Galaxy S4 HELP!!!! Deleted pictures, must retrieve

PeteZa_Guy

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I have an unrooted, pretty much brand spanking new Galaxy s4. I bought the phone on Friday and then took about 50+ videos and pictures. 2 days later I went into my gallery and all the pictures and videos where gone. I still have an instagram, screenshot, picasa, google+ folders, but my camera roll only has one picture(of one that I took to make sure it still worked).

I restarted my phone, turned it off, took the battery off. Went into the menu for the gallery, and everything is checked for content to display (on device, picasa, etc). Checked "my files" app under camera and no luck. There is no way I deleted these pictures intentionally, but if there is ANY way to retrieve them, please send help!

I trued using Dr. Fone, Wondershare, and various other Photo recovery apps for both PC and MAC, but it seems that the USB mode most be one, and the only way I have found to do that is to root the phone, and apparently with the new software update, it's not possible to root the phone after the update

If anybody has any ideas, please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Galaxy s4 HELP!!!! Deleted pictures, must retrieve

To retrieve them I have no clue :/ that's odd they deleted by themselves. However I know when I take pics it automatically uploads them to Dropbox. So if you have Dropbox try checking there.

iFebby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site

Try connecting it to your computer (windows based if possible). Go to your phone folder via my computer and check for the photos under the DCIM folder.

If they are not there... you might be out of luck unless you are willing to follow an intensive guide to pull your whole internal partition.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

Did you register the phone with Samsung? I do t know if the Samsung backup keeps them or not.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

PeteZa_Guy

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

The pictures & videos that I had are worth any effort. Is there a link for the guide?

iFebby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site

There is this guide here on the link below:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1994705

It'll be slightly different for your device when it comes to the partition block for internal. Ask on the s4 forums to see if you can figure it out. :)

Also you'll need to root your device.

Best of luck! :)

PeteZa_Guy

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

I heard that you can't root an s4 after the recent software update. And would the pictures be retrievable after the phone is reset & rooted?

iFebby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site

I heard that you can't root an s4 after the recent software update. And would the pictures be retrievable after the phone is reset & rooted?

If you're on the most recent update then you are done for sadly I think. if you aren't on the most recent update you only need to root, not perform a phone reset. :)

TheAvgJoe

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

I have 2 suggestions. First, for whatever reason, my S4 stores my photos in the external mem card under dcim. Try looking there. Second, if you use wondershare, you'll see 2 unfamiliar drives under My Computer on your pc with your phone tethered. Click on both of them and do the recovery steps with each. I made the mistake of only looking on one drive and thought all was lost until my buddy told me to click on the other drive (internal and external storage are 2 separate drive letters). Hope that helps.

Posted via Android Central App

PeteZa_Guy

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

would it be possible to do recover the pictures on after a factory reset? I was thinking if i did that, I could root the phone before downloading the current software update and then recover the files after when USB storage is available. Any ideas?

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

Factory reset wipes the phone memory. So that guarantees them being gone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

TheAvgJoe

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

Another thing you might try is downloading FX file explorer from the Playstore. The search option seems to be more complete on FX than the stock file explorer. Click on main storage and type a search for jpg and png then mov, mp4 and 3gp. Do the same search on the external sd card (not subfolders). Your phone may have defaulted them to another folder. My main storage folder DCIM (upper case) was empty of pics while my sd card dcim folder (lower case) had the photos stored.

SuperCK

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

Where in google+ would the photos be? I dont use gmail as much.

TheAvgJoe

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

I haven't got the slightest clue. I've never used it. All I know is that now every week or so I dock my phone with my pc and manually copy anything important over to a desktop folder.

PeteZa_Guy

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

I was able to recover one picture, due to the fact that I took pictures days after the old ones were deleted which wrote over the previous ones. But, after rooting my phone I downloaded DiskDigger, found the folder that had the largest space and did a search and was able to recover a picture. The video files where gone. But after accidentally pictures I think this would be the best bet

TheAvgJoe

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

Try one last thing my brother suggested. Get an external sd card adapter (Amazon.com about 6 bucks). Insert the mini sd card and hook it to a USB socket on your pc and go to your pc's disk defrag utility. Locate the letter of the drive for the adapter and defrag it. You may recover some pics that way. If the pics were in the phone's main memory, this may or may not work by defragging the phone itself as a drive letter. Also, type your dilemma into the regular Google search bar and go through all the links that seem plausible. You never know.

bigern1121

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site

Pete,
I have the same problem here, was your phone already updated? My phone is updated and I wasn't sure if doing the factory reset would allow me to root my phone. Any advice is appreciated.

Seusss

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

You might have disabled the app. Go to settings, click on More, then Security, then Device Administrators, click on Gallery to activate the app. Hope this helps.

Yasmeen Asi

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site

D: i deleted my the photo file off my galaxy s4 and all my pictures are GONE!!! is there any hope getting them back ??