Gmail or inbox?

elfuego

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I use Inbox on mobile (quicker to assess and make quick actions) and Gmail in browser. It's where I feel each one shines. But if things get complicated (search, and other situations) I need to go back to gmail.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
There ya go. I do like the fact that the two are compatible though.... i.e. GMail's filters and labels, etc all function the same in Inbox. For the simple things I set up the filters in Inbox but for more tricky stuff I go in and admin them in GMail. So there's no fuss switching from the gmail web page on my laptop to the Inbox app.

Agreed. Two front end tools that basically do the same thing, and all the rules are interchangeable. The rest boils down to personal preference.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Two front end tools that basically do the same thing, and all the rules are interchangeable. The rest boils down to personal preference.
Yes absolutely, for me again, I like inbox interface, the organization and filtering if email. And it does seem quicker to do most email actions.

dullgeek

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Inbox for me. I am so smitten by how inbox works that I now passionately hate how I don't have those features on my work email.

Here are my reasons:

1. automatic bundling for things like trips, promos, finance, etc
  2. most email, including gmail, has 3 dispositions for email: unread, read & deleted. inbox adds two more. The first being "done". Meaning it's not deleted, but it's also no longer seen
  3. second new disposition: snoozed. Email is not seen but will wake up again and be seen at some future point when you can act on it.
  4. ability to create custom bundles, although I look forward to when the filtering language automatically adding new email to custom bundles is more complete.

Overall inbox allows me to much more effectively make emails into todo list items. If my inbox is empty, my tasks are basically done. In gmail and all other email clients, I have to go through a lot more hoops to make this work. In inbox it's already built.

I love it and can't go back.

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I use MyMail app for handling several accounts, including Gmail. But if you ask me to chose between Google's stock Gmail app and Inbox it will definitely be the first one. Inbox is complete rubbish, you can't do anything with this app (or if you can, it is superbly convoluted).

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Inbox. It was weird to me at first, but now I love the categories and auto sorting. I don't see how I could go back to another email client now.

Sent via the Communications Center of the Takari

yohannrjm

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I wanted to like Inbox, but the fact that it is Gmail only was very limiting. Until it can accommodate more email services, it will not work for me.

As a concept, I found it intriguing though. I just never used it consistently enough to really explore all its capabilities because it was not able to handle all my email accounts.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
"Inbox" is a function - anyone can name an email client "inbox". GMail is a particular app and anyone but Google using the name is probably going to be asked to take it down.

That said, I don't use either. Thunderbird (on my desktop) for real email work until someone rewrites POPFile for phones), Email on my phone for an app that's almost usable and K9 (on the phone) if I want more functions than I'll ever use.

GMail? Not after it started redownloading deleted emails. (And "inbox" depends on the phone you're using - my "inbox" may be completely different from your "inbox".)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treyrday86