Has anyone had any battery swelling on their Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

We (my wife) bought a phone in Canada through TELUS in late spring of 2020. A beautiful Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G. We thought jumping in on the 5G wagon would be a wise move, considering the network was launched and we thought we could get faster speeds (that was a mistake, not much difference then the 4G network)...

I took the case off the phone to clean it, and noticed that the side edge of the phone was starting to lift off. I took it to a local phone repair shop as I thought it was suspicious. The tech immediately thought that it could be a swollen battery. So, I took it in TELUS store to inquire about the warranty and repair. The phone was fully functional when it was dropped off at the store.

The phone was mailed to Mississauga at the Samsung repair shop. The phone was opened up, and we got it back unrepaired with a note that the phone had circuit board damage and they couldn't fix it. (the cost of the repair would be too high).

Now, the phone won't turn on. Nothing. I suspect that the battery was not put back in and it feels significantly lighter than what it used to weight.

Samsung does not have a stellar record with batteries, so I am wondering if any had similar swollen batteries issues with their phones?

Thank you,
Guy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Don't manufacturers often exclude the battery from warranty? Or is that only for normal wear and tear of the battery (which this obviously isn't).

CPan

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Just had the same problem last night. I’m on Verizon in the US. Put in the insurace claim last night, $199 poorer and the replacement should be here today. She was having issues over the past few days where the phone showed at >60% charged but it would just shut off. When restarted it showed 0% battery. Last night she took off the case for some reason, beamed that it was the pale blue, then couldn’t get it back in her case. I tried it and found that the corner was split open about an eigth of an inch.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Just had the same problem last night. I’m on Verizon in the US. Put in the insurace claim last night, $199 poorer and the replacement should be here today. She was having issues over the past few days where the phone showed at >60% charged but it would just shut off. When restarted it showed 0% battery. Last night she took off the case for some reason, beamed that it was the pale blue, then couldn’t get it back in her case. I tried it and found that the corner was split open about an eigth of an inch.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Robert Greenhouse

Dec 29, 2021
Visit site
Agree if it's under warranty should have been fixed by Samsung.

I have a a Galaxy S20 Ultra and I noticed my case not fitting right back in April 2021 then one day I was trying to find out why the phone was not sitting in the case correctly and I thought that if the adhesive only needs a hairdryer to loosen it then maybe the case warmed it too much, but when I called Samsung they said some models were having problems with swollen batteries, but they weren't aware that mine had that problem! Then I said to the Rep that as this was one of the first batteries with 5000 mah it is most likely susceptible to extra heat levels. Since then I have been trying to get the phone to be looked at and repaired with the extended warranty one time courtesy and I was given a UPS label to send it in!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have a a Galaxy S20 Ultra and I noticed my case not fitting right back in April 2021 then one day I was trying to find out why the phone was not sitting in the case correctly and I thought that if the adhesive only needs a hairdryer to loosen it then maybe the case warmed it too much, but when I called Samsung they said some models were having problems with swollen batteries, but they weren't aware that mine had that problem! Then I said to the Rep that as this was one of the first batteries with 5000 mah it is most likely susceptible to extra heat levels. Since then I have been trying to get the phone to be looked at and repaired with the extended warranty one time courtesy and I was given a UPS label to send it in!
Welcome to AC!
Yeah definitely send it in .
I had my pixel 4xl recently wouldn't power up abd but it brand new , I decided to make a appointment with ubreakifix which is certified repair center for Samsung/Google devices, so last week was my appointment and arrived and explained my situation the guy at the counter said it's known issue with pixel 4xl battery and I'm covered by Google extended battery replacement , he then said it could be the motherboard and I asked is that also covered by Google and he said yes. It ended up just being battery replacement for free.

Never try to attempt to fix until they see it otherwise they will reject any warranty and blame for tampering with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332