Get this crap off my phone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I feel your pain, Verizon is particularly egregious at bloat. Gotta monetize every last cent out of the customer.
It's good to know that the MotoX is less bloated, it's at the top of my next phone list right now.
Or maybe a MotoG, prepaid on T-Mobile...?

Sent from the (4.2 updated) redheaded stepchild of the Nexii

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I feel your pain, Verizon is particularly egregious at bloat. Gotta monetize every last cent out of the customer.
It's good to know that the MotoX is less bloated, it's at the top of my next phone list right now.
Or maybe a MotoG, prepaid on T-Mobile...?

Sent from the (4.2 updated) redheaded stepchild of the Nexii

I am thinking of getting a Moto G, but the 5 megapixel camera now really what puts me off. Maybe I'll get a Nexus 5 if my f****** parents will let me... 1750+ on my SAT's... Screw that.

Sent from my HTC Xperia S4

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Apple won't let carriers install bloatware, to their credit: True cost of Apple control: no carrier bloatware on iPhone | iMore

The genie's out of the bottle now, though, as Apple _has_ added bloatware for the NTT Docomo (japanese carrier) version. As far as I know, they haven't added bloatware to the other Japanese carriers' versions, while Docomo steadfastly refused to carry the iPhone until they could add some apps "to enhance users experience" (the typical party line)

https://twitter.com/Adamukun/status/404182466484641794/photo/1

But they can all be uninstalled.

EDIT/correction: reading more into it, it's the shop staff who installs this after opening the package, the software isn't pre-installed as it is on Android phones.

Last edited:

jlh73

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I just got an HTC One yesterday after having an iPhone for many years. Over the past several years, however, I've dabbled with Android and there are many many things I really like about it. But there's one thing I can't get over - all this carrier bloat and other crap on it. How do I get rid of it? For instance, this Caller ID "trial" that I was enrolled in. Or all the Verizon apps that I don't even want on my device (I know that I can hide them from the app drawer but I don't want them there AT ALL). Can I get stock android on this thing? I know that 4.4 isn't available for the Verizon One yet but I'll even take 4.3 or whatever. TIA.

Actually the HTC one has way less bloatware than most phones.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

whoahbro

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I can't say that, up to this point, I appreciate or see any benefit to this whole "open source" thing.

The only noticeable things I have experienced are hordes of counterfeit or spam ridden apps- fake BBM apps, GTA apps, etc... These are things I never experienced prior.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
As far as subsidizing the phone, my iPhone costs the same price but didn't have all of this (don't even get me started on the additional cost for visual voice mail on Android!)
Assuming it's an iPhone 5 your iPhone also had less storage and a smaller screen with similar processing power.

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I can't say that, up to this point, I appreciate or see any benefit to this whole "open source" thing.

The only noticeable things I have experienced are hordes of counterfeit or spam ridden apps- fake BBM apps, GTA apps, etc... These are things I never experienced prior.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

These have nothing to do with open source though, and more with the kind of ecosystem built around Android by Google, the manufacturers, and the carriers...

Sent from my LGL21 using Tapatalk

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
That's not accurate at all.
Well, no iPhone with 32GB internal memory has ever sold as cheap as a HTC One, no iPhone has ever had a screen the size of an HTC one and if the processing power is any greater than an iPhone 5 (which has similar processing power as an HTC One), then you're talking about an iPhone 5S, which is more expensive than an HTC One. I suppose you could be talking about an iPhone 5C, but even then it's $200 for the 32GB version and the 32GB HTC One is, at most $150 and can many times be found for $50 (that's how much it costs at Best Buy right now). So what's inaccurate?

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, no iPhone with 32GB internal memory has ever sold as cheap as a HTC One, no iPhone has ever had a screen the size of an HTC one and if the processing power is any greater than an iPhone 5 (which has similar processing power as an HTC One), then you're talking about an iPhone 5S, which is more expensive than an HTC One. I suppose you could be talking about an iPhone 5C, but even then it's $200 for the 32GB version and the 32GB HTC One is, at most $150 and can many times be found for $50 (that's how much it costs at Best Buy right now). So what's inaccurate?

The One can be found on Amazon for as low as $19. I wouldn't trade my One for anything else :)

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

It's not accurate because I have the 64 gig iPhone 5. I never mentioned cost and performance has more to do with how fast can I get things done and the iPhone has no bottlenecks in this regard.

But that's not the point. Android phones are lousy with crap. It's sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.