376.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 1

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the Google Pixel 3 forum to the Alcatel forum for more appropriate traffic.

Keep in mind that you're using a phone with a much older Android version (Android 6, and we're all the way up to Android 12 now), so system settings options can be much different.

Can you explain in more detail what you're trying to do?

kav4962

Oct 20, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the steer and the welcome!

I’m just trying to enable GPS but I can’t switch out of ‘battery saving mode’ in the location settings to ‘high accuracy’

Thanks in advance.

Kav

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe the issue is that the Pixi 4 uses only A-GPS (assisted GPS), which gets GPS signal through mobile networks, not a GPS radio. Since there's no GPS radio on the phone, the system defaults to "Battery Saving Mode" since that uses mobile networks only.

https://www.gsmarena.com/alcatel_pixi_4_(5)-8157.php
https://www.r-tt.com/technology-articles/gps-vs-agps.html

Hope folks don't mind my asking a more wide open question regarding this A-gps versus GPS.

Is this a Pixel 4 issue or has Google removed a "regular" gps radio from other Pixel models? In other words, if I go to some locations in the US, where there is no cell service I want a phone that has REAL/REGULAR gps so that I can track my hikes or cross-country ski trips and where cell towers might not be present.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hope folks don't mind my asking a more wide open question regarding this A-gps versus GPS.

Is this a Pixel 4 issue or has Google removed a "regular" gps radio from other Pixel models? In other words, if I go to some locations in the US, where there is no cell service I want a phone that has REAL/REGULAR gps so that I can track my hikes or cross-country ski trips and where cell towers might not be present.
The phone being discussed is an Alcatel Pixi 4 not Pixel 4