Hands on review

john30308

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the hands on review. I'm curious about outdoor visibility as you say it's worse than the 6P. Is it a brightness issue or glass reflections/coatings? Because, the 6P is reviewed as having max brightness of ~340 nits and the x4 is ~510.

My 6P died the "bootloop death" so I can't compare now, but here's what I know. The 6P was so good, I had completely forgotten that outdoor visibility was even an issue with phones, and I live in a bright place and use a boat a lot. It hadn't even crossed my mind for a long time. The first time I used my Moto 4X, the issue popped out front and center. Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible, but you have to shade the phone or turn away from the sun, etc. on bright days. You can read it fine with a little positioning. Hope this helps.

captainkirkw

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Instead of doing another full review, as I pretty much feel the same way about the Moto X4 as john30308 does, I will add that I had one issue with my Amazon Exclusive version so I requested a refund and sent it back. Fortunately, my wife had ordered an unlocked one for me from Motorola and it arrived Saturday so I set that one up and I have been using it.

The issue I had with the Amazon version, and I am sure it was just a problem with that partucular phone as it has not happened with the one from Motorola, was that it would not always charge. I plugged it in Friday morning when I first got it and charged it to about 92% before I started going through the setup since I knew that would tax the battery. The setup went fine and it was only down to about 82% when that was done. I used the phone throughout the day like I would with my current daily, the Moto Z Play, and I didn't need to charge it until Saturday morning around 10:00 am when it got to about 18%.

I plugged it in and saw the Turbo Power connected message and saw the charging battery icon in the notification section, but when I cam back about an hour later, it was in battery saving mode and was down to 12%. I made sure the plug was in securely, flipped to the battery screen, but it showed that it was not charging. I switched chargers and cables but still got the same results. I then rebooted and charging started working so let it charge up to about 45%, used it for awhile and then wanted to fully charge it to take it out with me for the day. Again, I had the same no charging issue and had to reboot to get it to charge. At that point, I boxed it back up, got the refund started with Amazon, dropped it off at UPS, and set up the one from Motorola.

No charging issues with it or any other issues so far. It is plenty fast, the build quality is really nice, well except for the thin SIM/Memory card tray, bit other than that I like it as much as I did my 2014 64GB Moto X Pure, which was my daily phone until I wanted super battery life and got the Z Play.

I got a few compliments on how nice the phone looked, especially in the Sterling Blue color, as one of my friends thought it was stainless steel. The brightness of the screen when using it in bright sunlight is what I would expect since I have had all of the Moto X 's and the Z Play, not great but again, not unexpected. I will wait to comment on battery like once I put it through a few days of typical daily use. I know it will not be like my Z Play, but if it can make it from topping it off in the morning before work and last until I get home, then that will be fine.

I love the feel of it and will use it naked until my clear Cimo Premium Slim Protective Cover arrives in a few days and then I will see how much extra thickness that ads, but for now the Moto X4 is batrely noticeable in my pockets and while it is kind of slick, I have not had any issues with coming close to having it slide out of my hands.

I haev enjoyed all of my Moto phones and still have two of the 2013's, one is still brand new, I skipped the 2014 initially and bought the 2015 without even seeing it, which in hind sight was a mistake as it was just a bit too big and top heavy for me to use comfortably. I kept it around as a backup but will be listing it for sale soon as I only used it for a month or so before I luckily caught the 2014 64GB Pure on sale directlt from Motorola. I enjoy the battery life of my Z Play but wanted something smaller to replace my 2014 Moto X and this X4 seems to do that nicely.

I will follow up with battery life, teh clar case, and anything else that I feel I should mention, sometime later this week.

I did buy a Samsung Galaxy S8 when it came out and while the screen looked great and it was fast, I cannot get used to the 18:9 aspect ratio and it was so slick that I knew I would end up letting it slip if it I used it for too long without the case, so I sent it back. The phone that I compare everything too for feel and screen size, and this may seem odd to a lot of people, is my LG G Flex 2. That has been my favorite phone as far as in the hand feel, size in my pocket, and overall screen size without much extra bezel. I have a Galaxy Note 4 with a second number that I use as my work phone, and I will sometimes take the micro sim out of it and swap it in the G Flex 2 so I can use it. A 5.5' screen is really the sweet spot for me as long as the overall phone is not too big and I was really hoping that LG would have continued the Flex line.

Anyway, I am a gadget nut and keep way too many of my old cell phones and tablets, but it is fun to go back and use some of them everyone once in awhile and I am definitely not going to run out of backups. :)

captainkirkw

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, I spoke too soon on the battery charging issue as it happened again this morning. It seems to only do this after quite awhile of inactivity but none the less, I should not have to restart the phone to get it to charge so I will contact Motorola and see what they say. I want to keep the phone but want this little issue fixed.

Last edited:

john30308

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Someone had asked about battery life a while back. I've had the phone for almost 2 months now. Battery life is excellent - best of any "Nexus" caliber phone I've had. I easily go all day, using it for work and reading news, YouTube, Xfinity TV, etc. The thing that drains it the most is navigation, but I usually plug it in the car if the trip is more than an hour or so.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
The one button nav is a Moto action that hides the navigation bar (home, back and recent apps) and let you use the fingerprint sensor to navigate. I wasn't sure if this option was available on your specific model.

Just read this thread (since I just got the phone last week) and didn't see that this was answered. Yes, it does have the one button nav, which I am really starting to like. Great phone in this price range.

captainkirkw

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
There is only one thing that is really annoying me about the Moto X4 and that is the camera app. It is slow, freezes, and sometimes difficult to exit. I like the features of the stock camera app and want it to work correctly so is anyone else having issues? If not, then I may need to send mine back and have them fix it or replace it.

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I have had this phone for 3 weeks and generally love it. it looks fantastic on and off, especially the metallic blue. battery life is solid and performance is mostly great. the one exception, and it is a big deal, is the camera app. slow slow slow. it takes 3-4 seconds from launch to be ready and another 1-2 after pressing the shutter to capture the image. I have missed a lot of shots because of this and have a camera roll full of photos of my feet because I launched the camera, tapped the shutter, and then lowered there phone thinking the picture was taken only to have the image actually recorded a few seconds later when the phone was now pointed down or sideways or something.

The camera experience really drops an otherwise satisfyingly good experience with the phone.