Has the One X already lost steam?

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
That's not clear at all. Maybe YOU like it better, but that dosen't make it a better phone. I have the One X and the SG3, and haven't used the S3 since the first couple days I owned it. With a custom Rom, the One X blows the stock S3 out of the water, in performance and battery life, and has a much better screen to boot. Now I agree the EVO 4G lte is better than the One X, seeing as it's got identical hardware plus an SD card. Now if only it was available on any network other than Sprint.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

What can the one x do that the s3 can't?

And you can't compare a custom rom to stock!

Plus 2gigs>1

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

r3g

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Be patient. Once kernel source is released development will pick up. Though I wouldn't say its at a stand still in its present state. As for bugs being ironed out, the only major bug I'm aware of is the multitasking. That's only on Sense ROMs. Flash an AOSP based ROM solves that problem.

dfve

May 30, 2011
Visit site
my brother just got the s3. I have the hox. I would not trade my phone for his straight up. The hox is a better phone in my opinion. Screen is way better, my battery is better, the build on the hox seems much better, the hox is a better looking phone.

you tellem!

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Haha. It ain't far from the top but I'll bump it anyway. :p

For those skeptical about forum activity correlating with popularity (not good or bad merits, but pure SALES and number of people owning/buying the phone), all the popular phones that have sold tens of millions of units have vast amounts of posts and threads whereas less popular phones will have far fewer, and may not even have a forum in most cases. These are geek devices, with a million functions and a million problems. If there are no novices asking questions, and a whole stream of them constantly, there's a problem. Not even gonna mention devs and hacking and all that, because 99% of users don't know or care about it. Bugs have nothing to do with it since a perfectly working phone will still have people asking how to use it, because it is a smartphone, and they are very complex.

There's definitely a big speed and response difference between the GSIII and HOX, that one's definitely not debatable. Why HTC didn't try to release the HOX on more carriers, I wouldn't know. They should've had the clout from their strong sales last year at least. The 4G LTE version on Sprint is just so hideous, it shouldn't count as the HOX. The Verizon one also deviates too much. Even beyond marketing and availability, I think the biggest draw is still the AMOLED display for most consumers. Regardless of what reviewers and phone geeks will say, the punchy and bright saturated colors really draw people in. They do the same thing for HDTVs at the store, turn on VIVID and the colors go crazy and people's skin turn orange and red. The HOX is saturated, but no where near that neon glow of color on AMOLEDs. Stores will set it to 100% brightness and it goes BOOM. Plus the large 4.8" size. If you have no idea anyhow, just go for the brightest and shiniest one. Or maybe I'm just talking out of my behind since I cannot qualify as a normal consumer or pretend to know what they think. :p

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The thread isn't about whether its a good or bad phone, its about whether its lost steam and whether people have lost interest. AGAIN, a supposedly controversial topic and less than two pages after 3 days pretty much speaks for itself. Go to the XDA forums and look around. Today's Posts rarely go past the first page in most sections. I use the One X daily and its a very good phone, but it has lost its luster faster than any others in recent memory, that I'm aware of.

I'm pretty sure the constant development on XDA every day says you're wrong. You should note the One X and the One XL are in different sections.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
What can the one x do that the s3 can't?

And you can't compare a custom rom to stock!

Plus 2gigs>1

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

I have like 500 megs free out of a gig running LOADS of stuff. The 2 gigs makes zero difference in performance. What does it have that my S3 doesn't? Well mainly the ability to stably over clock the CPU, and most obviously, a screen that blows the S3 out of the water. When I bought the S3 I hoped that it's screen would be nearly as good as the One X's. Boy, was I sorely disappointed. And for the moment at least, I can't run a stable ROM on my S3, and my One X gets way better battery life with CM9 than the S3 with touchwiz. Gonna slap that new Jellybean ROM on my S3 and see how it does.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I have like 500 megs free out of a gig running LOADS of stuff. The 2 gigs makes zero difference in performance. What does it have that my S3 doesn't?

lol...the HOX is notorious for essentially no multitasking due to RAM issues from aggressive app management...

the HOX could def use 2 gb of ram...that is huge!

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
lol...the HOX is notorious for essentially no multitasking due to RAM issues from aggressive app management...

the HOX could def use 2 gb of ram...that is huge!

It doesn't need it once you put on a AOSP ROM. The only reason for it needing that much ram is sense/touchwiz/whatever crappy manufacturer cover is on the system. Same with my nexus 7. You get like 500+ megs free ram with tons of apps open. The only reason you would need 2 gigs is terribly bloated garbage software that comes stock. As I SAID, I'm not talking stock. I think the One X is better with a AOSP rom. It gets way better battery life than the S3 too, which tells you had bad the software on it is.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the hox has run out of steam yet. The gs3 is cool. But plenty of people like myself don't see a difference with the 2gb of ramsince 1 is good enough. The screen is what I think Is great over the other phones on AT&T and It's why the hox won't lose steam for me.

Just because forum activity had slowed doesn't mean it still ain't cool ;)

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

gpo1956

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the constant development on XDA every day says you're wrong. You should note the One X and the One XL are in different sections.

The last time I looked today, there was one section out of 5 that had Todays Post onto the second page. And that is pretty unusual. And yes, I'm talking about the One XL section.

calvin35

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I have like 500 megs free out of a gig running LOADS of stuff. The 2 gigs makes zero difference in performance. What does it have that my S3 doesn't? Well mainly the ability to stably over clock the CPU, and most obviously, a screen that blows the S3 out of the water. When I bought the S3 I hoped that it's screen would be nearly as good as the One X's. Boy, was I sorely disappointed. And for the moment at least, I can't run a stable ROM on my S3, and my One X gets way better battery life with CM9 than the S3 with touchwiz. Gonna slap that new Jellybean ROM on my S3 and see how it does.

It does great! Camera working....sort of and very fast and smooth.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The last time I looked today, there was one section out of 5 that had Todays Post onto the second page. And that is pretty unusual. And yes, I'm talking about the One XL section.

I know mate, I'm on there every day. Plenty of stuff going on. Not a week has gone by that I don't have new ROM/revision to try out.

nytrus113

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
We will see which phone between the SGSIII and the HOX gets official updates in a more timely fashion. I already know the answer. Never going back to a Samsung device because I'm not a rooter/modder and I do like to have the latest OS in a "timely" fashion. Last time i checked, the Samsung Galaxy S never even got a Gingerbread update. And I also have a SGS2. When's that gonna get ICS? I bet my HOX has jellybean first.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
We will see which phone between the SGSIII and the HOX gets official updates in a more timely fashion. I already know the answer. Never going back to a Samsung device because I'm not a rooter/modder and I do like to have the latest OS in a "timely" fashion. Last time i checked, the Samsung Galaxy S never even got a Gingerbread update. And I also have a SGS2. When's that gonna get ICS? I bet my HOX has jellybean first.

I figure u mean SGs2

if so, ICS is already out on it..

but i do agree, sammy is slow with updates...its mostly sprint though

r3g

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I think one thing people don't think if enough is quality over quantity. I've been in dev sections and seen 2 pages of active ROMs. at first glance it seems great but upon closer inspection you notice that they're all based off 1-3 different ROMs or AOSP with different themes, interchangable kernels, and minor changes. Rather have fewer solid and significantly different ROMs than pages and pages of clones .

as of now there are 2 AOSP based ROMs, one being daily driver status and a hand full of sense based ROMs. when kernel sources comes out there will be bugs ironed out and more. what more do you want?

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

Ics was released for sgsII few weeks ago...

I don't see the fascination with updates. If one likes a phone when they got, why unlike it when another phone gets an update but not yours? I haven't done research on this and don't care to, but if there's a phone brand that has stayed consistent with official updates then stick to that one. Just my opinion :)

MaxO

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Galaxy s 3 seems to be grabbing all the headlines.. ALMOST makes this phone seem like its not a big deal.. but now that I got one I know it is

Reactions: erwaso

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I think one thing people don't think if enough is quality over quantity. I've been in dev sections and seen 2 pages of active ROMs. at first glance it seems great but upon closer inspection you notice that they're all based off 1-3 different ROMs or AOSP with different themes, interchangable kernels, and minor changes. Rather have fewer solid and significantly different ROMs than pages and pages of clones .

as of now there are 2 AOSP based ROMs, one being daily driver status and a hand full of sense based ROMs. when kernel sources comes out there will be bugs ironed out and more. what more do you want?

More than 2 truly unique. aosp Roms. Not many but more than 2. Lurk more.