Hairline crack?!

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Ok, took my S4 apart. The AMOLED is glued unto the chassis. This could cause serious issues with internal cracks due to flexing.
The chassis is thin enough to be flexed considerably when opposite corners have pressure applied to them (something which can happen in tight jeans). It doesn't seem to flex as easily when flexing from opposite ends versus corners.

Still, flexing the S4 I took apart didn't produce damage. Im guessing since these are hand assembled the tolerances can vary and may determine whether or not the device is inflicted with the issue.
Could possibly be factory issue, only way to know however is to gather reports and their time frames between out of box and issue.

AUHHZUMA

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Here are 4 Samsung Galaxy S4s with the same exact issue and with the same exact crack.
The "crack" on all phones are starting right below the front facing camera.
Is this a coincident? I don't think so.
PLEASE POST IMAGES OF YOUR S4!!

Dirk Lane

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
My S4 has very similiar problem. Went to answer a text and my phone screen was black except for the top 1 inch or so. There is a hairline crack across the AMOLED screen. My phone was in my front pocket and in a case at the time. I have no idea what caused the crack, seems it just happened on its own.

AUHHZUMA

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
It's going to cost me $200 to have mine fixed.
My phone was sent to the Plano TX facility.

Standard Repair Fee $0.00 $65.00
LCD Repair Fee $0.00 $119.75
PBA Price $0.00 $0.00
Sub Total $0.00 $0.00
Tax $0.00 $15.25
Total Cost $0.00 $200.00

It's convenient that the cost comes out to be exactly $200. o_O

*09/28/2013//10:27:54//-------------//Telephone//ASC*
PHONE IS OOW BY CONDITION, LCD IS DAMAGED. NEEDS PAYMENT
*09/28/2013//10:27:54//-------------//Telephone//ASC*
9/28/2013 9:27 AM-Eddy ----------: Ticket is pending status. Pending Reason: Add Standard Charge + LCD Charge
*09/26/2013//12:43:27//-------------//Telephone//ASC*
9/26/2013 11:42 AM-Eliud ------------: The unit has been received. Pack Condition: Fair Packaging (Box & Cushion)
*09/23/2013//22:05:03//STAFL1089//Telephone//Customer*
1) Inquiry: Cx called in to get the E-lable

2) Steps Taken: Resent the elable ( corrected the email address)

3) Resourc
es used:

4) Additional comments:

5) Outcome:

AUHHZUMA

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
As some may or may not know, I sent my S4 to the Samsung Plano TX facility to have the AMOLED defect fixed. The Samsung ASC Service Repair Statement
said under the Repair Summary...."Symptom: PARTICLES BETWEEN LENS AND LCD." How did particles get between the lens and lcd?
They were going to charge me $200 to have it fixed but, eventually sent the phone back to me for no-payment.
This is what it looked like when I got it back. Guess Samsung decided to play rugby with it. :mad:
IMG_1902.jpg

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
As some may or may not know, I sent my S4 to the Samsung Plano TX facility to have the AMOLED defect fixed. The Samsung ASC Service Repair Statement
said under the Repair Summary...."Symptom: PARTICLES BETWEEN LENS AND LCD." How did particles get between the lens and lcd?
They were going to charge me $200 to have it fixed but, eventually sent the phone back to me for no-payment.
This is what it looked like when I got it back. Guess Samsung decided to play rugby with it. :mad:
View attachment 85579

Well geez this makes me nervous. Plus why didn't they fix it, thats stupid.

At least you are documenting this like crazy.

humanreflect

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
That happen to me... But i had to pay to get it fixed cause my warranty is in europe and im in south america. The lcd screen is really fragile...

This should be part of the warranty, i guess you'll have to presure them

Amina Begum

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Red hairline crack !

Same thing happened to mine. I haven't dropped it at all. It's in protected case and had screen film on it . can't upload picture to show

skuddles

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
This exact thing happened to me. my s4 was only 10 days old and I woke up during the night to answer a text message, when my phone was just black and not letting me see anything, although the little notification light was flashing, taunting me and letting me know that I had messages I couldn't respond to. Initially I thought it was a software/hardware error, but after closer inspection I found some small little cracks under the glass that can only be seen when the phone is tilted a certain way. I had to think back if I had dropped it or knocked it but couldn't think of a specific time when this happened. It has also been in a silicone case since I got it. Initially the cracks had been small at only one side of the screen, and now several days later after NO use, it is right across. Thankfully it is insured and will be getting a new one through insurance, but this shouldn't have happened in the first place.
20131222_195111-1.jpg

ALSO! the phone still works although the screen is black. My alarm went off at 6am the next morning and I couldnt turn it off except to take the case off, take the back off, and take the battery out!! which is hard work when you're sleepy.

So bottom line.. if you have one of these phones... get it insured!!! And find a way of disabling your alarm by using the power key or something =P

Mohamed Ibrahim11

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
The exact same thing happened to me. My phone was on the charger all night and woke up in the morning and noticed a crack on the upper left side but the glass is completely intact. (See picture) I took it to a samsung retail and they told me they saw several phones with the same problem and they would replace it. Unfortunately im in egypt and the warranty is in saudi arabia. Im sending it there to have it fixed. Hopefully they say the same in saudi arabia. I aslo read that samsung india replaces this defect.

http://s29.postimg.org/our4dfjxz/20131222_224028.jpg

chalikir

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I had a similar issue , I came to work , checked my messages frequently after noon I am about to go for lunch and tried to check my message , I see a black screen , nothing happening except fine lines on the top left corner of the screen. I dont see any crack on the screen. then took it to verizon to see if they can help , then I found a crack internally . They said would not cover and asked me to contact Samsung.

Contacted Samsung . sent me ups label to send the phone for review , they said its a physcial damage and warranty would not cover , they said the qoute is 165$ . I know that its not a mishandling on my part , I felt its obvious that its a manufacturing defect . Unfortunately Samsung support would not agree for it . Some how the support gave me 20% discount and costed me 130$ after.

Now , I am like , even if I pay this time , I am afraid that it will happen again and I will end up paying again . The suport took 2 weeks already and will take another week, which is really pain.

Hope they find their defect and try to fix it in later versions . may be a HTC phone or Apple iphone might be a better choice of phones .

Emerald_isle

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
After installing a software update on my Galaxy S5, I begain having problems with the touch screen. I had to continually
tap the screen to get the keyboard to surface. Eventually, the screen began to flash a myriad of colors and then went
black. I did not drop it, bang it or spill anything on it, it just snapped at the heavy touching in order to get the keyboard
to work.

kmcla67

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
I have a Samsung 6 edge, in a protective case with a protective shield and saw one afternoon that the top corner had what looked like a piece of hair about 1/2 in or less but it was a crack, now they won't take my phone in on trade at Verizon and they want $200 or more to fix it and I owe less than that on the phone. It works fine and you can barely see it. I have insurance on phone and it still costs that much for replacement. I'm due for a new phone but I have to pay this one off to get another because they won't trade it. After seeing all this I'm sure there must be a defect. I haven't dropped it, I can carry it or slide it onto my pocket with a clip. I've had many phones over the years and have not had any crack, I am super careful.
Any possible way to make it invisible without replacing screen?

Ginger_Princess

Jun 25, 2017
Visit site
Something similar happened to me!! I was at work, took my phone out of my pocket to check the time. All was normal. Then a few hours later I hear a message go off (note my phone is in a DURABLE CASE during this). I pull it out and all of a sudden, only half of my screen is working. The other half is completely black and won't respond to anything. I've literally had this phone for six months and I've never dropped it. I look closer and there is a freaking hairline crack underneath my screen, onto the AMOID part of the phone. Apparently it's a pressure crack, from a part of my case that was slightly broken and it somehow punctured my phone enough to make it break. What the hell?! I've had phones for years and I've literally never had a crack happen with literally no errors on my part. Samsung apparently has a serious default in their AMOID screens. Thank God my phone was a $50 J3 or I'd be a lot more upset