[Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

jcprunty

May 5, 2010
Visit site
So I've done everything now, ran Revolutionary, flashed super user, and I'm almost 100% sure my device is not rooted...
After a reboot it looked exactly the same and had all of the same files and data...
when you reboot your phone and you hold down the power and volume button does it say revolutionary at the top and the second line says supersonic evt2-3 s-off? if it does then you are rooted

zackawee27

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
i keep putting the superuser file on the sd card and i reboot and then go to bootloader and then it says search failed no image or something which means i dont have the root, and was i supposed to unzip the superuser file then put it on my sd card? because i didnt.

jcprunty

May 5, 2010
Visit site
i keep putting the superuser file on the sd card and i reboot and then go to bootloader and then it says search failed no image or something which means i dont have the root, and was i supposed to unzip the superuser file then put it on my sd card? because i didnt.
no you dont unzip it...once you put it on your sd card then you have to boot into recovery and chose to install the file from sd card and find the zip to install it

peabodyx

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Im going to bed, i'll try back at this again after i get off work. I'm still sitting with the same problem, once i run revolutionary it says waiting for device. Im in charge only mode, usb debugging is on. I've tried the drivers listed in the guide, ive tried installing/uninstalling htc synch, ive tried installing pda.net and letting it run through the drivers is uses, and i still cant get past "waiting for device" if anyone has any idea what im doing wrong, please send me a direct message or something. i cant figure this out for the life of me

jcprunty

May 5, 2010
Visit site
see, its in the right place? i dont know why it wont work.?
turn your phone off

hold down the power and volume keys, it will come up into hboot and be on fastboot with 3 androids on skateboards at the bottom

push the volume key down and recovery should be highlighted, press the power button
(should see htc screen and them revolutionary screen)

go to install zip from sd card- press power

choose zip from sdcard-press power

arrow up twice and you should be on su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed-press power button

it should run its script and then give you the option to reboot system now-push power button

that should do it

Last edited:

jmorgan3475

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Should I apply the clockworkmod to 2.3?
It says I should do that for ROMs but I seem to remember reading somewhere that was just for 2.2 and I don't wanna do something stupid now after I'm already rooted!

zackawee27

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
when i click recovery it goes to "HTC EVO 4G" than it goes to this arrow green facing down with circles around it than it turns into a red triangle with an explemation point in it.?

Tonay

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem as zacky59 but my s-off so i would like someone to help me on this..

I will try RA or CW

TomSawyerX

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi igotsanevo4g ,

I have a question for you, where do I need to download the Super User file and how do I run it. When I go to the recovery menu I see a 10 different options.

Thanks

likeurfac3

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I am still having problems with the beta key. I copied and pasted it into word/wordpad and then pasted it into the command prompt, but it still says "invalid beta key". I installed the HTCdrivers and did all steps that I needed to prior to this. Please help.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi igotsanevo4g ,

I have a question for you, where do I need to download the Super User file and how do I run it. When I go to the recovery menu I see a 10 different options.

Thanks

I know I'm not the man you were asking but just put it on the sd card. No special folder or anything. When in recovery do this.

Install from sd card -> choose zip from sd card -> select superuser. When it finishes installing reboot.

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
so how long does it actually take for the "Zerging Root... this might take a minute or so.." process finish? It has been like that forever now... :(

ETA: geez, not only did I have to disable HTC Sync, but I also had to unistall it and reboot my PC. All seems well now though...

Last edited:

dswatson83

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I am still a beginner to rooting but I have rooted my EVO with 2.2. What would be the best way to get my EVO to 2.3.3 or 2.3.4 if possible. I'm a little uncomfortable with flashing new roms but this may be my only choice.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I am still a beginner to rooting but I have rooted my EVO with 2.2. What would be the best way to get my EVO to 2.3.3 or 2.3.4 if possible. I'm a little uncomfortable with flashing new roms but this may be my only choice.

Flashing a rom would be the easiest way.

Here is the stock rooted 2.3.3 [ROM][STOCK] 4.24.651.1 - Odexed & De-Odexed - xda-developers

In your recovery make a nandroid (backup), wipe data, cache and dalvik cache. Now select install zip from sd card -> choose zip from sd card -> your rom. If you want to have a walk through click on the link in my signature. It's my vid and it is straight through. No edits so you have an idea how long it should take.

dlphntat

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
[NOTE]This is a relatively simple process, being as I don't have a Evo 4G any longer things may be off a little bit because i cant test, so please feel free to correct anything that is wrong.[/NOTE]

Lets just jump right in!

[INFO]I'll have helpful links at the bottom for after youre done rooting[/INFO]

[WARN]DISCLAIMER: Myself nor revolutionary is responsible for what you do to you device, it is at your own risk.[/WARN]

1: Download and install HTC drivers HTC drivers

2: Download the rooting tool/program revolutionary Revolutionary, downloads are at the bottom of the page. You will need to enter in your Evo's serial number (under the battery) and be sure to save the beta key. You'll need it later.

3: Enable USB debugging (settings>applications>development>turn on USB debugging) and connect the evo to your PC as charge only

4: Un-zip the S-OFF tool and run the program, making sure to install the custom recovery when prompted. (unless you already know what you're doing and want to put Amon_Ra or TWRP recovery on there)

5: Download SuperUser and boot into recovery. To enter recovery: power off completely, yes battery pull while off too be sure, then hold volume down+power and from there go to recovery and confirm.

6: install superuser from recovery

YOU ARE NOW ROOTED.

7: (optional but highly recommended) Make a nandroid backup via recovery and then put it on the PC just to be sure nothing will happen too it.
Amazing! I've been holding off on rooting, but now it looks like I may not have to.
Planning on giving this a try as soon as I get home!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana