How do you drag and drop text on Android?

20GT

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Half of the time my phone doesn't let me copy text but instead tries to drag the text.

How does this work? I can't seem to drop it anywhere that will accept it.

If it's not trying to drag and drop what is it doing?

Edited:
It's a LG Stylo 3 with Android 7 OS

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You can't, you copy and paste it. If the app doesn't give you access to the clipboard (that's up to the app developer) you can't.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That's you setting the begin and end handles on the text you're about to copy. If you try dragging anything, you'll just move one of the handles.

20GT

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
That's you setting the begin and end handles on the text you're about to copy. If you try dragging anything, you'll just move one of the handles.

Are you looking at the picture or are you in some kind of denial? It's right there in front of you. Can you not see the words drag text floating below the same words above it?

What is the phone doing if not some kind of drag feature when everything selected follows my finger around the screen.

20GT

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I've colored it in light red for you. Please don't act like my phone is not doing this. Do you realize how hard it was to get that screenshot?

There must be other phones doing this as well. When It decides to do it I don't get thru "long press menu" that is supposed to bring up "copy/paste" it just starts floating my selection on the end of my finger.

Attachments

• IMG_20190321_032649.jpg
    IMG_20190321_032649.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 22

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I see what you're talking about. Drag & drop only works in certain text entry fields (I just tested it in the reply box on the forums website on Chrome, with Request Desktop Site turned on). I composed a short message, and was able to drag and drop a couple of words from the top line to one of the middle lines.

But it doesn't work in other apps (like Messages, Hangouts, etc.).

daninbluemd

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I've colored it in light red for you. Please don't act like my phone is not doing this. Do you realize how hard it was to get that screenshot?

There must be other phones doing this as well. When It decides to do it I don't get thru "long press menu" that is supposed to bring up "copy/paste" it just starts floating my selection on the end of my finger.

On my Note 10+ in some apps I can drag & drop (I wish all would allow). I've never seen the "drag text" message though and never have had a problem dropping it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharikkhan222143