Good-bye Nexus 5!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Good-bye Nexus!!

Maybe you can stick with T-Mobile, but use a different phone that might have better signal. Maybe a Motorola.

Carrier has more of an effect on signal than the phone's radios do, but yeah, if he gets 1-2 bars he might be able to get 3-4 with a Moto phone

Posted via Android Central App

glc650

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

It should be noted that Google Voice integration with Hangouts is coming "early this year," and that should bring an added level of practicality to the service. Support for MMS is also increasing, although it's not quite practical without universal support.

I've worked in multiple hospitals, and currently work in a highly-shielded medical facility. I know your frustration. I run with Google Voice and an SIP client (currently GrooVe IP), and have simply accepted the lack of support for MMS.

As said by Nikhyl Singhal:
The Google Voice integration into Hangouts...does that include Google Voice SMS as well or is it just voice integration?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

The Google Voice integration into Hangouts...does that include Google Voice SMS as well or is it just voice integration?

When it arrives, it should support both voice and messaging services through Voice.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

It should be noted that Google Voice integration with Hangouts is coming "early this year," and that should bring an added level of practicality to the service. Support for MMS is also increasing, although it's not quite practical without universal support.

I've worked in multiple hospitals, and currently work in a highly-shielded medical facility. I know your frustration. I run with Google Voice and an SIP client (currently GrooVe IP), and have simply accepted the lack of support for MMS.

As said by Nikhyl Singhal:

I have tired Hangouts for SMS/MMS and I like it except for one thing ... Any suggestions for quick reply with it? I rely on quick reply a lot (the kind with ChompSMS, Textra, or Handcent). If I could use Quick Reply with Hangouts I would be set :).

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

One benefit for T-Mobile customers means wifi calling is added into the ROM so we can use wifi for data (like everyone else) .. But also calls and texts using our T-Mobile service since it just uses the wifi as the "cell tower" to T-Mobile's backhaul.
Yeah... Well... T-Mobile's going to have to figure out A Way to add WiFi calling to non-TMO-branded devices, and RSN, or that influx of new customers they're seeing is going to come to a screeching halt and, eventually, reverse itself. I love TMO, but they're marginal in my house. Only thing that's saving them is WiFi calling. But that greatly limits my device choice. In fact: There's not a single current new device TMO's offering, that has WiFi calling, that interests me.

No use going back to Sprint. Their coverage is worse, for me.

VZW? Too expensive and I'm fed up with locked CDMA devices.

"at&t?" Hate 'em. Hate 'em with all my heart and soul, but I think I can put an unlocked GSM device on their network, so...

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah... Well... T-Mobile's going to have to figure out A Way to add WiFi calling to non-TMO-branded devices, and RSN, or that influx of new customers they're seeing is going to come to a screeching halt and, eventually, reverse itself. I love TMO, but they're marginal in my house. Only thing that's saving them is WiFi calling. But that greatly limits my device choice. In fact: There's not a single current new device TMO's offering, that has WiFi calling, that interests me.

No use going back to Sprint. Their coverage is worse, for me.

VZW? Too expensive and I'm fed up with locked CDMA devices.

"at&t?" Hate 'em. Hate 'em with all my heart and soul, but I think I can put an unlocked GSM device on their network, so...

Putting WiFi calling is the carrier's priority. If the phone isn't branded by them it means that they are not working with the OEM to get it on the phones. How are they supposed to get WiFi calling on the phones when they don't even sell them? If it was as easy a software tweak, AT&T and VZW would already have it...
And people aren't transferring to T-Mo for the WiFi calling, that has no effect on the recent "flux" of customers from other carriers. That comes from their "UnCarrier" changes

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Wow I didn't expect this response. Yeah the wifi in my hospital is top notch. My wife loves to send me funny pictures at work. So if T-Mobile's wifi texting doesn't support MMS then I'll probably keep the Nexus, buy a Mophie juice pack, and just use Chomp or something.

Sent from my T-Mobile Nexus 5

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

OP I don't know if your carrier has LTE but that also might be a factor because HSPA+ has better building penetration so you could try turning off LTE at work

I'll give that a shot. I have LTE once I walk outside. But once I get about 20-30 ft. in I just lose all bars. It's sad.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

Yup, it would be a win-win :D
If he did have to go with the G2 though, he could flash a GPE ROM and get what is basically an N5 on steroids :p

That sounds awesome. GPE or CM or AOKP. One of those. I'm quite partial to AOKP. That's what I rocked when I had my GNex (R.I.P.)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

That sounds awesome. GPE or CM or AOKP. One of those. I'm quite partial to AOKP. That's what I rocked when I had my GNex (R.I.P.)

As you can tell by my avatar, I'm very partial to Slim Bean. It's by far the best ROM I have tried. Makes CM look like a cheap version of Slim lol
Battery life is great, and performance is a lot more smooth than with CM. Haven't had any bugs either

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Putting WiFi calling is the carrier's priority. If the phone isn't branded by them it means that they are not working with the OEM to get it on the phones. How are they supposed to get WiFi calling on the phones when they don't even sell them? If it was as easy a software tweak, AT&T and VZW would already have it...
And people aren't transferring to T-Mo for the WiFi calling, that has no effect on the recent "flux" of customers from other carriers. That comes from their "UnCarrier" changes

Yeah my main reason for switching was their "UnCarrier" ways. Huge price savings over Verizon. Plus I get unlimited data. Just seemed like a win win situation. And I knew about the wifi calling/texting with T-Mo. Just didn't think I would need it since I was able to get Verizon LTE service in my building.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

As you can tell by my avatar, I'm very partial to Slim Bean. It's by far the best ROM I have tried. Makes CM look like a cheap version of Slim lol
Battery life is great, and performance is a lot more smooth than with CM. Haven't had any bugs either

Cool well first thing I'm doing when I get my G2 is rooting it, so I'll give Slim Bean a shot. I'm sure I'll like it. I haven't really found a ROM I didn't like. Just different features that I prefer.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Cool well first thing I'm doing when I get my G2 is rooting it, so I'll give Slim Bean a shot. I'm sure I'll like it. I haven't really found a ROM I didn't like. Just different features that I prefer.

Thought you were keeping the N5 :eek:
If you want Kit Kat, Slim Kat is in beta, but it has performed well in my limited time with it. Didn't even feel like it was still beta :D

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Putting WiFi calling is the carrier's priority.
I'm guessing what you really meant was "prerogative?"

If the phone isn't branded by them it means that they are not working with the OEM to get it on the phones.
So far: Yes.

How are they supposed to get WiFi calling on the phones when they don't even sell them?
Not being an Android developer, myself, I'm not certain. But, being an experienced software developer, myself, all I can say is "It's just software." If they wanted to work with Google and OEMs to Find A Way, I'm confident they could do so. Some sort of "authenticated carrier plug-in" to the OS, I'm thinking.

If it was as easy a software tweak, AT&T and VZW would already have it...
Except VZW and "at&t" don't really need it quite so badly as does TMO, do they? Besides: There's more to it than the device side. There's also the "WiFi as cell tower" side of it, too. TMO invested in that infrastructure as an inexpensive way to mitigate against their sorely lacking footprint. VZW and "at&t" have not.

You don't think connectivity problems or being unable to use their chosen device(s) might not affect customers' decision to stay or leave? I know it would affect mine. In fact: It was Sprint's declining network performance that provided the impetus for me to move my wife and I over. Now, here we are, on T-Mobile, and I'm liking them.

But the phones we're using are apparently stuck at 4.0.3 (ICS), with neither the OEM nor TMO showing any inclination for future updates (never mind they broke hands free calling on the last update, promised to fix it, and have not); many of the areas in which I want/need to use a wireless phone have marginal-to-non-existent coverage, and many of the most interesting (to me, anyway) new devices aren't supported by TMO.

So what do you suppose might happen, some day, if I reach a point where, "uncarrier," as wonderful as I feel it is, must give way to the importance of actually being able to use an up-to-date device on their network?

T-Mobile is aware this problem exists. They have acknowledged they get regular requests to address it. All I'm saying is they need to get off the dime on it, or it will, eventually, bite them.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

Had a N4 when KK launched and noticed the t-mobile signal loss. At time i was considering a N5 but went moto x. signals great now...

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm guessing what you really meant was "prerogative?"

So far: Yes.

Not being an Android developer, myself, I'm not certain. But, being an experienced software developer, myself, all I can say is "It's just software." If they wanted to work with Google and OEMs to Find A Way, I'm confident they could do so. Some sort of "authenticated carrier plug-in" to the OS, I'm thinking.

Except VZW and "at&t" don't really need it quite so badly as does TMO, do they? Besides: There's more to it than the device side. There's also the "WiFi as cell tower" side of it, too. TMO invested in that infrastructure as an inexpensive way to mitigate against their sorely lacking footprint. VZW and "at&t" have not.

You don't think connectivity problems or being unable to use their chosen device(s) might not affect customers' decision to stay or leave? I know it would affect mine. In fact: It was Sprint's declining network performance that provided the impetus for me to move my wife and I over. Now, here we are, on T-Mobile, and I'm liking them.

But the phones we're using are apparently stuck at 4.0.3 (ICS), with neither the OEM nor TMO showing any inclination for future updates (never mind they broke hands free calling on the last update, promised to fix it, and have not); many of the areas in which I want/need to use a wireless phone have marginal-to-non-existent coverage, and many of the most interesting (to me, anyway) new devices aren't supported by TMO.

So what do you suppose might happen, some day, if I reach a point where, "uncarrier," as wonderful as I feel it is, must give way to the importance of actually being able to use an up-to-date device on their network?

T-Mobile is aware this problem exists. They have acknowledged they get regular requests to address it. All I'm saying is they need to get off the dime on it, or it will, eventually, bite them.

If you don't have good signal with T-Mobile, you probably shouldn't be switching in the first place. I guarantee that most of not all of the people switching to T-Mo know whether or not they have good signal where they live, and that they wouldn't switch if the coverage wasn't good

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

Had a N4 when KK launched and noticed the t-mobile signal loss. At time i was considering a N5 but went moto x. signals great now...

The signal is awesome for me when I'm outside. Just not when I get deep into where I work. It blows. I'm off to the T-Mobile store. I hope they have the G2 there. I should probably call before I go.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
If you don't have good signal with T-Mobile, you probably shouldn't be switching in the first place. I guarantee that most of not all of the people switching to T-Mo know whether or not they have good signal where they live, and that they wouldn't switch if the coverage wasn't good

No offence intended, UJ95x, seriously, but did you happen to note what the OP's OP was about?

As for us: There's something a bit odd going on with the towers in our neighbourhood. Upon a CSR's suggestion: I submitted a request to TMO to look at it, and never heard anything. In effect: Our handsets are often selecting a less optimal tower, then deciding it's too weak, giving up and going to WiFi. If there's no WiFi available: They just go out-of-service. This in an area that TMO's coverage map claims is "excellent." (The CSR agreed, and was mystified.) During the initial month I trialled TMO on a pre-pay signup, I did not experience this problem. Or, possibly, did, and failed to take note of it.

I even installed Network Signal Info on my handset to debug the situation. Oddly: T-Mobile's and NSI's idea of where the towers are located do not agree?

Besides: Your argument neglects the whole issue of travel. We knew TMO's footprint was suboptimal for travel. "No problem," we felt, "the handsets have WiFi calling, and that's good enough." Little did I realize (my fault) that WiFi calling meant we had to use T-Mobile branded devices.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
No offence intended, UJ95x, seriously, but did you happen to note what the OP's OP was about?

As for us: There's something a bit odd going on with the towers in our neighbourhood. Upon a CSR's suggestion: I submitted a request to TMO to look at it, and never heard anything. In effect: Our handsets are often selecting a less optimal tower, then deciding it's too weak, giving up and going to WiFi. If there's no WiFi available: They just go out-of-service. This in an area that TMO's coverage map claims is "excellent." (The CSR agreed, and was mystified.) During the initial month I trialled TMO on a pre-pay signup, I did not experience this problem. Or, possibly, did, and failed to take note of it.

I even installed Network Signal Info on my handset to debug the situation. Oddly: T-Mobile's and NSI's idea of where the towers are located do not agree?

Besides: Your argument neglects the whole issue of travel. We knew TMO's footprint was suboptimal for travel. "No problem," we felt, "the handsets have WiFi calling, and that's good enough." Little did I realize (my fault) that WiFi calling meant we had to use T-Mobile branded devices.

The only place he has an issue is at work. He says he has LTE as soon as he steps outside...

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe