[GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD/Palm Touchstone-No soldering on phone!!

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
You can use trickster to do it also. Or you can flash a CM based ROM like CNA (my favorite) or JellyBro. They have the option for fastcharge built in and it works.

DJeremyC

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Downloaded Franco Kernel Updater from the PlayStore, enabled Fast USB Mode and ASAP as it enabled the phone quit charging period on the touchstone. As soon as I disabled the fast mode, it began charging at USB rate again...hmm...any ideas?

UPDATE: I installed Trickster as mentioned in a post above...this fast charge mod seems to do the trick. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

RhinoShock

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I just did the mod and i'm actually still having trouble getting it to stay charging in AC mode with any app that does the fast charge mod. I've used the franco.updater app, trickster, and the built in version of fast charge from CNA because thats the rom I run. If i leave it in USB it works fine to charge, however right when I turn the AC fast charge on, it just stops charging. Earlier I was able to put it on there while it was in the fast charge mode, then it would recognize it for a split second then shut off charging, and kind of bounce back and forth, but right now it just refuses to charge in AC mode. Great guide by the way, really easy to follow. Any suggestions on what else to try to get it to run properly in AC mode??

Thanks!!!

my95z34

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Yah, thought about that too...unfortunately both my Lowes and Home Depot don't carry it...SUCKS!

But thanks for the help...currently looking around town to see if I can snag some somewhere, was hoping to do the MOD this weekend so heres to either finding copper tape, using aluminum foil, or 26-30AWG wire (think that should be thin enough yet hold the current needed).

I got some aluminum ducting tape from Home Depot since nobody local had copper tape. Everything works great, no issues. I looked up the conductivity of aluminum and it's just as good, if not better, than copper. But it's banned for use in wires in the US because it's oxide is not conductive, and actually applies a resistance which could start a fire in a home. Copper's oxide IS conductive, so it's good to go.

Either way, your aluminum should be fine.

kisho

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have any idea how I can get this to work on the Galaxy Note 1. I don't want to risk opening it up and end up with a useless phone. Or direct me to where I can find it, have tried searching the forums and the web but no luck. Thanks anyways.

ninjai117

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody know if this will work with a GSM GNex and stock battery door?

If I get an extended battery door, will my GNex still fit in my OEM GNex car dock?

Runningwarrior08

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes, and yes(With a dremel and a steady hand using copper tape not wire)

Extended battery cover is what I have with mine, as for the car dock I couldn't say I don't use one. I use my touchstone. If you do that make sure you get the Palm car charger, only one that works.

I have had mine modded pretty much since the day this thread came out. Still works great

antovolk

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
New here, been lurking around while looking for info regarding all this. Planning to do this to my GSM GNex soon, hope it works!

Quick question, some people were talking a lot about which chargers work/don't, which battery covers and so on. If I have the Pre Touchstone cover + dock, an extended battery door, and use my UK Samsung charger which came with the phone, would I be fine, or should I still order the Palm charger?

Thanks in advance for all your efforts, really appreciated!

Runningwarrior08

May 23, 2010
Visit site
New here, been lurking around while looking for info regarding all this. Planning to do this to my GSM GNex soon, hope it works!

Quick question, some people were talking a lot about which chargers work/don't, which battery covers and so on. If I have the Pre Touchstone cover + dock, an extended battery door, and use my UK Samsung charger which came with the phone, would I be fine, or should I still order the Palm charger?

Thanks in advance for all your efforts, really appreciated!
No that charger does not give out enough amperage. You will need the palm one.

goldentuna

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Actually I was trying to hide the upside down palm logo with sandable primer and black paint but got impatient with the multiple sprays.
I don't think I'll plastidip any surfaces nor will I add any additional magnets. (I don't have either)
If I do find some magnets to put on, I'll make sure to follow your tips. Thanks for starting this thread!

Hi.. can you tell me what/where you got your 'case' for your GNex in the pictures you posted on the Touchstron Car mount topic:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-accessories/147840-guide-galaxy-nexus-mod-palm-touchstone-no-soldering-phone-15.html#post1654724

I have one similar, but your's looks a little nicer.

Thanks

dwhend

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this and all the helpful links. I used this last night to mod my CDMA Galaxy Nexus. It's charging like a boss on the touchstone now. I had never soldered anything before, so that was the most daunting part. It was also nerve racking to wedge the plastic away from the glass, but I managed it. Great guide!!

spcecil

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
For anybody interested, I just completed this mod, and it works great; for those who would like to use a case, you can use the cases at www.cruzerlite.com; the phone will still charge through the case! I didn't think that it would but I was pleasantly surprised :)

VZW Gnex with extended battery :cool:

just79

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if anyone still reads this thread but I would appreciate some help.

I pulled the coil off a Pixi case and the OEM Touchstone Charging dock. When I place the coil up against the Touchstone I can hear it buzzing (continuously). However when I check the pins I only get about 0.3V. I'm not sure if I damaged the coil when I pulled it off or if I have a defective Touchstone. I'm using the stock charger that came with the bundle. It has the silver piece with the coil that others noted earlier.

Any suggestions? Anyway to verify if it's the coil or the charger that's the problem? I'm going to try ordering a Pre case/coil I guess.

Tobias Nijssen

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Runningwarrior08
Yes, and yes(With a dremel and a steady hand using copper tape not wire)

Extended battery cover is what I have with mine, as for the car dock I couldn't say I don't use one. I use my touchstone. If you do that make sure you get the Palm car charger, only one that works.

I have had mine modded pretty much since the day this thread came out. Still works great

What do you mean by dremel? What has to be dremeled?

orthonovum

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I just completed this last night without any issues, and it was charging on the touchstone, now this morning i get nothing, it will charge via the usb plug but wont charge on the touchstone anymore.. nothing has changed except the phone charged overnight via usb so the battery is full but shouldn't it still go to charging mode on the touchstone? nothing happens at all :(

nothing is shorted and it was just sitting on a table all night!

wyseguy77

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I just completed this last night without any issues, and it was charging on the touchstone, now this morning i get nothing, it will charge via the usb plug but wont charge on the touchstone anymore.. nothing has changed except the phone charged overnight via usb so the battery is full but shouldn't it still go to charging mode on the touchstone? nothing happens at all :(

nothing is shorted and it was just sitting on a table all night!

Any update? I have all my supplies and am ready to give it a go.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2