Galaxy S3 - Slowing/freezing when I start and send a text?

Brianna Maneely

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-I747 model.

Usually, I'm pretty good with tech stuff. But for the life of me, I can't figure this one out.

My phone kind of, um, freezes or drastically slows down when I go to start typing out a text. It then lets me type again, without any issues. Sadly, after I go to send it, it delays, yet again. I can't back out of my messages, nothing, for about 10-15 seconds.

It just started last night. I hadn't done anything to it. No downloads, no websites, nothing. I've been using my ASUS Android tablet more than my phone lately, and this happens to me. -_-
But I've restarted it multiple times, reset RAM, went through downloads, etc. Nothing seems to work.

Help? ):

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-I747 model.

Usually, I'm pretty good with tech stuff. But for the life of me, I can't figure this one out.

My phone kind of, um, freezes or drastically slows down when I go to start typing out a text. It then lets me type again, without any issues. Sadly, after I go to send it, it delays, yet again. I can't back out of my messages, nothing, for about 10-15 seconds.

It just started last night. I hadn't done anything to it. No downloads, no websites, nothing. I've been using my ASUS Android tablet more than my phone lately, and this happens to me. -_-
But I've restarted it multiple times, reset RAM, went through downloads, etc. Nothing seems to work.

Help? ):
Welcome to the forums!

Sorry to here about this issue, I know it's frustrating. Have you cleared the cache of the messaging app? You can do this through system settings > applications > messaging app

Let us know if you have better results.

LEMONGRAB

Banned
Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem with day one. I could type a 20 word message and while finishing word 20 it would be typing wprd 7-10 on the screen. Or be on word ten and a random letter from word 3-5 would still be depressed while I'm typing. I disabled continuous input and charachter preview underlanguage and input for samsung keyboard, one is in advanced option under samsung keyboard. I also turned off the google voice typing. It help a hell of a lot.

Posted via Android Central App

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I just had this problem a few weeks ago. I had WWAAYYYYY TOO many text messages saved/stored. You need to free it up because its locking it up. Start erasing old text messages that you don't need. Once you do that, go into settings within your messaging app and make sure you have 'Delete old messages' clicked and 'Text Message limit' set to 200 (or less if you choose). You should be good to go afterwards! Good luck! :)

Brianna Maneely

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

Sorry to here about this issue, I know it's frustrating. Have you cleared the cache of the messaging app? You can do this through system settings > applications > messaging app

Let us know if you have better results.

Cleared out my messages and it's working much better now, thank you all. :3

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Grace,
Just to be certain, your problem is that the stock Messaging app will be completely empty at some point, and only by restarting the phone does it correct itself?
- how long has this been going on?
- did you install any other messaging apps or social networking apps recently?
- have you tried any of the previous suggestions (clearing the app cache; limiting the number of messages in a thread; booting in Recovery mode and clearing the system cache; etc.)?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4