Galaxy s3 screen failure

Mr Griz

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Greetings all

About 2 weeks ago, I purchased a brand new Galaxy s3 from Cricket. I have not rooted, or installed anything that was not on the play store. A few days ago, I was finally able to sit around somewhere with wifi long enough to upgrade to jellybean and get the fancy "new" multi-window feature... yay!

Very soon after, my display started to fail. I will be looking at whatever random function I need my phone for.. web, messaging, wasting time on facebook/whatever and my screen will flicker into a rainbow of colors in stripes horizontally across the screen, and those colors will dwindle in thickness until I am left with just a black screen. I can hear the phone reacting to my touches when I touch the screen, in fact I've gotten good at finishing what I was doing while the screen is black. If I leave it in this state for any length of time, the colors will randomly re-appear and dwindle, or sometimes the entire screen will come back on but it will be a purple screen with wavy black lines across it. If I press the power button to turn off the display, then wait a few seconds, and hit the home button, it will pop up my security screen like I had just "woken up" the phone from sitting in its holster. Everything will be fine, and the phone will have registered and completed the functions of whatever I happened to touch on the screen while it was black. And then right as I start doing something else (usually searching these forums for a similar problem/solution) it will start all over. Sometimes I can get an hour or so out of my phone before this starts, sometimes it's right as I turn it on.

I have done the factory reset. I have booted into the menu and cleared the cache partition. I have run multiple antivirus programs, from "safe mode" even though I was 99% sure it would be a waste of time. I have treated this phone like GOLD. I haven't dropped it, beaten on it, yelled at it, or bumped it into anything. If I sold this phone to a second-hand store they would try to tell you it was brand-new and the box had never been opened.... oh wait they already do that. It was never rooted, and no suspicious apps have been installed.. everything came from the play store. All I did was tap "yes" when it asked if it could please update now. No developer options were ever turned on at any point, and I disabled every single "auto-brightness" or "smart-view" feature.

I have lurked and searched and googled until I was blue in the fingers, but I haven't been able to find anyone with a similar issue, much less a fix. This is the last stop before the gas cans hit the cricket store. Any ideas?

*EDIT* Model number is SCH-R530C if that makes any difference.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sams_s22plus