Hisense Sero 7 Pro - Unboxing pictures (no video)

kernmal

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Pro or LT? I have the Pro and the screen is a pleasant surprise also no issue with SD door

Posted via Android Central App

The Pro.
The screen is great. But the display is not evenly framed by the Bezel.
And the issue with the microSD slot door was only apparent after I put in a card.

Neither issue is a big enough deal for me to return it. Everything else works great. Best surprise was how fast the GPS got initial lock.

vickyg2003

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I picked one of these up last week and finally unboxed it today. Walmart had about 50 of each a few days before the launch. Like Nighthawk, my charging stalled, the power supply was cool to the touch and unit was stuck at 65%. After an hour of no progress, I held the power button down and powered the unit off. The transformer got hot and when I checked an hour later I was at 82%,

My problem is that I can't find the manual. In fact before I saw these unboxing pictures, I missed the little pamphlet as well I. Thanks to the OP I dug through my garbage and found the pamphletto Hisense Manuals and entered the model number from the back M470BSA and didn't turn any thing up. I am an Android newbie. If anybody could recoommend some reading material to get me up and running, I'd be greatful.

Seoulmama

May 27, 2013
Visit site
How long can you try it out before having to return it? I cracked my nexus 7 and I want to hold out on buying another till the new one comes out. I might pick up a Sero 7 pro tomorrow though.

larry313

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I picked one of these up last week and finally unboxed it today. Walmart had about 50 of each a few days before the launch. Like Nighthawk, my charging stalled, the power supply was cool to the touch and unit was stuck at 65%. After an hour of no progress, I held the power button down and powered the unit off. The transformer got hot and when I checked an hour later I was at 82%,

My problem is that I can't find the manual. In fact before I saw these unboxing pictures, I missed the little pamphlet as well I. Thanks to the OP I dug through my garbage and found the pamphletto Hisense Manuals and entered the model number from the back M470BSA and didn't turn any thing up. I am an Android newbie. If anybody could recoommend some reading material to get me up and running, I'd be greatful.

I would suggest you tube, look for android walk throughs and you will learn more than any manual

Posted via Android Central App

Powerplaygraphix

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
None of the Android devices allow you to install apps on the SD card without being rooted. They WILL allow you, if the app is allows it, to do the "move to SD" option on some apps. This leaves the "launching" part of the app on the onboard memory and moves all the support files to the SD card to shrink the footprint of the app. To completely move the whole app, you'll need to root it (or any Android device).

I'm watching the feedback on these pretty close. I like the Nexus but some of it's shortcomings, like no SD, no camera, no hdmi, are answered for less money in this thing. I've been going back and forth between the Nexus 7 and the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (LOVE the wacom pressure sensitive stylus - since I'm a graphic artist that uses a wacom pad constantly anyway). The Note 8's price is what really makes it hard to jump on though.

I'll let you guys run the Sero for a while and see how it holds up before deciding.
:cool:

vickyg2003

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Larry. Go Tigers!

I volunteer in a help desk situation, and where people come to me with all sorts of computer issues. I can handle most operating systems, but Android was giving me fits. I had looked for videos on Android, but couldn't find anything that helped me. That's why I purchased the Hisense in the first place. I wanted to get some Android experience. I was still frustrated.

I actually found a QUE book ,. "My Google Nexus 7 and Nexus 10" that helped me tremendously with the Hisense. If you ignore the user account stuff, most everything else applies.
1) The book covered the keyboard basics, including gesture typing (ick) .
2) Customizing the home screen to get rid of that big picture of Tom Cruise, adding widgets, resizing widgets.
3) The swipes to get to the settings and notifications.
4) Setting up Google Now and Navigation.
5) And using the camera controls, was spelled out clearly.

jpisini

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Debating on picking this up next weekend. Anyone know if you can install apps on the SD card?

Someone over at XDA said you can move apps to sdcard with an app called GL 2 SD but as stated above you need to root the device and then there is the app in the play store that works on this tablet. There is a version of CWM and a root already available for this tablet I have it and have done both. There is also a custom ROM already but I haven't tried it yet although I am planning to at some point. Nice tablet for the money I have only had it a couple of days so I am still putting it through the paces but I like it so far.

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I am an Android newbie. If anybody could recoommend some reading material to get me up and running, I'd be greatful.

When I got my first Android device I got a lot out of the resources on this site - there are a couple of useful threads, like "Intro to Android for Blackberry users" and such things. I don't have them at my fingertips right now but they should come up with a little poking around. They were very good.

ETA I found the mother lode, it was under "Help and How To" on the top menu bar. http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/31622-getting-started-android-tips-tricks.html

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone found the Wal-mart tie-ins annoying or impossible to get rid of? or the "skin" I hear is on the OS?

Seoulmama

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone found the Wal-mart tie-ins annoying or impossible to get rid of? or the "skin" I hear is on the OS?

What kind of tie ins does it have? Like pop ups or advertising? My finger is hovering over the purchase button right now. That would almost discourage me from buying it.

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
What kind of tie ins does it have? Like pop ups or advertising? My finger is hovering over the purchase button right now. That would almost discourage me from buying it.

I know - mine has been hovering there all weekend! I'm making myself wait until the reviews really tell me all the stuff I want to know. I know it comes preloaded with Walmart and Sam's apps, which I would assume you can disable - someone said there was a skin on the OS so I want to know what that means. It's Google Play certified so it can run everything in the Google store, and someone installed the Amazon store already, both of which are good.

MarkSeven

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

You can uninstall the WalMart & Sam's club apps just like any app you install. You cannot uninstall Vudu, however, but you can disable it.
There is no skin, it's pretty much Vanilla Android.. The only difference I see is that they added a dedicated Screenshot button next to the 3 main buttons on the bottom (Back, Home, Multi & Screenshot).

So far so good with this tablet but some apps aren't compatible for it yet being that it's brand new and pretty much came outta nowhere. I was unable to install Amazon and certain games and also Asphalt 7 would install but would get stuck at the "Gameloft" start up screen. The Google Play store was rather fidgety for me as well.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I purchased mine on the 24th.
I deleted the Walmart, and sam's apps. Beyond those 2 apps there is nothing to tie it to Walmart.
No skin that I can see, deleted the installed widget's from the home screen.
Disabled Vudu.

It's a plain vanilla android tablet.
I've had no problems loading apps from Play store or Amazon, (I don't play games so can't comment on that)
I have duplicated all the apps on my Samsung SIII phone, and Asus tablet without problems.
My guess would be that if you can load an app on Nexus7 you can load it in the Sero7.

I have had zero problems with the tablet so far.
Battery life has meet the predictions on the box.
Right now it was unplugged 5 hours and 53min ago and with constant use the battery indicator says there there is 54% left.

This is my 4th tablet and so far the fastest and most

(Edit) Forgot the only con so far, No accessories available.
No cases, nothing, accept generic slip cases.

Last edited:

nighthawk700

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site

I have two launchers on mine... Nova Launcher (Prime), and Kids Place Parental control for when I hand it over to the kids. Both work just fine. I've completely ignored the Sam's and Walmart apps, haven't bugged me a bit.

rlhammon

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Being the OP, I believe I covered this in the very first post.

There are apps for Walmart and Sam's Club.. you can uninstall them as you would any other app.

The only thing I could see someone saying was a "skin" was the rather large widget (?) which might be part of the Vudu app. I don't know what it was, because I simply removed it without issue. There are no "ties" to anything, and certainly no advertisements on this.

It works well enough that my family went out and bought two more... we have 3 of the 5 my town (one other was sold over the weekend), and we are all loving the tablet.

I had been looking at the Nexus 7, and was hoping for an update at I/O, but without a price drop and no word of a new tablet, it was a no brainer to pick this Sero 7 Pro up.

vickyg2003

May 27, 2013
Visit site
When I got my first Android device I got a lot out of the resources on this site - there are a couple of useful threads, like "Intro to Android for Blackberry users" and such things. I don't have them at my fingertips right now but they should come up with a little poking around. They were very good.

ETA I found the mother lode, it was under "Help and How To" on the top menu bar. http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/31622-getting-started-android-tips-tricks.html

Thanks, I'll look through that thread too.