[Guide]Flashing recoveries through terminal emulator (very easy)

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Guide]Flashing recoveries through terminal emulator (very ea

well that's interesting, you did choose to flash for the optimus v? I dunno if the market rom manager had the optimus v option, I used a version from 4shared.
you should end up with one labelled as img, pretty sure it has thunderc in the name too.

Yes I flashed the recovery for the optimus v...and yes it was the latest market rom manager. What version are you using? Are you looking in the same directory? Because I definitely don't get any files like that in /sdcard/clockworkmod/download

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

it has to be there, you are not looking in the right folder.
good luck.

qt3dot14

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site

hello. im new with a few general questions.

from what i understand, "flashing a custom recovery" is basically adding an extended bios to your phone system (after root), which allows you to take advantage of previously forbidden permissions on an unrooted phone.

so now i have rooted my phone and want to "flash a custom recovery".

in the above #3 it says: "3. If you want to boot straight into recovery, type: reboot recovery"

so if i wanted to install a "custom recovery", and then i did, why would i not want to boot straight into recovery?

stated another way: if the "custom recovery" is just enhanced bios instructions (for lack of a better term), hence im not really "recovering" anything at this point by booting "straight to recovery", but simply activating this enhanced bios, why would i not want to boot straight to "recovery"? or is my low-level understanding of a "custom recovery" incorrect?

what would be my other options? at this point in the procedure i assume (as i am trying to figure out what i am doing BEFORE i dive into the phones subsystems, so im not actually at that screen yet) i am looking at some type of "command prompt" screen. if im not wanting to boot straight to recovery, and instead utilize a different option, what would those other options be and would that other option(s) be obvious while i am still looking at this "command prompt" screen, or would i need to know what to do before i get this far because my other options are not obviously available on the screen at this point?

no, its not new years until tomorrow and i havent started drinking yet!

this is my brain::) and this is my brain in "root mode"::eek:

any help is greatly appreciated!

Dnice808

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

TOTALLY could NOT get the recovery flash to work!!! Had to install Root Explorer and move the flash_image to /system/bin and set permissions to all read/all execute and only the top middle selection. But it got it to work afterwards! Thank you!!!

tobarger

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

What a mess trying to follow this thread.
And sadly sooo typical.
Its no mystery to me why so many threads, have the word "brick" in the title.

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

What a mess trying to follow this thread.
And sadly sooo typical.
Its no mystery to me why so many threads, have the word "brick" in the title.

Not sure what the problem is, ignore the thread, you don't need it.

It's a simple three step process that either works completely or does nothing at all. If this process bricks your device, it wasn't from these steps, it was from an incompatible recovery or flawed download.

Badboytoast

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

If you want to flash a new recovery I would strongly use FlashimageGui.apk just put the recovery.Img at the root of your SD card, then open flashimagegui.apk browse for your .Img. and select it, then select recovery image and wipe Chach and deliv. Then ok!! I would use vm670nh recovery.Img

Last edited:

Badboytoast

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
hello. im new with a few general questions.

from what i understand, "flashing a custom recovery" is basically adding an extended bios to your phone system (after root), which allows you to take advantage of previously forbidden permissions on an unrooted phone.

so now i have rooted my phone and want to "flash a custom recovery".

in the above #3 it says: "3. If you want to boot straight into recovery, type: reboot recovery"

so if i wanted to install a "custom recovery", and then i did, why would i not want to boot straight into recovery?

stated another way: if the "custom recovery" is just enhanced bios instructions (for lack of a better term), hence im not really "recovering" anything at this point by booting "straight to recovery", but simply activating this enhanced bios, why would i not want to boot straight to "recovery"? or is my low-level understanding of a "custom recovery" incorrect?

what would be my other options? at this point in the procedure i assume (as i am trying to figure out what i am doing BEFORE i dive into the phones subsystems, so im not actually at that screen yet) i am looking at some type of "command prompt" screen. if im not wanting to boot straight to recovery, and instead utilize a different option, what would those other options be and would that other option(s) be obvious while i am still looking at this "command prompt" screen, or would i need to know what to do before i get this far because my other options are not obviously available on the screen at this point?

no, its not new years until tomorrow and i havent started drinking yet!

this is my brain::) and this is my brain in "root mode"::eek:

any help is greatly appreciated!

Very easy my dear: friend
observing that your right, sounds to I that your quit capable of know more them you intended to show. And yes you would like to reboot into recovery afterwards backing up the stock rom, just incase later on you may incounter any problems leading from been able to do anything that you wish with root!!!
Hope this helpful to you!!!

kazmothe

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
$ su
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
mtd: read error at 0x00000000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00020000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00040000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00060000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00080000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x000a0000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x000c0000 (Out of memory)
#

kazmothe

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site

$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
$ su
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
mtd: read error at 0x00000000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00020000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00040000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00060000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00080000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x000a0000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x000c0000 (Out of memory)
#

what is wrong here?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Check if you have any space left on your phone, if not, clear some. Otherwise, reboot and try again.

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

hahahaha.....I tried this like three times until I reallized Recovery you have as the recommend is the one I already have. Was wounding why it looked the same.

Edit: Nevermind this is not the recovery that I have; for some reason CWM Recovery are buggy on my OV.

Last edited:

paulkruger

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

Question...to avoid a mistake.

I have several ".img" files so want to be sure I rename and use the correct file.

• recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.6-ov-20110220.img ( this is the one I flashed yesterday )
  • xionia_cema_12518.6.img

Also inside /cloclworkmod/backup are three dated folders each of which contain a file of the same name.

• .android_secure.img

I also made two backups prior to flashing away from stock ROM. All SD card content are also copied to PC as a backup.

Inside the install folder /CM7 I have the two zip files.

Backside-IHO-VM670-1122201.zip
gapps-gb-20110828.zip
and gingerbreak-v1-20.apk which I installed to root the phone.
An extra copy of "recovery-clockwork....img" is also stored in this folder.

If there is a better MOD than the one I found I am all ears !

Okay...now what? ;)

Last edited:

LaFlamme

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

I used terminal emulator to flash bobzhome as prescribed above. Seemed to go fine (my first time with emulator, you know.) I typed in to reboot to recovery write away and it did so without any problems. However, recovery identified itself as cwm-based recovery v4.0.1.5. Is that what I just flashed? Seems like the one I had in place all along. I'm using the Harmonia 2.03 (happily) by the way.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

That is what it should say, however there is the IHO version and Bobzhome IHO version. While the same, the latter is the only one that supports newer screens.

If that is what you flashed and you are getting into recovery, then you are in good shape.

LaFlamme

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

Oh, good. You were right -- it couldn't have been any easier. Great guide, to state the obvious. Thanks again.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

I have a rooted new screen OV. I read that VM670NH_recovery.img is a preferred recovery. I flashed recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-ov.img. I've been reading and reading and must have determined the one I flashed is the one I needed in prep for installing CM7.2RC0-VM670-BobZHome-013012.
Should I install the VM670NH_recovery.img before attempting the rom flash? What is the difference between the two?
Thanks for any help.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

Well the vm670 one is the only one that shows up on the newer phones. That's basically the only difference, you don't need to flash it, IF the one you currently have is working. Just power down and boot into recovery by holding down volume down, back and power until the lg logo pops up and disappears. If nothing shows up then you will have to flash the other recovery. If it doesn't show up don't panic, just pull the battery and reboot normally.

Reactions: rhea

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

Thanks, anthonycr. I have the 2.2.2 with hitachi screen. The image I flashed does show up in recovery (I have the backup/restore option). I was just concerned that it might not run the rom flash properly. I've worked on the Pandigital novel and have a rooted/alt-rom'd Toshiba Thrive, but this is my first Android phone. Also, I've learned that every device is different--even the same device with different firmware such as the Optimus V 2.2.1 and 2.2.2. I don't want to screw it up, but I'm trying to get a bluetooth keyboard to connect so want to try a gingerbread rom with HID support.
This [https://sites.google.com/site/bobzhomeroms/vm670] is where I got the recovery. I notice is says vm670( I know, that's the phone) in the web address but gives the recovery-clockwork... title that I actually flashed. I think I'd better contact BobZHome. I also notice an update to the rom as of 3/3/12.
Thanks for your response. I really appreciate it.

EDIT: FWIW, I flashed the newer recovery then flashed the bobzhome rom+gapps. All seems to be working well, especially the Rii bluetooth keyboard that I was trying to connect with.

Last edited:

lindend

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site

Don't have the cp or flash_image binaries and mv won't move the flash_image binary across file systems. Tried a file manager app to move the file but it doesn't have permission to move to /system/bin. Any ideas how I can get cp on my phone so I can flash the recovery?

Edit: was able to use ES File Explorer to move the file over.

Very odd that mv was present but not cp. Has anyone else run into this before?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d