then select Status. On this screen you will be able to see your signal displayed in dBm as well as ASU. ASU is just a representation of the rate at which the phone is able to update its location by connecting to the towers near it. It basically measures the same thing as dBm, but on a more linear scale. You can convert ASU to dBm with this formula: dBm= -113+(2*ASU).

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards