Google maps randomly stops talking.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have been having trouble with Google maps not talking when I need it to. I drove somewhere today, it worked on the way there. On the way back, voice directions would not talk at all. This has been happening to me a lot, and usually I can get it to work by restarting the app a few times, but now that isn't working.

I tried closing the app, updating the app, turning the phone off and back on again, clearing the cache, adjusting volume, everything I could find recommended. It still won't talk, even though when I press the "play test sound" in navigation settings, that will work! I don't want to clear data or uninstall the app because I have a lot of things in there I need. Any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Pete 7

Apr 22, 2022
Visit site
I have the same problem with my Pixel 6 Pro, except it doesn't talk 95% of the time. I have done all the fixes you have tried. My Pixel 4XL had the same issues and I'm wondering if it carried over when I imported my settings etc to the Pixel 6? At this stage I want to toss the phone. I called Google help but they couldn't help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does your car have Android Auto, or are you just using Google Maps with the driving interface?

If you use Google Maps to navigate while walking, does the same thing happen?

Trogdorette

Apr 30, 2022
Visit site
Sorry, the phone is an S21+, although I also had this issue on my previous phone, an S9. Yes, I made sure the speaker was not muted in the app. As I said, I tried everything on every article that referenced maps not talking and nothing helped.

I don't use Google auto as I find it frustrating for many reasons. I have had this issue when walking and driving while using the app after starting the step by step directions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali