Verizon Galaxy S8 Hide album art without hiding audio

Mrduder21

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
So here's the deal.... Coming from iphone and this phones way of sorting and displaying and what-not is really annoying. I transferred all my music to this phone. It's all there. Now all my album art shows in my gallery. Dumb. Really really dumb. Well, I can hide those images one by one under settings in the gallery. That solves my problem of them showing while using JUST the gallery app. Any other app I use that then uses your image gallery or whatever shows all those images still! For instance, if I open Instagram and click the button to post a picture from my photos it the brings up thousands and thousands of images even though I hid them.

Now, I know you can put those in a .nomedia folder. Great. That works as well. No longer in the gallery and no longer in the instagram posting picture gallery. But the annoying and incredibly dumb part is that my music is no longer visible in the music application because the music is all in the .nomedia folder.

Is this really how these phones work? This is absurd. Only images I want in my gallery are pictures I take or download or screenshot or whatever. Not every single image on the freaking phone.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what music app you're using but I hide the album art from Google Photos and the Samsung Gallery app using the .nomedia trick and Poweramp has no issue seeing the music files and showing the album art.

The trick is to put a .nomedia file, no extension, in your music folder, not to use a ,nomedia folder. That might be your issue.

Mrduder21

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
Ok just did that. Created a .nomedia file and it's inside my music folder. Restarted my phone. Pictures are gone from gallery. Good. But music player won't find my songs now. So that's no different than putting my music in a .nomedia folder.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
What music player are you using?

It's different because other music management programs can be used to have album art but no image file needed in the folder. The album art will be part of the song file itself.

I guess iTunes and iOS defaults to using a separate album art file from the music files.

Mrduder21

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site

It's different because other music management programs can be used to have album art but no image file needed in the folder. The album art will be part of the song file itself.

I guess iTunes and iOS defaults to using a separate album art file from the music files.

I'm using Pi music player. I downloaded several other music player apps too, and the only one so far that found the files with the .nomedia file now in the music folder, is Poweramp. But that music player might just be the worst user interface of all time. And it costs money...... does anyone know of any other apps that will work that are free?

Mrduder21

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site

Also, to this, I don't have an album art folder anywhere. The album art is just embedded in the audio files themselves. Not sure if that makes any difference???

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Your album art is not embedded if the phone's gallery can see them. It's most likely that an invisible image file is inside every album folder. I've encountered this years before. So I started using Musicbee on my PC to embed the images into each music file and manually deleted every instance of the separate album art image, and use that to manage my music, until I eventually shifted to Spotify.

Sorry can't be much more help. I've stopped managing music files years ago. But that's how I solved my problem back then when I encountered what you are experiencing right now.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I too use MusicBee to manage my music on my PC. I have been embedding the album art in the music files for some time but still have some stuff that has/had ablum art in separate files.

I've only used Poweramp on Android and I happen to like it. It has a lot of customability and tweaks. Also I don't have any issue paying devs for decent apps. I hate adware and would much rather pay for an app I like and use rather than put up with advertising.

Mrduder21

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
i downloaded poweramp but the interface is terrible. it's the only app so far that will find the music with the .nomedia file in there. so it may be the only solution. super annoying though. this is an absolutely absurd way for this platform to work. i had all my music on my iphone and didnt have 6000 album art images in my phones camera roll. ridiculous.....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sam_274