Home Screen Notifications Render Issue

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
But usually go to settings>apps>3 dots upper right corner tap>reset app preference or in settings top search bar type out reset app preference or app preference

Reactions: J Dubbs

Mike-EEE

Aug 1, 2018
Visit site
Have you changed your font or font size? Also, did make any changes in 'Developer options' ("Smallest width" in particular, which can also have a small effect on vertical)?

Does tapping the down-arrow on the notification expand it and look normal? Are you using a non-OEM launcher?
Doh! I missed this post @Mr. Lucky sorry about that! I have tried Font Size and Display size courtesy of the Google News Forum thread and neither of them worked.

I did not make any changes to developer options that I can recall, and the smallest width is set at 320dp.

As for the toasts, yes, if I expand them they render as expected. I am not using an OEM launcher and everything is pretty much default. The only thing I can think of is the workspace folders that I made trying to get Google Voice to work (it too was also broken on this phone when I first got it but now works).

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Doh! I missed this post @Mr. Lucky sorry about that! I have tried Font Size and Display size courtesy of the Google News Forum thread and neither of them worked.

I did not make any changes to developer options that I can recall, and the smallest width is set at 320dp.

As for the toasts, yes, if I expand them they render as expected. I am not using an OEM launcher and everything is pretty much default. The only thing I can think of is the workspace folders that I made trying to get Google Voice to work (it too was also broken on this phone when I first got it but now works).
This is probably a long shot, but I've had some strange issues in the past just having developer options turned on... in fact that's one reason I don't use it anymore, that and the fact I don't really need the options it gives me.

Did your News problems start around the time you turned dev options on?

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
Did your News problems start around the time you turned dev options on?
If your answer is "no," try setting 'Smallest width' to 315. A smaller number will make everything larger, and it may be enough to push the Notification text downscreen where it belongs.

Mike-EEE

Aug 1, 2018
Visit site
Thank you for your continued and valuable support @Mr. Lucky et. al! It is appreciated. I did try turning off Developer Options and rebooting. No luck. I further tried 315 and did not seem to impact it.

Note that OneDrive works as expected:

Screenshot_2023-09-08-07-56-21-91_b783bf344239542886fee7b48fa4b892.jpg

Is there a way to modify images for notifications? OneDrive works and its images seem smaller. 🤔

Finally, worth noting that the "Expert" advice given in Google News Forums is to simply "live with it" 🙄

Mike-EEE

Aug 1, 2018
Visit site
> Is there a way to modify images for notifications? OneDrive works and its images seem smaller. 🤔

I am primarily interested in exploring this. OneDrive notifications work as expected, and its images are smaller, so I am thinking if there is a way to reduce the size of Google News notification images, I can get this resolved. 🤞

Mike-EEE

Aug 1, 2018
Visit site
I guess the "expert" I was talking to didn't like my problem and banned my account from Google Help Communities. 🤷‍♂️ I am still facing this issue. 😭

• Wow

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestion @JDubbs ... I think resetting app preferences is a good first step.

I tried following these directions to reset app preferences:

However, this is what I see (I do not see All Apps):

View attachment 355850

Under App Management, reset is not to be found in the menu:
View attachment 355851

Finally, I did a search for Reset app settings/preferences and the only thing that popped up was Reset All Preferences. Open to other suggestions. Thank you again to everyone for your assistance here.
Did you Reset All Preferences? It sounds like that's the setting you need. At this point it sounds like if it's bothering you enough, and resetting all preferences doesn't help, you might need to weigh living with it vs a factory reset. You've been very thorough, and I suspect most of us have ran out of suggestions for you unfortunately.

This has been one of those extremely stubborn problems that oftentimes ends up needing a factory reset to fix 😧

Personally I would just live with it, since when you expand the notification it displays normally. But you need to do what works for you 👍

Reactions: Mike-EEE

Mike-EEE

Aug 1, 2018
Visit site
Personally I would just live with it, since when you expand the notification it displays normally. But you need to do what works for you 👍
Yeah, I wish I could. Now in addition to it looking bad, I have a bit of a negative experience+association with the Google News Admin on a power trip every time that I see a broken notification. 😭 Resetting the phone is the obvious dreaded conclusion and one I was trying to avoid. I have had nothing but bad luck with this phone since getting it. Hopefully, this is the last issue. 🤞

I appreciate you taking the time to provide assistance and not ban me. :D

(Btw I tried resetting all settings and it persists :( )

Mike-EEE

Aug 1, 2018
Visit site
I tested my One plus 7 pro 5g on Android 12 no issues with notifications cutting off , is this with just Google News only?
Thank you for your continued support. Yes, only on Google News. Everything else works except this and now I have a banned account to unban. 😁🙃 Please note that I am using OxygenOS and Droid 13. 🤔

Mike-EEE

Aug 1, 2018
Visit site
Turns out there was an Appeal button on my profile and I was back within 12 hours of pushing it. Small victories. If only there was a button for this issue. 😬

Mike-EEE

Aug 1, 2018
Visit site
After many weeks I have a resolution:
> this issue is because the new version of Google feed 14.25. 13.28. arm64 has stability problems with the system. You can update Google feed through the Play Store to version 14.28.17.28. arm64, which fixes this issue

This is from OnePlus support which has taken many days to reply. Unfortunately it is not clear what it means to "update Google feed" when I search for this it does not appear in the results. 🤔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001